1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Redwood 3.0 -by ZapWizard -Jan 15th '05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 19 Mar 2005.

1. Bum

Bum What's a Dremel?

This is looking to be a sharp mod. I like working with wood too and this will be the first mod I've followed that is made of real wood (as opposed to plywood). I'm going to look for your previous mods since I haven't run across them yet, though I've seen your name around the forums frequently.

I have two ideas that you may be able to use in the future to cut down (1st)working time and (2nd) money output with the wood.
    First is a trick to getting rid of the excess wood to create the curved surface. Here http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/images/etip011116ws-1.gif is a link to a picture that shows the basic technique. It's usually used to create simple raised panels for cabinet doors. You could use about 3 different angle cuts per curve to get down to a point where you could finish up with the sander. You'll also have some scrap pieces of that beautiful but expensive wood instead of a lot of expensive and irritating sawdust.
    Second is a thought about color. I think Paduak is great also and if you're wiling to pay for it, it certainly will look great but have you ever tried dyes (not stains)? I also don't like stains because of their lack of character but a dye will change the color of a wood without taking any grain texture or feature (i.e. curly, bird's eye etc..) away. You might give it a try on a future project.

I'll be looking forward to your progress on this mod. :thumb:

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Envirotex is supposed to be very strong. (So far it has been)
    It is used on bar and table tops.
    If something gets scratched up too much, you can sand it, clean it, and pour on another coat.
    I thought about cutting the rough curves by angling the saw table, but I was affraid that the wood could have split along the grain. (as some of the curve is right with the grain)
    I did not know about using dye instead of a stain, I have read the Padauk dust is actualy used to make dye. In either case I don't regret the cost of the wood, as it's still cheaper then many alluminum cases.

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Not only a Modder, but Master Woodworker as well :D Very nice Zap.

Uh oh... another Modder into Vdubs.. Looks like a mk4 Jetta trunk :eyebrow: ..maybe not.

4. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

I like your concept Design Graphic, I'm intrested to see how this is going to look in the end, it has a very moddern look to it! :) Keep it up

5. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Wow, my father being a woodworker, after I showed him this he was impressed. Great work! :rock:

6. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

Great mod zapwizard! Subscribed.
    I do have three questions though: (1)What kind of case feet are you planning? (2)From your CAD rendering it looks like you have LEDs illuminating form the bottom, would you incorporate them into the feet, if not what do you have planned? (3)How are you going to give the touch sensitive dial a wood finish matching the quality of the Padauk surrounding case? From what I've seen it needs a flexible covering and it seems like any faux wood covering would simply be inadequate.
    Sorry if these questions were addressed in one of the related threads I haven’t seen.

7. ZapWizard

Oh, I forgot the case feet photo:
    [​IMG]

The case feet are of my own design. All the parts are available at Home Depot. They layered with a rubber stopper, rubber washer, 1/8" plexi, 1/4" plexi, 1/8" plexi, rubber washer.

Each case foot will have eight white LEDs.
    They will be wired in series at +12volts, which will make them run at about 50% brightness, which is what I want for the feet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The touch sensative dial will work straight through the real wood. Nothing needs to be flexible, as nothing moves. I have to do have to etch the rear of the faceplate down to at least 3mm to make the touch circuit work, but that is something I am prepared for.

8. gokalper

gokalper What's a Dremel?

Awsome work

:rock: Zap, great work, every mod that you've done so far has been of superb quality and i'm sure this one is by far the best!

I was wondering though how much you got your veneer for...I wanted to rip the 1mm plastic plating off the front of the shuttle sn95g and put some 1mm veneer on it...Also does the veneer come in different types of wood...what would you recomend that would blend in with a black shuttle?

(sorry i know that its not original but i've wanted to make a wood case for some time, but with my experiece it'd take forever, also i hate the 99.9% blackness of the shuttle...You dont mind do you?)

I am however watching this project log very closely...and i mean close(as i drool over your previous redwood 1.0 )

I've actually done some modding with quantum's touch sensors ....they are awsome...i didnt even notice they came out with the ipod scroll wheel type.....Droool

Keep up the awsome work... :rock:

I want your laser engraver :waah:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2005
  9. ZapWizard

The Veneer was resonably priced at $1.20 sq/ft from http://www.constantines.com/
    I ordered 10 sq/ft just to be safe. I have probably ruined 4 feet working on the mouse. (More on that later)

Be aware the Qwheel is quite a bit more complicated as far as implimenting then QTouch switches. I am still working on the most efficient design.
    I already have the front panel schematic complete, more when that starts to come together.

10. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

with the Q products, you said the touch pad had to be 3mm from the finger right?
    becasue the wheel is on a curve peice of wood, and it looks to be more than 3mm of total curvage.

Also what will you use it for? changing music tracks?
    How will you connect it, what software?

11. endscape

endscape Minimodder

Zap, if you could get that wheel built and have some nice little software package driving it there could be some major cash in it, I'd buy one.

This mod is turning out very well, I'm impressed. I really like the general shape and the finish is wonderfully elegant.

Working with wood is so much more fun than metal isn't it?

12. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

Wow wow... :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

13. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

:eeek: realy amesing and it looks great :jawdrop:

14. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

In four words: Are you selling it?

15. ZapWizard

The sensor will be curved. It will be pretty tough.
    I have some copper tape which I will use to construct the sensor.
    I have to make a mold to fit the curve, contruct the sensor, then pour in two-part epoxy (not envirotex) in order to make the sensor permanent.

I will use the dial for chaning tracks, or really anything as the LCD can provide direct feedback. It came to be out of a challange from my friend Mr. Red (Shan Murphy in the MSI compotition) Basicly the PC was looking more and more like an old radio, with the WIFI antanna and all, and he said: "You need a dial." I said that I don't want any moving parts, I then visited the QProx website and saw their Qwheel... :wallbash: ...Well you know the rest.

The Qwheel uses's a SPI serial interface (Google it) I ordered a USB to RS232 chip, which can be used in a emulation mode, that i hope to emulate SPI. If not I have to polish up my Motorola 68HC11 skills and use it as an in-between for the Qwheel and RS232.
    The wheel circuit may be too custom for mass production. I may start a thread in the electronics area to get some help on it though.
    And yes, working with wood is much nicer then metal, no microscopic splinters.
    I hope I never need to sell it.

16. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

Hey Zap, looking amazing so far man... (much better than the original idea)

Two things I wanted to suggest to you...

1) the hinges in the front (awesome idea btw) would look much cleaner as one long continuous hinge across the front. I have used long piano hinges and just cut em off to length and sanded them up nicely for custom sized hinges.

2) The wood veneer on the mouse seems to be a real pain in the @$$. What about leaving the large main parts (the wierd curvy parts) and remaking/veneering a bunch of smaller parts of it ? (scroll wheel/buttons/etc.)

Best of luck with this and you better bring it to Quakecon this August!!

Vazz

17. ZapWizard

Thanks for the tip on the hinge, I wanted to get a single long hinge in the first place. I will check out a music repair store.

Well I have screwed this mouse up so bad with attempts to veneer it.
    (Try number 8 currently is at home in clamps)
    I may have to paint the curved part to cover up the marks. I guess it would be nice to make a wood scroll wheel and maybe a Logitech Logo out of wood.

18. Butterkneter

Butterkneter What's a Dremel?

Very nice piece of work.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

19. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

That is so elegant and smooth.

Love it!

20. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Intriguing and Inspiring...