1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Refraction- Final Photos And Closure @ 9:00 6/09/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 22 Jul 2011.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

They fit just into the rest ! :)
    Gonna look cool when paired:D

2. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

When I saw the enermax fan-rings in your first pic of that post, my first thought was "Waynio"... DAMN I'm good! :lol:

Love to see people in here coming together and helping eash other out! :)

Oh... Almost forgot, very nice build you got going there! :thumb:

3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Lovely - I kinda liked them with only one frame side attached - even gave me an idea on how to run these suckers with a custom frame. :dremel:

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Thanks p0Pe
    Yeah, glad you remembered :D
    Cheers
    I'm sure you'll think something up...

5. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

I liked what I did with the Enermax fans!
    Congrats!

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Awesome, glad to see you had no problem installing them, was a little worried you'd break more frames :hehe:, they'll fit right into this build mate, happy to see it :clap:.

Typing from Stealhlow BTW :D & I'm high as a kite from finally getting to this point :rock:.

8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Fantastic process my friend and indeed memories that will last a lifetime. Grandpa rocks with all that modding!!! :) Greetings to your grandpa from me, from the island of Cyprus!! :)

9. KidMod-Southpaw

I need to take a look at that, see you in 20 seconds, thanks anyway, I wonder if scan do returns for broken frames?
    Thanks Alex, it's wonderful to see you working on your own project again and great to have you here!

Last edited: 26 Aug 2011
  10. KidMod-Southpaw

AS for the new title, you'll find out why at about half eight tonght. First 3 to coomrnt get an exclusive interview with Captain Fire Spray. You'll all get the chance to ask one question each, and I'll bug him 'till he answers.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'd doubt it but no harm in asking, wonder if the scansure protection would cover that, suppose it should do really since they are designed so you can take them apart so worth asking I say :).

Captain Fire Spray :lol::D

Last edited: 27 Aug 2011
  12. KidMod-Southpaw

Want to ask him a question? I'll wake him up...

13. KidMod-Southpaw

Finally, I can stick a board in here! Anyway, I stayed over again last night so we could get it finished, so what's left?
    1) Install hardware
    2) Final photos

Back to the job, to all you non- believers out there, the cake isn't a lie:

[​IMG]
    Yum! Supper!

[​IMG]
    It was back to work in the morning, and the 10 or more microns of paint on the rangie panel has meant we had to scrap it, leaving a lot more work. :(

[​IMG]
    We'd almost savaged all of the elite 331, this was the last usable part of the case.

[​IMG]
    Not for the first time, this case would require the nibblers to make use of it- so more jagged edges were to follow!

[​IMG]
    A new front panel, well, almost.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately we had some issues with it twisting.. More work was to follow.

[​IMG]
    Sticks out like a sore thumb without a coat of paint doesn't it?

[​IMG]
    It kept bothering Grandpa, those uneven pillars. So he fixed them at last. Thinking about those pillars kept him awake at night, they consumed him...
    :eyebrow:

[​IMG]
    It was absolutely pouring down, we went to get some machined nuts and bolts, doesn't the rad look so much better?

[​IMG]
    Progress, I think!

[​IMG]
    We battled on with a solution to the front panel. Many cups of coffee and beans on toast later, we had more blocks to use!

[​IMG]
    We had a mounting solution, then we dug out a power switch and got it mounted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got on with painting the front panel.

[​IMG]
    While we were rooting in the garage, we found some crimp connectors to make the soldering job easier. That rocker switch is meant for cars.

[​IMG]
    That's what we need (except for the front page of the mail, I really don't understand how a picture of David Womble's daughter on holiday is front page news!)

[​IMG]
    After a lot of trouble with autofocus, we had one attached.

[​IMG]
    Looks better already.

[​IMG]
    I think that's both of them soldered.. My photos seem to have got mixed up.

[​IMG]
    It must be, because we're done with that, we tightened the plates, and put the mesh back on.

[​IMG]
    Meanwhile...

It really has gone quickly, and I've enjoyed every minute of this project. It may not be time to leave a closing statement yet, but until I install the hardware:
    I don't know how many weeks it's been, but I've enjoyed having a packhorse more than anything in the world. Grandpa, you're a hell of a guy and I'll give you the money for all those mini rolls. I may be lacking in the planning department and you may be lacking in the heath and safety department (at least you wore socks AND sandals today) but it's still a working case! You're bloody crazy but bloody wonderful!

14. KidMod-Southpaw

Upon forgetting, there is more work to be done. The power switch needs changing, as it's a rocker switch, signal only goes to one end, meaning that it would be like holding the button in, so it would turn off a few seconds after switching it on.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

I SHOULD be putting the new power switch in tomorrow providing I can get hold of an iron. If the timing is ok, I'll be installing the hardware on the same day.

16. KidMod-Southpaw

It's hard when you can't meet a deadline isn't it? I'm back at school tomorrow for some stupid reason as we only have 1 day before the weekend. I'm currently pondering whether my finances will allow me to buy 2 more fans... Anyway, we got a fully featured front panel finished and working:

[​IMG]
    This is just a small update, so I got a little lazy on the photos. We got the actual switch from a beige box and the switch cover came from the perspex case we've used to make this. The USB board came from an old Packard Bell.

[​IMG]
    We met another wall in the size of the stand-offs for the USB board. Luckily Grandpa brought a hacksaw in his portable workstation and I had the dremel present, so we cut them to size.

[​IMG]
    Low and behold- the threads were a problem too, so he took the drill to them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Success! We just need some nuts for them now.

[​IMG]
    Also pulled from the beige box were these nice little activity LED's, time for a glue gun!

[​IMG]
    Like I said- lazy. Apologies for the poor focus on this one, at least you can see that they're glued in.

[​IMG]
    We did the same with the switch and put the cover on.

I hope to get the hardware in ASAP, I'm considering just having 1 fan on the rad for now. Anyway, that should be the second to last update, we're almost across the finish line!

17. KidMod-Southpaw

Right, I've just bitten the bullet and bought 3 fans and a 3 way fan splitter, so I can get the hardware in!

Waynio likes this.
  18. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

good progress! And I like how you incorporated the form of the metal sheet (that you cut from the old case) into you front panel design. It actually looks pretty good. (You just need to paint it again...)

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Truly fantastic recycle job with this KidMod :):rock:. +rep for Captain Fire Spray, great team mod :D.

20. L1U

L1U Minimodder

copper finish on the Enermax fans was definitely a must-have, well done!