1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Shrink - Night photos added!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mars-bar-man, 3 Jul 2010.

1. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Gigabyte > DFI, especially since they decided to be huge douches and drop all but their enterprise stuff.

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The Gigabyte's an H55, not a P55. Even if it is a better overclocker, the Lynndale processor that mars-bar-man's using will overclock better on a P55. Whether the H55N-USB3 is so good that the P55's natural advantage is wiped out, I don't know, but I suspect not.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've had both a Gigabyte and DFI ATX board, and I far preffered the DFI board. So brand loyalty won out, also I want to own one on the last Lan Party boards :)

Exactly :) I read numerous reviews, from Clunk and here at Bit-Tech and found the DFI board to be more suitible for what I needed.

Anyway, mini update time. I've finally managed to install my GTX260 and HDD's into the case... It now not only weighs a tonne, but it's also REALLY cramped!

With the GTX260 + HDD's:
    [​IMG]

And now the pump back in, anyone spot the problem with the power connectors on the GPU and where the pump is placed?
    [​IMG]

Oh well, use some serious bending of the PCI-e cables and hey presto, perfect fit :) PSU also fitted:
    [​IMG]

And again:
    [​IMG]

Well, that's it for a while I reckon, there won't be any mroe updates for potentially 4 weeks or more. I need money but have more important things to pay for. If anyone wants to visit my FS thread they can ;)

Ta.

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Scythe Slip Stream Slim

This?

The fan really sticks out like a sore thumb that was hammered by a mad monkey wielding Thor.

5. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Nice and compact.

Must be fun trying to remove your HDDs now :D

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, I looked at them, thing is it'll still have to be mounted on the roof, there's no way I'll be able to get a fan in the case to cool it. I don't really notice it tbh, I may get one of those Scythe Gentle Typhoons though, get as much air through that rad as possible.

Fun? God no :p I have to remove the PSU, pump, and GPU. I need to remove the 5.25" drive bay in order to get to the HDDs because it's all one unit...which weighs a tonne!!

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Ahh, I like them GT's.

And this thread really makes me want to get a Q08B - it's just so pretty! :waah:

8. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

If I were you, I would build a sort of angled shroud out of aluminum to cover the fan, and make the top of the case a little more visually interesting. Other than that, looks great, I really like the fillport in the back, good idea (or use of someone else's idea, haven't seen that before :D)

Anyways, great job!

Have Fun!
    -SPNKR

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Haha, it is a truly beautiful case. Real glad I bought one.

Yeah, it does stick out a little, but I don't want to get too involved it building new parts for it. This is my real first mod after all!

And the fill port isn't actually in the case, it's propped there. But now you mention it, I may drill out the back to install it there.

And NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Bandwidth exceeded. Will have to upgrade to a Pro account. Bummer.

On the plus I'm looking at a £500+ paycheck, not bad for 2 weeks work at good olde McDonalds! So I should have either some modding or hardware pr0n coming up, also getting a DSLR withing the coming weeks so I'll have even more photos!

Keep watching! :thumb:

*EDIT*

Right, photo's should be back either now or soon. Just upgraded to a Pro account.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2010
  10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, you thought this project was dead did you?

Pah..

It's just been delayed. Courtesy of oliverw92, who put me in contact with a friend of his on Overclock.net I've been able to source an Intel Core i7 860 + 4Gb G.Skill ECO PC3-12800. All for £195. Although I have had to get rid of a tonne of my unused crap, but may as well let it go to a good home.

Also got my D3000, so fingers crossed for some decent pictures!!

Update coming on Friday when I collect the gear.

11. PureSilver

Dammit mars-bar-man! Could you see if he's got any other friends that need to offload Lynndales? :p

Looking forward to some updates!

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Haha, he may do. When I picked the PSU up from him he gave it to me in an i5-750 box; this is a kid... how the **** does he afford this kit?!

Well, unfortunately I didn't get the RAM, which isn't an issue as I'll just buy some in a couple of weeks. But, I've discovered something. Through the mods I've done on the case, or rather where I've placed stuff, my PSU won't fit. But it was never going to actually be the one I use. I'm looking to get an SFX PSU, specifically the one by Silverstone.

Anyway, on with the updates:

My workspace today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided I didn't like the fan sitting atop the case, ruined the look of it. So I've mounted the fan to the rad:
    [​IMG]

And now for some hardware, a Core i7-860 :) It's niiice:
    [​IMG]

In the mobo:
    [​IMG]

A little helping of TIM:
    [​IMG]

And you can see how cramped the case is, it's VERY:
    [​IMG]

And the watercooling loop as it will most probably be:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the case is much smoother now without the fan sticking out the top:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, that's it until tomorrow, going to head down to B&Q and pick up a 25mm holesaw so I can make a hole for the fillport. And if I can sell my PSU (check the marketplace :wink:), I'll be able to buy the SFX PSU I want as well as some coolant.

Peace out for now guys!

13. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Wow, nice. Seriously.

Looks like that 45 degree barb juuust misses the CPU block. Cramped indeed.

I'm really temped to build something similar, but I'm afraid that my hands won't fit in the cramped case and I'd have to buy a small child to put it together and I don't have that kind of money....

Out of curiosity, what RAM are you planning on using?

EDIT : Also, how the hell are you supposed to know what time it is on that clock/stand thingy?!

14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

My hands don't really fit tbh, they're akin to a giants.

And as for the 45 degree fitting? It just touches the CPU block bracket. As for the RAM? I'm not entirely sure yet tbh. I'm thinking of using some 1,600mhz stuff. Its just trying to find it. I'm going to stick a wanted post up soon.

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, instead of buying a step drill bit I'm borrowing my mum's bfs one, which is handy as that's saved me £23. Hopefully I'll get it during the week and crack on with some mods then.

I'm still curious on the coolant to use. I've thrown the idea of distilled water and a kill coil out the window as I reckon it'll end up more expensive. The coolant I'm thinking of is maybe clear Thermochill EC6. I'm not bothering with coloured fluid, I don't need it.

Also looked at Feser One, not sure what you guys think though. Any advice?

16. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

Waaaaay nicer this way !

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have heard that EC6 is one of the best coolants about and the clear should be fine as its usually the colouring that gunks stuff up.

I would still try and go for water and a kill coil though, you don't need to source any expensive distilled water just deionised which you can get from tescos or wilkos for around 50p for a litre. I ran it for about 6 months with no problems. I have seen a lot of people on forums who have been running deionsed for years.

The case looks great btw, you would never know what beast lies inside that tiny exterior. Good job!

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

That would be my sisters yr.8 DT project. I don't really know either tbh.

Thanks! I really like the look now, much nicer.

Ok, that's cool then, may make a trip into town and pick up a bottle, and hit up a jewelers to see if they have any off cuts of silver they don't want.

If now, it'll be EC6 :)

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

De-ionised water in both my machines here too. As long as the parts used are clean, then there is no worries about running it for months and months. Think mine has been in for a year now.

Just need to remember to remove the dust bunnies from the rad once in a while.

20. PureSilver

Looks much, much better with the internal fan - love it!