1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Shrink - Night photos added!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mars-bar-man, 3 Jul 2010.

1. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Very very well done there that man :thumb:

Tidy solution mate :)

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Thanks. Did you get the PM I sent? You said you had an idea for the HDD mounting. Wondering what it was.

As you can tell by my little shopping list, I've decided to W/C the GPU as well. Cut down on as much fan noise as possible. I just need to work out where to place the HDD. I'm thinking of placing it right underneath the 140mm fan, because with the waterblock installed on the GPU, it'll free up the second PCI slot. So I should be able to squeeze it in there.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Funny enough I was going to suggest one of these or something similar to mod :dremel:

Not necessarily to be purchased from Scan I might add

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Silverstone-SST-SDP06-transfer-bracket-525

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Perhaps. Thanks for the link. I reckon I can get hold of a few washers, and drill through the case/make the existing holes big enough for a M3 screw to fit through. Then place the drive on the case floot, accompanied by washers. Oooh, actually, I could use the rubber grommets I already have as a washer come silencer..

Thanks for the idea!!

5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

No probs :thumb:

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, update time, I've decided against a 140mm fan, too much hassle with sorting out HDD cages etc, plus I'm off to Uni in just over a week, so I want this build finished by then.

But first, I finally got my new motherboard through, which is awesome! Box:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what's included:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the case:
    [​IMG]

My idea for keeping the pump cool:
    [​IMG]

Loop all set up:
    [​IMG]

Hardware installed:
    [​IMG]

And oh, ****. What the hell has happened here? Well, there's a chip in the ports on the pump top, so water leaks, a lot. That was 20 seconds and gravity alone, the pump wasn't turned on. So, so far I've had one dead pump, one leaking pump. Wonder what next? A dead board? Anyway:
    [​IMG]

Here's how the build stands right now:
    [​IMG]

I'll update again tomorrow.

Thanks.

P.S. As for why the photos are so huge? Haven't a clue, they've all been resized to 640x480, so why they're pushing 1000x1000+ beats me.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2010
  7. tkgclimb

tkgclimb man it's all harder than it looks

Looks good, is the slim 140mm radiator for the front?

Anyway sounds like your running out of luck on this one, stuff breaking, not working, changing ideas, not fitting. Good perseverance, and it looks good (and it's functional)

One recommendation I would have, since your'e putting all this work in it would be a shame if it didn't look it's absolute best, i think you should sleeve all your cables. The ones that haven't been done and the ones that have (the factory psu sleeving job isn't the best), also you can sleeve them white to match the tubing. Well that's my 2 cents anyway.

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've decided against the 140mm rad now, the 120mm one I have keeps it at 40*C and 60*C at load, so I'm happy with it. As for the sleeving? If I had more money and more time I would have, but unfortunately I don't :/

And it's completed! Loop filled, cables tidied etc. A few thoughts? I've never known a loop to fill and bleed to fast!! I think I had it filled and bled in under an hour... my last loop took 6 >.<

Anyway, I'll have some pictures up tomorrow. But I've got to be up at 5am, so I need to get some rest. Thanks again :)

9. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

looks very good I have a request could you measurer the distance between the GPU and floor thanks:thumb:

wolfie

10. Moddern

Moddern Minimodder

Should come in handy at uni. By the time you've finished you'll have forgotten all about the PC.

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Thanks. I'll measure it up soon, Looks like you've got about a cm of free space there.

Haha, not likely, it's my life line! Plus it's being used for coursework etc!!

Last edited: 19 Sep 2010
  12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Nice one mate. I don't how you guys do it with small cases as I can only build them in big cases.

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I managed it with a lot of shouting, swearing, a multi-tool and tweezers.. They're really handy for plugging in power cables etc when the case is all cramped up..

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Subbed.

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Right, well here's a little necrobump.

I never really felt this mod was truely complete. So I'm going to lug it home at xmas and finish it off. This'll involve draining it, de-dusting it and making it look all pretty. Gong to make it a positive pressure case as well. I'm going to turn the top 120mm fan so it's an intake, giving nice cool air to the 120mm radiatior, I'm also going to place a 140mm in the there as well.

I'm going to give where to place the HDD's some more thought as well, I've got a few ideas, but noting final until I can get back.

Here's my latest shopping list:
    [​IMG]

I want to throw a GPU block in there as well, but they're just too expensive for me.

But anyway, that's the plan! Hopefully get some final photos up as well!

Ta peeps :)

**EDIT**

I just found this, and I've found the perfect way to mount the radiator, without losing my HDD cage! May need to throw a dust filter in. and I'll need to adjust this persons idea slightly, but I think I've sound out how to mount it! Epic win is epic!

Last edited: 28 Nov 2010
  16. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

I really think you could crap a 2 X 120mm rad under the gpu. You could have some of those slim scythe fans between the rad and case. Great work so far :thumb:

17. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

No chance of getting a 120.2 rad under there, no matter how thin is it, there's a about a 2cm gap there, just won't work.

Thanks for the idea though :)

18. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

want to drop your t-line? I've got an acrylic res top you can have mate :p

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

There's no t-line anymore, got a bay res instead :) Thanks for the offer though!

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Okay, double post, meh, it's my log :p

I've worked out how I can get the 140mm radiators installed and keeping the HDD's cool :)

What I need is something like this, except in a 140mm flavour...

Anyone know if they exist? I may be able to make one when I get back at xmas... But I'm not sure if I have any/enough scrap metal laying about...