1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project [THING] Raspberry Pi competition, COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 13 Feb 2013.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Dreps, Much appreciated.

The project is now complete, just working on the final presentation ... should post within the next few days

2. Asouter

Asouter --------

COMPLETE FINAL PICS 13/03/13

COMPLETE 13/03/13 FINAL PICS

So THING is complete, originally this was going to be a micro ITX build but lack of funds stopped it before it got off the ground. So with the Raspberry Pi competition it was an opportunity to get another build "out there".

So enough waffling here's the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally with the lights off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will do a vid but for now, thanks for watching, for your feedback and banter :cooldude:

I'll be back

Last edited: 12 Mar 2013
  3. Asouter

Asouter --------

Final pics

4. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Really cool, mate.

Looks great.

5. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Very nice!
    I've been having some quiet time trying to think if there is something to add. will be posting the final pictures this week as well.

6. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Nice work. All this rPi logs are awesome! :)

7. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Wow, thats awesome man....I mean the hand with the single Rpi was already cool, but you've added a GPU style cooler to it...looks pretty neat & will be hard to beat!

8. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers man :thumb:

Thank you Tekonivel, I was wondering where you were, I'll be looking forward to seeing the final pics from your build

Thanks C4B12, Yes all of the Pi logs have been awesome. Hopefully there's more to come.

Thanks Azariel, just checked out the start of your log, very cool :)

9. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

very very nice indeed, well done mate

10. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks mate :thumb:

11. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Excellent work, it came out great :thumb:

12. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

You finished before meeeee! (Not that mine will be finished anytime soon!) xD
    Looks soooooo good dude! Well done SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks man, I think I need to work on the way I present my concepts and plans, I do kinda like the sketch on the back of a cigarette pack approach and letting the build turn into something far better than the sketch, but I don't think it does my project logs any favours

Thanks Phame,
    I think out of all the Pi builds yours is the one that has peoples imaginations going, I know it's the one I'm most looking forward to seeing complete. :)

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Brilliant work Andy :thumb: The hand is a work of art in itself.

I don't think so. I think there's something far more organic about a build/log that evolves and unveils itself as it goes along and I find that far more interesting and involving. Show your intial sketches, pen out what your plans are and where you want to go, then let the madness start!

Also different people like working differently to what suits them best. Some like to have everything planned down to the minutest detail before starting, others like yourself will have a rough idea and a picture in their head and just go with the flow.

I like to have a fairly detailed plan and then scrap it halfway through because I've had the most amazing idea ever. Often with disasterous results :hehe:

15. White-Fox

White-Fox What's a Dremel?

it came out quite nice :) good luck for competion! :)

16. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Very unique man! :rock:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looks perfectly brilliant to me, truly unique standout project & the opening is perfectly good by the way, sketch, bit of an intro compare that box of scraps especially that block of wood to that awesome end result & that is some kickass modding, really is very nicely done mate, congrats, packing some awesomeness into this one. :D:clap:

Some modders look like they use a copy paste template for there intro like a CV lol so I like it when people do it less business like, more awesome like. :):rock:

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Very nice. :D -should have went with a squid theme so all the cables will look natural... Cables ruin everything.

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks White Fox :)

Thanks Squid, it does get more difficult to come up with original ideas. I stole one from you!! :jawdrop: and re-sanded the hand and used some Danish Oil, So thanks for that :thumb:

Cheers Wayne, I'm glad you reminded me of that box of scrap, I've just had a look at that pic again and it does look like there's nothing there ... So although it didn't quite cost nothing (the cost of an RPi and a tin of Danish Oil) I think I achieved what I set out to do and it cost very little.
    I'll have to think about the planning side of things, I do like seeing renders (I still believe in Santa) on build logs but I don't want to get bogged down with 3D modelling. I guess it just comes down to wether peeps are willing to put up with the initial updates and watch the project grow rather than get it all in one big "dollop" (I like that word too)

Hey thanks Crappy,
    I do like to work that way, I like the problem solving side of things and I s'pose when it's planned to the last minute detail you kinda lose that and the project would just follow a set course. As for the most amazing ideas ever and disasterous results, That sounds very much like the idea I'm mulling over at the moment, You asked for another Epic build, I might have just the thing, I just need to work out if it's possible.... I think it is but just winging it isn't an option for the build I have in mind.
    STAY TUNED :cooldude:

Cheers Cheaps, You're sooo right about the cables, I've tried to reduce as much as possible, HDMI adaptor and USB dongle thingies, but that power lead ruins it and it was always going to be a comprimise (I'm guessing you wasn't on about the fan cable?) The Pi is a good little piece of kit but by the time you plug everything in .... one word = FUGLY :lol:

20. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Very well done!
    Clean, and a big fan of the acrillic work.