1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project [THING] Raspberry Pi competition, COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 13 Feb 2013.

1. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Ive got to hand it to you :D.

Looks nice, would be tempted to set the copy lathe up at work to do something like that.

2. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Green of envy. Nice work!

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

I don't know what you mean :eyebrow: I wasn't even thinking of adding an actuator to the gpio on the RPi or asking bill how they work :hehe:
    Thanks Pranja

Ohh very good, "got to hand it to you" :wallbash: Thanks PabloFunky

Cheers tekonivel, yours is coming along nicely too, that engraving is pretty cool, even the pros would be chuffed with that result :thumb:

Just bumping the last pic to this page

[​IMG]

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oh hello there new Asouter project :D just seen this, looking good, subbed. :)

5. Asouter

Asouter --------

Hi Wayne, good to see you, I thought I'd snuck in under the radar :cooldude:

6. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

Looking good! Great ideas I think!

7. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks, the idea's keep coming so by the time it's finished it may not be quite the same as the concept. I still haven't made up my mind. No real progress today just some sanding as I've been to the London bike show

8. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 19/02/13

OK, I have been doing a bit of minor shaping and sanding. The grain in the wood has come out quite nicely, although there's some more sanding to do, it's very little sanding and compared to D33P THOUGHT t'is a doddle.
    [​IMG]

I plan to use a dark wax to finish off Thing, hopefully it will draw out the grain even more and a slight sheen should help the light reflect off the contours

[​IMG]

Notice the crack ? that was there from day one, while the hand was still in rough form, I kinda liked it and was going to leave it, now it's more refined the crack looks terrible. So this will be filled and sanded when I go down to the final grade on the sanding.

[​IMG]

That's it for this update, I still need to order up the RPi and then I can get cracking on the case

Laters....

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Just tell everyone it went to Catholic school. :D

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Crack: Now's your chance to cover it with black hair and do a gorilla hand.:D

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

Or that it got twatted with an hammer :D

You very nearly swayed me with the robot hand idea, filling the crack with hair might be a mod too far, however sticking the hair on the inside and fitting an actuator might work :lol:

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Is that some awful British slang for...?

13. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

You can fill that crack with mixture of superglue and wooden dust.

First,fill that gap with super glue and than put some wooden dust over it. You can even sand it before glue dries-that will give nice finish.

Asouter likes this.
  14. Asouter

Asouter --------

Haa haa haa..... The project could maybe called Thomas The Tank :hehe:

I had considered that, but being new to woodworking didn't fancy it being successfull. I don't know how the wax would take to the glue/sawdust mix. I don't really want to varnish it. All that sticky stuff all over the hand (ohh dear this project log just hit a new low):duh:

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 22/02/13

UPDATE 22/02/13

OK, the hand is near enough finished, I'll do the final adjustments and waxing when I have completed the case. I have been working on the final design for the box (see sketch)

[​IMG]

I was just going to sandwich the RPi in two layers of acrylic, but I had a niggling thought that it wouldn't do.... you know what it's like when your not quite happy with something in a build !!

The new design is a split front panel housing a mesh fan cover, I will be using a small chipset fan and run it off the RPi, it has an LED on the fan and so will bling up the build a lil.

[​IMG]

I will drill holes into the other half of the front panel (raspberry logo) to allow some airflow through the case and a small heat sink fitted to the CPU to allow the RPi to run at the claimed 1GHz overclock.

The mesh was ripped from an old logitech pc speaker system that will never get any use again and I'm sure I can rob more bits and material for other builds

[​IMG]

The edges will be wood and will be split though the center to allow the ports to fit snugly.

As for colour I'm thinking of using yellow for the left hand side and a mid tint on the right, I feel that it will contrast against the dark wax that I will use on Thing.

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 24/02/13

Small update, Still waiting for the RPi to be delivered, so in the mean time i have finished off the hand part of the build, I went with filler for the cracks and I'm pleased with the result. I did try a dark wax to give some more colour, but it looked horrendous, so bad that I'm not posting pics of the result. So the hand got sanded down again but on a plus point the dark wax did highlight all the low points and tool marks that I missed on the first sanding.

You can see the cracks are now filled and it looks sooo much better

[​IMG]

I have gone with a natural beeswax finish and it has lifted the grain from the wood, it does mean that I have to rethink the colour of the plexi and I'm likely to use the same smoked tint that I still have off cuts from D33P THOUGHT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the hand now finished I'm itching to get my hands on the Pi, It'd better turn up soon as the plans and Ideas change every five minutes, At the moment I have another Idea for a top panel, so I'll probably make both and put it up to a poll (maybe) :eyebrow:

17. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

That hand looks good now. ;)

BTW-in which color will you paint that hand?

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Pranja, That is the final colour. I had used a dark wax but it just looked bad (really bad) I won't be painting it. I do like the grain showing through, i'll change the colour of the plexi instead

19. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

I am looking foward to see more. ;)

20. dreps

dreps Minimodder

dude that hand is magnificent :eek: hehe I know someone who has no need for a girlfriend for some time ;D