1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : Toxicity - Completed! 13/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigr1982, 9 May 2010.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looks good. Was it all cut by hand? Looks very lasercut with the black markings....

2. craigr1982

craigr1982 What's a Dremel?

Nutman - Yes it was laser cut. :)

I just couldnt get the precision I wanted havign it cut by hand

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice! Lookin for ward to seeing it all together as well :)

4. craigr1982

Another update, I've made quite a bit of progress on the res however I'm saving it all for the video, wouldn't want to spoil you too early.

However in other news I've picked up another sponsor.. Yay!

Let me introduce
    [​IMG]
    Thank you very much for agreeing to supply what I required :)

My loop will consist of (although possibly not in this order)
    D5 Pump - GPU - CPU - 120x3 Rad - Custom Res - Pump

These will all be fed using 1/2" tubing and I figured, new build, new barbs..Most of the gear has been bought and paid for myself however Specialtech agreed to provide a few items.

To go with my black and green case I figured it was only fitting ( :p ) to match that colour scheme with some Bitspower Matte Black fittings and some 1/2" ID Compression Fittings to lose those pesky Jubilee clips.

My camera is flat so I've had to make do with just the one shot from my better half's camera until I get some better ones taken tomorrow. And as you can see I got a little bored...

[​IMG]

I have 10x 45' Angles with 10x compression fittings to match, also 3 blanking plugs for GPU and Res fillport.

I'm hoping to get the res finished this week but I seem to only get an hour or so free at a time recently, just enough time to get out into the garage and start and then start tidying up again :(
    Or I get all night, when I can't use power tools or make noise etc, still it gives me time to edit the hours of footage I already have stockpiled.

Until next time...

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So pretty, so so pretty...

6. craigr1982

Work has been getting ridiculous, 8 hour shifts with a 4 1/2 hour round trip travel time and 5 days a week, so this mod is taking a real back seat to real life..well sleeping actually. haha

I've not had chance to photograph the Bitspower fittings yet but I have finished my latest video. It's not as far along as I hoped but the res is taking a long time to cure in-between gluing, it's supposed to be over a week before it's under any pressure. In reality it could be another 2 weeks at least before it is actually ready for full leak testing and I couldn't wait that long to release this video. I'm hoping youtube wont take an age processing the video into 720p.

As I mention in the video this project is on a go slow / hold until work slows down. I am hoping to get some work done during the weekends but it will be slow going, I'll be sure to keep you updated if any work happens.

Anubus likes this.
  7. Nutman

"See you later guys 'n gals"?

You think any girls are watching modding videos? ;)

No, seriously - good work. Hope work won't bring you down.

8. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Hey, there are people who claim I'm a girl, and I watched those videos :D

9. Nutman

10. CMW

CMW PermaFlabberGasted

OMG, are you kidding? I have been browsing the modding forum for about a month with lots of drooling, but this one I love ALSO BECUZ of the videos....
    Seriously, tho, this is a lovely creation. The green thru me off, glad I could change my mind (ladies perogative)

:jawdrop: :thumb: :clap:

11. craigr1982

Nutman / Elledan - Haha, well I know of at least 3 girls who want to / are modding and into the watercooling scene etc. and some "big girls blouses :p"

CMW - I too was a little suspect of the green but it's a real grower as you found out. Glad you like the videos too. As I said before - if pictures are worth a thousand words a video must be worth...as many words as I can cram into the voiceover :p

Well I've done some work to the roof panel, but ultimately I'm not happy with it so it's been binned and I have to start again with new perspex. :(

Bit of a pain but as I'll be seeing it on the roof and the glaringly obvious problem it needs to be redone. I've shot some footage of the first attempt so I can just get on with the modding up to a point without worrying about camera angles, lighting etc.

As for the res, it's still undergoing the glueing process, still lidless at the moment and I'm fairly certain it's now watertight so far. Now to just get the lid to seal correctly and I can actually run it with the pump rather than just filling it with water and watching for leaks.

And now because I can't sleep I think I'll go photograph those fittings and see if I can't get some better photos.

12. craigr1982

So I do believe I take better photos in the dead of night...

Been doing some prep work today for the roof (take 2) and setting up some gear but here's a selection of Bitspower photos. For those sad enough to count whats there you will notice a few items missing, mainly because they are currently already in use..Pump and res so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see below I'm hoping I have enough braiding left to braid ALL the watercooling hose which will make a nice feature.
    [​IMG]

As luck would have it I have been given tomorrow off (hence the staying up late today) so I plan to be busy modding in the garage and maybe get a progress so far video shot or something but we will see how that goes..

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hurrah for days off :) Although I'm a student, so every day is a day off :p I love those fittings, it's a pitty they're so expensive :( I can't wait to see the finished res.

14. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Those fittings are -awesome-.

Even if it's slowing up I'll be keeping an eye on this :D

15. craigr1982

Cheers folks.

Started Leak Testing - Hurrah.

Hmmm I think the pump is maybe a little too strong for the Res, but it is only going directly to the res and back, no blocks or rads to slow the water any.

Laing D4
    Pump Speed: 1,400 LPH
    Delivery head: 3.4m

Therefore it pelts water as the side of the res completely missing the first slope and then causes a vacuum for the other slopes which in turn leads it to run out of water. This then slows the pump down as part of the pump has air in and makes the flow much better and the water runs the gauntlet much better...and it is totally leak free :)

As the D4 is my old pump and the D5 I use is variable rate I will need to do further testing using that pump on its various speed settings to find the correct speed.

I shall upload a video of it in action when "management" returns with my video camera later today..sigh

16. craigr1982

This mod was mentioned on The Mod Brothers Podcast #19. Available HERE. This means it's been bumped into the Featured Worklog's Section within themodbrothers forum :)

Just a quick update for now.

Managed to grab a few minutes for some footage of the reservoir and play a little catch up with what else I have been doing in the background.

And here's a better look at the images that I used in the video.

360 Radiator after a paint job.
    [​IMG]

Side Bezels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drive Bay Covers
    [​IMG]

Front Bezel
    [​IMG]

Thanks about all for now. Enjoy :)

17. Nutman

That's just beautiful!

Did the mesh come easily out of the bay covers aswell?

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Loving the front fan cover.

19. craigr1982

nutman - the mesh is just held on by little tabs which are folded over the plastic surround. unfold them and push the mesh out. the 3 1/2 adaptor mesh was a little fiddly as it's very flimsy due to lack of material.

pete - It looks awesome. Can't wait to mount it all together however I can't do that until the roof is finished which I am taking my time with after messing up the first attempt.

20. Nutman

OK, thanks for the explanation.

Just an idea: How about replacing the Cooler Master logo on the front fan cover with something else? Dunno what it could be, though...