1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Warp Core - offline indefinitely...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 5 Dec 2009.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I haven't yet - just glanced at the circuitry at the edges to see if there were any signs. Will report back if I find anything!

2. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

HI Combatus

Can I ask what is that reservoir called and where you got it.. I have been optioneering for a blow hole I cut out in the case lid dia120 (same dimentions as a 120mm fan blow hole)
    Struggling to find a res now.. Would appreciate the info.

3. Combatus

Yep its a Primochill Typhoon 120X- UV Blue, they also do it in green. I got mine direct from Primochill and the postage to the UK wasn't too bad. CLICKY

4. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Awsum :D Those sorta things always intrigue me :p

5. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Thanks ever so Combatus ...

6. Combatus

Well today (Sunday) I said to hell with the weather and spent practically the entire time in the garage spraying!!! In between trips to B&Q to get some more paint and 13A fuses for the damn 15 year old heater that kept packing up that is!

Anyway, I finally decided to do a simple paint job for the moment and against my better judgment after what happened with the last time I used Plasti-kote spray paint (colour waaaaay off) I found some graphite coloured metallic spray paint. It looked pretty good on the tin so thought I'd give it a go.

[​IMG]

Spent most of Saturday sanding down the panels and case and prepping them for today.

[​IMG]

First coat of primer. Then took it back inside and sanded it in between episodes of The Unit :rock: Did the same with the other panel several times. I then cracked open the graphite spray and went slowly. Very impressive thank goodness. Was very easy to get it on evenly and it dried pretty quickly too - a miracle in my cold garage! It ended up a little rough though so sanded them down again and added a few more layers.

Some time later and very high on paint fumes...

[​IMG]

Yeah baby! The finish was awesome. Whilst I prepped the case for some more spraying, I finished off the panels with some lacquer.

[​IMG]

Now for the main event...

[​IMG]

Stuffed it full and lined the edges with newspaper and tape and started with some primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think the lens hood got in the way on that one:duh: did this several times with plenty of sanding in between.

[​IMG]

Oooooh pretty!!! :D

[​IMG]

Even more pretties!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Difficult to see the effect from this distance but here she is all bolted together again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't have time to setup the tripod tonight so here's a high ISO snap of the PC fired up again.

[​IMG]

Really happy with the result and I'm considering doing the inside too but that will have to wait for another day! Still lots of work to do though. Watch this space :D

7. vils

vils What's a Dremel?

Very nice surface finish you achived there.
    I like the grainy texture.

8. Combatus

Thanks Vils! I really was amazed at how well it went on, considering I was doing it in far from ideal conditions.

9. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Gorgeous! Loving that sparkly effect, that's beautiful :D

10. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Nice job on the spraying .

Is it a 'textured' finish paint, or multi tone to give that effect ?

Looks great :thumb:

EDIT - Ignore my stupidity , just noticed the huge pictuire with 'METALLIC' on the spray can !

11. Combatus

Lol :D Well it was pretty rough after the first layer - so much so I had to sand that down several times too. Luckily it was very quick drying (maybe why it was so rough) - I'd imagine in the summer you could just keep building up the layers without needing to stop to let it dry - it's that fast.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

nice paint job

Keep up the good work

13. Combatus

With a marathon cable tidying even on the horizon, I've been thinking about using something other than braid to cover the cables. Something that glows more really and I found what I needed in the form of 6mm ID blue UV tubing!

So far I've applied it to the ATX connector. Was a bit worried at first as it's a very tight squeeze! I may add a bit of shrink wrap to the edges once I'm done, we'll see!

[​IMG]

Got 5M but I doubt there will be enough here for the whole 24-pin ATX connector!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fitted one strand and cut it to size having removed a pin and slid the stuff on. Then proceeded to use this bit as a template for the rest to get them all the same length.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it looks okay! :D Don't think I've seen this done with tubing before, I might be wrong though! It looks a little cluttered but once you've bent it round to the motherboard it lines up quite nicely.

14. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Nice update, Antony!
    I thought 5 meters would be plenty, seems it, but then I worked it out to be little over 20 cm per wire for a 24 pin connector lol

15. Combatus

Yep it's weird to think you need 5M just for a 20cm length of 24 pins! There's me thinking 5m would have been plenty!

16. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Well you got 8mm to play with per pin. Cut carefully now! :p

17. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Antony the mod is coming along nicely! That pump top looks the goods, its made me want to source acetal.

The Lianli case looks the goods as usual and even though im not a startrek fan (although the latest movie was quite alright), I really like the warp core!

18. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Hi Antony, your mod is coming along very nicely, with the Pump have you tryed spinning it round then turning it on, as I have the same pump and when I had a power cut when I came to turn my PC on after the power was back the pump wouldnt start. So I took it apart spinned it round and it started back up perfectly.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Good job on the hose wiring. (wire hosing?) It will look better without shrink wrap. Trust me!;)

20. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Just noticed the chunk of plastic missing from one of the power connector pin shrouds. Thought I told you to cut carefully? :nono:
    :p Just kidding xD