1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Warp Core - offline indefinitely...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 5 Dec 2009.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Azayles - bought another lot as I'd already wasted some and planned to use more :D

Djayness - THANKS!

riekmaharg2 - Thanks Keir! I tried putting the pump back together but it still didn't fire up. That was weeks ago so maybe I'll give it another go at the weekend.

Cheapskate - Thank you! Maybe cable braiding hose? Cable hosing? Not sure! Going to be drilling holes in the MB tray and routing them through there so yep I think I'll leave shrink wrapping them. Hopefully they should look good all lit up with UV LEDs! :D

2. Combatus

I've been found out! :D Yeah one of the pins came loose from the wire when pulling them out using the removal tool - its a cheap ATX extension so that's probably why - trying to get it out, some of the connector came loose but it's re-connected and my PC works fine! :worried:

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

FYI: I found the tubing looked best seated in black plastic. I'm thinking a plexi block with 6mm holes for the tube seated directly over the 24pin plug would look slick.

4. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Dam, it will also be a pain trying to test the components as their covered in a layer of resin.

5. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Hope it doesn't effect the integrity of the electrical connection and end up burning out D; Though by looks of it it's a ground pin.
    Long as it works, and once it's plugged in you'll never see it anyway!
    You excellent work commands attention to the little details, so things like that I'm gonna spot :p

6. Combatus

Very good idea - I think I will definitely try seating it in something, even just a little as the tube ends looks a bit unprofessional.

It shouldn't do, I mean the metal connectors still make contact okay - they just aren't sheathed in plastic. I don't fancy undoing all the cables to fit another so I'll leave it I think:D

Yeah some are but I did get a faint smell of electrical burning when it first stopped and I looked at it so hopefully if something has died it will be exposed enough to see. The D5 is working fine so it's not a big issue getting the DDC working again!

Last edited: 26 Mar 2010
  7. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Just as a little add,
    try not to use newspaper as a mask, it can leave residue on fingers which adhere to surfaces that are to be painted and sometimes can release silicones into the spraying environment which will marr the finish and usually this will cause "Fisheyes" in the paint.
    Try to use clean mask paper.

8. Combatus

Thanks for the tip! :thumb: Thankfully I was sanding and washing a lot at the same time so maybe this cleaned my fingers meaning the paint job turned out okay!

I got some florescent acrylic from Chilled PCs yesterday - I have big plans for the internals this weekend. Watch this space!:D

9. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Well I will 'cus I just subscribed hehe!
    Nice work so far.

10. Combatus

Sorry for the wait. All I can say is moving house takes a long time!

The idea is to create an illuminated floor for the mid section that looks like a computer panel in Star Trek:

[​IMG]

At least, maybe without all the text etc, just the lines and maybe a couple of buttons. I started with an opaque piece of blue acrylic as a test subject. First I marked out the lines - this is pretty tricky getting them all straight but the curves were very tricky indeed. Going to need some practice before I do the real thing as I need some tight curves going on and I've made a bit of a hash of it so far!

[​IMG]

Here's all the lines marked up - looks pretty good as it is doesn't it!

[​IMG]

Next I sprayed the acrylic with the same graphite paint I used on the case as I'll be painting the inside at some point too.

[​IMG]

Gently peel them all off...

[​IMG]

And voila!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think I may need a light at either end but it's looking okay so far. The light source should disappear once I've applied a few more coats so it's just the lines showing. Hopefully with a bit of yellow and purple in the mix too, it should look good.

[​IMG]

11. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow nice idea and execution mate! :)

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

sweet man:D You got mail:)

13. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

No..star trek. :p

14. Combatus

Thanks Alexis! Have to say I can't take all the credit. A lot of ideas for the method came from Neptune's Trident and p0Pe's PC-beto!

15. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

You could try and put a few layers of black insulating tape on the back of the acrylic, to help mask the leds.

Save you painting more layers, as they are quite hard to hide due to their intensity, i did on my floor.

Keep up to good work :thumb:

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

It's my first time seeing this mod and I must say I am impressed. I am not a fan of star trek but your ideas and implementation have worked out very well. Excellent work so far :thumb:.

17. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Wow very neat indeed, specially as you didn't have access to a cnc or laser cutter. What are you using for the strips, are they peices of masking tape?

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I wonder if a metallic black paint would block the light better?

19. Combatus

It's line masking tape. It's more like thin insulating tape and is much more flexible than masking tape. It's used for delicate sections on cars but does lend itself to modding too! Big_Adam introduced me to it a while back and I've been using ever since!

I may try that, but it's only one coat so I'm hoping a few more will do the trick!

20. Combatus

This is probably the biggest update so far, thanks to a nice long bank holiday weekend! I decided to press ahead using the acrylic/mask/spray paint technique. I started playing with designs and realised it wouldn't be too tricky to have different colours in the design.

You can see below the general idea - 4 sections of acrylic in blue and yellow, each with its own design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made a scale drawing of the design and taped this to the acrylic ready for Dremeling!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The design had to work around the fact there are four tubes that need to pass through the mid section. To make things easier, I managed to get the design going through one piece of acrylic so measured everything up and started making holes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the four pieces together for the first time. :D

[​IMG]

Now to start masking off the design...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I realised early on that having four pieces of acrylic was going to mean nasty join marks after I'd painted it. I hit on the idea of having a final layer of clear stuff (hadn't decided what to use at that point!) to give the final layer a smooth finish.

In the end I used a large piece of acetate cut to size and stuck down on the four pieces of acrylic. I hoped and prayed that the paint would take to it!

[​IMG]

Which thankfully it did!

With the finished article looking like this!

[​IMG]

:rock::rock::rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few bits of over-spray but this can be sorted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm loving the look though, really pleased with it.

[​IMG]

Holes cut for tubing - a bit rough but I plan to have some chrome connectors here anyway.

[​IMG]

That's all for now! :D