1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumours point to an end for user-replaceable CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Nov 2012.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

My current CPU went through THREE boards (P67A-UD4, Maximus IV GENE-Z, P8Z77-I Deluxe) during less than 2 years :p :lol:.

Anyway, my opinion is that this is simply just a partial roadmap, and we are making conclusions based on that.

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

This... I can't remember either... I usually trade everything for something new, I can see advantages in the low price segments, like pc's for offices.
    It could make those pc's ever cheaper.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

OK, just to pull your neck in a little... I never mentioned 'profits', I said market. So all those figures and arguments are completely irrelevant.

4. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Actually, if you are talking about market share, of course profit is relevant. Profit is the only thing that leads companies like Intel to make decisions like these - they couldn't care less about alientating any part of their market if it means more money in the long term... that is what business (for a publicly-traded company) is.

We'll have to see if this is true or not, but I could believe it - as many have pointed out, the fact that Intel obsolete every socket with a new generation has kind of made this the norm anyway - now they are just cutting out the middleman (and of course, if they are making the mobos too then that is another nice little revenue stream isn't it....)

Proabably this would drive me over to AMD (probably...)

5. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Im calling BS on that graphic, no way are dell making 19 billion net income a year, or asus... In fact, other than apple and IBM, I think its pretty much total carp. Amazon 34.4 B net income! They will have made 1 - 2 if they were lucky!

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Those numbers are the total for all of those companies combined, not each.

7. faugusztin

Yeah, that graphic is a total BS.

2011 :

MSFT - $57.13 billion
    Apple - $45.63 billion

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Those figures are gross profit; the infographic is comparing net income. Microsoft's net income for 2011 was $23.15 billion, and Apple's for the same period was over $41 billion. In other words: exactly as the infographic shows.

9. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I doubt it. It would create WAY too many SKUs for most motherboard manufacturers. Now I might see Intel going BGA + motherboard for their own SKUs instead of offering processor and motherboard seperately. That might make a certain amount of sense.

However, if they offer, say, 15 different processors and a motherboard manufacturer offers, say, 10 different motherboards, it is going to make it awfully expensive for the motherboard manufacturers. First of all, if they actually wanted to offer every combination, they'd have to offer 250 different SKUs. Or they'd have to limit it and, say, have their low end boards with only a couple of low end processor options, mid grade with only a few mid grade processors and high end with high end processors.

However, there are plenty of people who want to buy a high end processor, but a low end board, or vice versa. I ended up with a fairly nice uATX motherboard, but an entry level celeron processor in my server just because I don't need much compute power, I need max power savings, but I needed a fairly full featured board to support a number of PCI-e slots for RAID cards and network cards.

Now I can see Intel offering most of the lineup of processors as BGA in addition to LGA. For OEMs it isn't much skin off their teeth to make their offerings non-upgradable. In fact it might buy them planned obselesence upgrades. User built systems, either enthusiast, non-enthusiast or SOHO/large business/server markets I don't see this flying.

10. faugusztin

Well then the infographic has a retarded title. Title talks about profit, subtitle talks about the net income. They should make up their mind :).

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

When you think that Apple was near bankruptcy before Uncle Steeve came and saved them :D

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Net income is net profit. It's just another way of saying the same thing.

13. fellix_bg

fellix_bg What's a Dremel?

No one is complaining when the graphics board have to be upgraded where everything is soldered on the PCB -- GPU, memory, VRM, etc. With the steady advancements on the system integration front, the out-phasing of modularity is bound to happen. By the end of the decade, consumer systems probably won't need a discrete GPU board, as much as the dedicated sound is now nothing more than a relic within a tiny niche market. System memory could follow the trend also -- the DDR4 spec's already limit the amount of DIMM modules per channel to just one, upping the chip density sky high. The current smart-phone, tablet and ultra-portable market is just an indication of where the things are going, but at much smaller scale. Once the TSV die-stacking tech is perfected there will a boom of new SoC applications all over the products range reaching new performance and power levels, unthinkable now.

14. faugusztin

You mean Uncle Bill, right ? Right ?

Anyway, as i said before i highly doubt this information and i think it is just a partial roadmap, if valid at all.

15. GuilleAcoustic

Steeve Jobs :) ... it's him who saved Apple. Just look at Apple product now that he's gone (rest in peace) ... no real evolution / creativity. I'm really not a fan of Apple, but Jobs sure did bring a lot to the computing / smartphone industry.

16. faugusztin

Well, Steve wouldn't do much with Apple without those 150 million dollars from Bill :).

17. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Perhaps, Intel have made a socket that will take BGA CPUs. That would actually be brilliant, use mobile CPUs for HTPCs etc or high powered desktop version when you need the performance all on the same board.

18. Queelis

Queelis What's a Dremel?

No one seems to point out that it would mean that a specific CPU would come with specific motherboard features, e.g. you can't make all the combinations of mobos and CPUs, the amount will shrink considerably.

19. GuilleAcoustic

I'm not sure that it is a bad point ... the offer is really to vast and confusing for the consumer. A friend of mine had to change it's aging athlon x2 ... and was completly lost as he didn't pay attention to hardware for years.

He asked me to build him a computer because he was completly confused by the amount of possibilities .... and he's a software developper. Many dev around me are in the same situation. They are aware of new langages ... but regarding hardware evolution specificities of this, this or this chipset .... :wallbash:.

This one has RAID, but only 1 sata 6, this one has virtu, this one allow OC, this one .... :duh:

It would be bette with :

- A : common use
    - B : Enthousiast

and nothing more. Right now Intel offers, for LGA1155 only :

- B75
    - P67, P75
    - H61, H67, H77
    - Q77
    - Z68, Z75, Z77, Z78

it's far too many chipsets ... if you add the specific features that mobos maker will add ... it's a nightmare for non-informed user (and even informed ones can get lost).

I didn't know that, thanks for the information :D

20. Spaniard

Spaniard What's a Dremel?

This may or not having anything to do with this, but when my PS3 died, I then found out that the Cell chip was BGA soldered onto the board and went around fixing it with the heating method to reflow the solder. I assume this happened due to heat that the early PS3's put out. Does this mean that due to heat that failures will be more common for the CPU?

Either way I dont like it if its true, I also hate how intel commonly changes sockets for new gen cpu's.