1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumours point to an end for user-replaceable CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Nov 2012.

1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I thought the new 1150 socket was still under wraps, and only spoken about at partner briefings, oh well, lol

2. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

If it is then its still wrong, IBM will make circa 16 billion + on its own this year... Intel will do similar, so its wayyyyy off the mark

Its a pointless reference point as the errors are just so glaring.

You show me where Dell made 19 billion net income in the last 4 quarters - you can pick any consecutive 4 and Ill fall off my chair, in fact, anything over 15 would be astounding!

I think you will find they are lucky if they come in close to 3 ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Nov 2012
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As has been pointed out to you, the chart shows combined net income. You can read the details here, including the period to which the chart applies - note that it *isn't* a financial year, but October 2011 to September 2012.

Feel free to bring the chart's calculations into question, but please do so by actually doing the calculation yourself rather than by guesswork. I'm by no means saying the chart is totally accurate, as I haven't done so myself - I'd be interested in your results.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

People are blind

Dells figures are combined with every other pc manufacture

Only apples figures are alone in that entire article that you linked.

Dell has not made 19bil in the last 4 quarters, intel and IBM are contributing 80% of that total

Even in the mobile one Samsung is 80% of the total. Similar to movies with Walt Disney been the large contributer.

In the Microsoft one Microsoft and google are the 2 main contributors.

This is so off topic it's funny though, will this happen most likely will anyone complain about it unlikely, the enthusiast market is less than 1% of the total pc hardware sales.( sorry to burst anyone's bubble)

Windows 8 downloads were only 4 million there is a rumoured total of 700million compatible pcs out there. 4 of 700 is alot less than 1%.

5. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Lies. Dam lies and statistics lol.

While agree that apple will be top. It has more to do with how these companies report. Apple never includes capital investment in its revinue figures as it classes it as internal spending. Where as Microsoft does. (Even says so on your linked site (if you hunt your way through it))

Also if you where an investor you would have to correct out the fact that these figure where collected just before MS released a new OS (which has been known to be coming over this period). And including a whole new range of IOS products that have been releases as well.

So I agree Apple will be top. But not so big as shown there.

Statistics is the art of trying to tell you something in a clear way. But most of the time it is either misread/used or the data used is not standard across all the inputs.

Hense the Internet is full of wrong or misleading graphics.....

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

So, anyway. CPUs?...

7. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I've never swapped out a CPU. Usually just build a new machine with a new MOBO and CPU and hand down the old machine to a family member. However, for those that overclock heavily, I can see the desire to have the option of swapping out the CPU in case it gets cooked. It would also be a pain if the CPU goes bad for any reason. Depending on the case the MOBO is in, you might have to nearly gut everything out just to get the MOBO out. Unless there is a significant performance reason for hard soldering the chip to the board, this sounds like a big step backwards.

It would be like going to the auto shop and finding out your car's transmission is bad. Sorry pal, we gotta replace the engine too since they are attached. :eyebrow:

8. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

Same for me for sure.

What happens if your motherboard dies within a couple of months then? Do you have to replace both that AND cpu? That would cost a fortune.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

OEM`s are begging for this - keeping costs down , and with a fix or return from intel they have a win-win.

OEM`s will lap this up

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

1) there is a warranty for that.
    2) there won't be motherboard AND CPU. Only motherboard. CPU will be part of it. It is like Raspberry Pi. You are not talking about the Broadcom SoC on it, but about the whole thing.

11. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I can see this moving up from the atom into the celeron range and possibly low end pentium dual core parts to create sff/embedded parts. Intel's entire mobile range has shipped with both BGA and socket parts as far back as i remember.

Ultimately, I think intel would be tied up in partner and classaction lawsuits for years if they went BGA only.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

The Intel NUC with BGA i3 is the first step in this direction. i5 and i7 version are plannned

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no law suit at all - intel offers the entire parts cheaper than current products as do board IHV`s = means OEM`s get to sell the kit for MORE profit = pure win for them

14. faugusztin

Uh, why ?

Intel will provide a BGA SoC, which will have everything current CPU and chipsets have. And instead of ASUS P8Z97 you will have ASUS P8Z97/i5-5570, ASUS P8Z97/i5-5770 etc. More sales for motherboard makers.

Or did you see a class action lawsuit about not being able to swap the chipset on the board ? Or the sound card ? Ethernet controller ?

15. rollo

rollo Modder

People assume intel cares for enthusaist market when they have said time after time they dont. Intel knows where there profits are ( Servers for reference 60% of all there profit is from server hardware now, and its still rising.) and most servers are all in one boxed solutions that intel supplys to the companies that then sell the hardware.

If you replace the cpus in a server enviroment you replace everything with it.

As for this mystical thing of we will all go to AMD ( Assuming they even still exist ), We just wont sorry, Id never install a chip that is half the performance of a chip i could buy elsewhere just so i get a choice of a motherboard.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Intel Xeon E3 and *some* E5 (recently released , allready have embedded options for server market

17. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

But Apple are notorious for spending far less on this sort of thing than the likes of MS... although maybe all those server farms and solar plants will have denting things this year!

Everyone knows that Apple make huge profits compared to anyone else. Not just compared to their competition (EG MS) but to whole groups of their competitors added together.

Microsoft stock went up 9.2% in the decade up to May 2012.
    Apple went up over 4500% in the same period and they were already on the rise in 2002.

Think of it this way. If you'd have invested £10,000 in 1997, you'd be sitting on somewhere around £1,700,000 now.

Ouch!

18. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I wouldn't be too fussed about this becoming the norm.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

19. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

I think some people are missing the implications this will have on 'bang per buck' users. We currently have the option of buying a midrange MB and affordable CPU to overclock. Then, when the socket type is a couple of generations old and previously top range CPUs become available on ebay for £30, we can do a cheap upgrade, overclock it and get a 'pretty decent' system that should last a couple more years.

Not everybody in the 'enthusiast' market has, or is willing to spend, large sums of money to spend on kit.

I think this makes perfect sense for Intel, because they can abuse their monopoly and squeeze consumers for every last penny. However, it is an awful development for those people willing to get their hands dirty overclocking budget systems in search of premium performance.

20. faugusztin

That market is long gone grimerking. i5-3570K and likes are anything but "affordable CPU", they are higher mainstream. "Midrange" and lowend (Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, non-K Core i5) doesn't have overclock abilities since Sandy Bridge.