"Sangaku" New York Times

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 7 May 2005.

1. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

That is some really nice woodwork. Looking really good.

2. IYIENACE

IYIENACE What's a Dremel?

Subscribed. Looks very good, will the final version have the cutouts like the miniature? If you did replace the cut out areas with acrylic it would look really abstract.

Oh, very jealous of the beautiful Japanese hand tools. :D

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

the non-cutout areas are already the grey transparent acrylic, so if i did put more acrylic for the cut out areas it would probly have to be a different color? thickness? i dunno. interesting idea though

4. poissonpilot

poissonpilot What's a Dremel?

very nice job
    looking forward ...

5. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

damn, your woodwork skills are seriously amazing :D

love the tools youve got aswell

mod' on!

6. Jhonbus

Jhonbus What's a Dremel?

Absolutely top job on the wood work, Greensabbath. I'll be very interested to see what this turns out like. I'm planning on a wood and acrylic case myself and mahogany is what I'm thinking too. But I'll be using panels really so I might inlay it with something darker.
    I wish I had access to those sorts of tools! The Japanese saws are really nice; you can get such a good cut when you're cutting on the backward stroke.

7. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

Sangaku - "temple geometry" (It sure looks a bit like a temple to me) The Japanese mathematical tablet, based on geometry... Sure sounds like a fitting name.

Totally astonishing work you've done here. Very beautiful.

8. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

thanks a lot, great name too, i think that works perfectly

9. Riot

Riot What's a Dremel?

Can't wait to see this one. I've actually always wanted to build a rounded-off edge wooden case with a nice logo carved on the side... :(

10. phantomxc

phantomxc What's a Dremel?

this is going to be super sexy :thumb: i can tell already.

11. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

nice woodwork... I once had to replicate a chinese/japanese house without tech drawings, a bad detailed picture and no glue...

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

wonderful design - love the fact that you can take it apart.

13. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

WOW! I'm seriously impressed! I've got a small woodshop of sorts in my storage room/garage and I'm hoping to get the skills to make furniture for myself and family. I know how hard it is to get that kind of joinery accurate. You've got some real talent with wood.

One thought though: the case temps inside can easily reach 130-150F at full load. Have you thought about how this will affect the wood? What about expansion/contraction of the wood around the plexi? I'd hate to see the wood 'breathe' and crack the side panels.

Those fan grilles are really cool. It must be nice to have access to all those tools. I'm trying to build a small collection of essentials as funds allow.

Are all those joints hand tooled? I'm more of a power-tool user, but i'd love to learn hand joinery for those late nigts in the garage. (neighbors don't like noise :p)

Subscribed!

14. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Really nice. I love the japanese concept.

15. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

i have been thinking about the effects of heat on the wood and i think it should be fine. if the side panels were solid wood, i'd say we'd have a huge problem, but since they are going to be shoji doors, there should be enough heat loss through the paper (combined with all the fans) that the wood shouldn't expand too much. Also, not too much of the wood frame is actually exposed on the inside, most of it is on the outside, and since there are absolutly no metal fasteners of any kind touching the wood, only grooves and holes, things should be able to slide if they do get kinda hot, which i am expecting...and hoping.

the joints are a combination of hand and machine done. depending on what i think works better, the tennons and dados are machine done, but the mortises are hand done along with the entire fan grills

oh, update coming later (once i get back from the shop)

16. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

At what kinda heat does this wood expand? Or is that somethings thats hard to tell?

17. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

it is probably measurable, i just haven't measured it yet. but if it does expand, it won't expand as much with the grain, and since the amount of expansion is proportional to the initial width of the wood, it should only expand a tiny bit, and hopefully it will be negligible, but it would be interesting to actually measure it sometime

18. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

omg, wow, it's finaly happened. a project log has given me a boner. :naughty:

19. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Then this case must be really good and sexy, which it definately is.

20. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Very Very sexy. Looking forward to seeing how you do the doors.

Great woodworking skills.