"Sangaku" New York Times

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 7 May 2005.

1. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

WOW!! I really dont like wood cases but yours is giving me second thoughts. You are trully a master at your craft. I love the design of the case. This is my new favorite log. Great job on it so far.

2. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

thanks man, the cost wasn't too bad, for the mahogany, that cost around $50 or so, the ebony was probably around $4 and all the spruce was around $30-40, these were all pretty highly priced woods though, at $9 per board foot, $13 per lb and $6.50 per board foot, respectively.

3. kayone

kayone Minimodder

wow.. looks immense! keep posting the pics!

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Whew! Not cheap by any means...but it looks like you're doing a great job at not wasting any. :) Makes things a LOT cheaper!

5. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Is that south near san diego area?

Good job though, man when I was in school for cabinetry and fine woodworking I never though if making a case... I shouldve...

6. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Its about 3.5 hours south of San Francisco, not too sure where that puts it in relation to san diego though

7. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

another day in the shop, and another good update. today i concentrated mostly on the wood aspects, including the shoji doors and the top panel.

Here are the tennons cut into the stiles, i get to hand fit each of these into the rails, which takes forever, but the fit is quite nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one down...3 to go
    [​IMG]

here are two with the bottom panel in, the kumiko (the smaller members that i haven't put in yet) still need to be installed, this will take forever though since there are 21 joints per door, for a grand total of 84....probly all done by hand once i get my tiny chisel

[​IMG]
    here is the back end of the top panel being constructed:
    [​IMG]
    the top almost done:
    [​IMG]
    i'm having some fitting problems, but i had to mock this thing up to get a feel for what its going to look like, so here is what the case looks like thus far, note that everything isn't permanently attached, its just kinda hanging there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the black is just foam core, it will be replaced with acrylic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    well that's all for now, more later probably

Last edited: 18 May 2005
  8. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

this is looking very nice. I like your top panel a lot, although I was curious about the front doors (you ditched that idea, right?).

are you going to use colored acrylic for the top?

9. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

can i buy this off you? :D hehehe

10. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

yeah, i ditched the doors...most likely. we'll see if something seems off in the end. for the top, where the black is will be the black acrylic, and for the big spaces, there will most likely be rice papar (same as most of the sides) so there will be a nice glow on the top too if i don't screw up on the lighting

11. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

Just a thought - instead of black acrylic, how about black-laquered (sp?) wood? It would go along with the whole Japanese theme, I'd think.

My own carpentry tends to be of the TLAR school, so I'm in awe already!

(TLAR = That Looks About Right) :)

12. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

i was thinking about that too, but the black acrylic on top will join (visually) with the front and back, making it look more complete, i think at least

13. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

I dont want to sound a idiot, but wouldnt rice paper russle like a bugger with all the fans behind them?? Sweet case by the way

14. Protius-X

Protius-X What's a Dremel?

Nice! I love working with wood, furnishing is my favourite class at school. Wish our workshop had all those tools and all the tools were in good nic... Your case mixes my two favourite things together, working with wood and case modding/computers! I love it! keep it up.

15. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

TLAR school is what framers and house builders, contractors do this is fine woodworking, furniture, cabinetry etc etc... It's wonderbar!

16. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP

the case is coming along quite nicely, the wood is actually almost done, the doors are in, the top fits (pics later) but i have come accross a huge problem, the lighting. in order for this case to not be a waste of time :sigh: , it has to be lit properly, which seems like it might be a challenge :wallbash: . i've decided one set of doors will be clear so u can see inside, but the other set and the top need to have a nice consistent whiteglow to them. i was wondering if anyone had suggestions or ideas on how to light a panel evenly. i was thinking would taking some plexi and sanding it and then putting leds in it might work, but i dunno, any help would be much appreciated, thanks :D

17. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Huh, you are American(i THink you have a MR state so i guess that is maryland unless its another country) and i cant understand any of your english. My guess is your saying TLAR school is cool and that framers, house builders, and contractors use it to do fine woodworking, furniture, cabinetry, etc.. Its great.

Ok now ontopic. Awsome case im trying to build a wood case but since im horrible at woodworking its not turning out so well. Yours is looking awsome. Keep up the good work.

18. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

EL Sheet. In this case, I think it would work perfectly. Not blinding bright, but will give a nice even glow. :D

Also, you could use black construction paper to do cool shadow shapes (can't remember the name of the Japanese shadow theater)... :idea:

19. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Sanding it and putting a couple of LED's around the edges will light it fine. Sorta like how this guy lit his plex. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=88487

Except with sanding or frosting it should "Catch" the light all the way across.

20. radek

radek What's a Dremel?

In one of the forums modder decided to spray acrilic panel on the inside with a coat of clear metallic paint and than he followed with coat of white... to get metallic white/ semi transparent effect. I am not sure about the metallic effect in your case - but transparent white might work.
    White is definitey good to diffuse the light, and would match your Oriental theme... Wait, what about diffusing glass (or plastic) for light fixtures?