1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland vote to break away from Uk rule.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 21 Aug 2014.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yougov poll has it 54/46 in favour of the no camp. CNN are reporting poll of polls as 52% yes and 58% no - you do the maths...

2. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Betfair odds have moved from 1.2 to 1.07/8 (for no) in the past few hours with no results declared yet. Why?

3. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

That's been part of the debate for ages. The problem is their isn't a huge amount left and Scotland hasn't got Norway's oil fund built up from the last few decades. That fund currently owns ~1% of the worlds stock market. Rosy but not so amazing. I highly doubt the referendum would have occurred without the North Sea.

4. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Well Shetland/Orkney and the Western Isle have all voted no, which was to be expected, it will be interesting to see if Scotland votes yes if those 3 will push for their own seperation.

If the yes vote does win how long until the SNP and its supporters start fighting as they wont all get what they want.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Looks like a no. Salmond seems conspicuous by his absence though Nicola Sturgeon is still putting on a brave face. Let the recriminations and accusations begin.

6. Jinn

Jinn What's a Dremel?

I woke up and I am still in UK.
    I am very happy!

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

SCOTLAND HAS VOTED

NO

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm glad Scotland is staying (currently 55%/45%) and want to thank it for what, I hope, will be big changes throughout the whole Union now.

Cameron saying the English issue has to be addressed now, Eng/Wal & NI to have their say now Sco has with regards to voting powers etc.

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

NOT SO BRAVEHEART to be released next year last line of the movie he is going to shout baled

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Hague being asked over the west Lothian question - says labour holding it up

edit:

[​IMG]

wasn't even close

Last edited: 19 Sep 2014
  11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Tbf, it's not like a General Election where it's done on constituencies, so that map doesn't really give you the full picture. :) That said, it was a wider decision than many were predicting - personally, I expected 53:47 for No, so for it to be a couple of points further out was a little disappointing.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I do agree - 10% difference is quite decisive , and with the highlands coming out as a NO , that surprised me.

would like to see demographics of age / location on how they voted.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not sure why that should surprise you as the Highlands really do not want to be governed by Edinburgh and never have so I assume it was better the devil you know than the devil you don't when it came to deciding which way vote.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, what Kronos said, really. One of the least surprising results.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Exactly. The Highlanders feel no closer to Edinburgh than the Yes voters do to Westminster.

Overall though, I'm thrilled it was a no vote. Salmond and Sturgeon - I don't know, there was always something fishy about those two...

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh Spreadie, there's a time and a plaice for those kind of puns, as this isn't it!

17. Risky

Risky Modder

Listening to Radio 4 this morning, Douglas Alexander was on as the Labour representative. When asked abotu the West Lothian question (Scottish MPs voting through legislation on England where the matter is devolved to Scotland) he completely dodged the issue.

Clearly Labour are goign to stick to their guns as those MPs will probablky give them the next election. I'm not sure the general population will fall for it.

Much change ahead.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm quiet proud of Scotland at the moment :)
    I hope that doesn't come across as patronising or anything, it's just that i hope with such a high turnout and with it being such a close decision that the promises of real changes in the way Westminster governs the UK are acted upon.

Scotland have (imho) given Westminster a last chance, the kick up the arse that was so desperately needed.

19. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Dammit.

So much for having a foreign holiday next year then. :(

Humour aside, I watched until I the panel interview where a guy being interviewed says "I have a mortgage to pay, I'm just a simple guy, so I voted No. But I'd like independence" In my limited experience, these are the guys that quietly whinge the most about how bad things are, about how terrible the English have been to the poor scots & how much they hate them. Scotland did not decisively vote No. 55.3% to 44.7% is not an admirable margin. This was not a sporting event.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Sep 2014
  20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My cod man, have you no sole?
    As long Westminster don't go "phew, close one. Right, back to business as usual for another twenty years!".

84.5% turnout is incredible. Oh for a turnout of similar proportions at the next UK General Election.