1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland vote to break away from Uk rule.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 21 Aug 2014.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I don't think the Tories would have preferred a Yes vote. Punishing Labour is one thing but shrinking the Union to do so? I don't think so - ol' Dave went up to Scotland last week with the rest of them too, didn't he?

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The Tories didn't want a yes vote - they'd go down in history (and Cameron in particular) as being the party that split up the Union. That's a pretty big thing to try and shake off. However, I'm sure Tories would have loved to have gotten away with as few promises re: devolution as possible.

In regards to powers, I think Scotland will ultimately get them, but it's going to be a bit of a long process with lots of arguing. It's also opening a massive can of worms (like the West Lothian Question) that weren't part of the debate, but are going to have a huge impact.

Personally, I can see the appeal of having what amounts to a federation of countries that vote internally on matters that concern them alone. Only when an issue impacts more than one does it go to what we currently know as parliament for discussion and vote by all.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

as I said - the long game - shrink the union to keep labour out for 100 years? that`ll do it.

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

No way. Shrinking the Union would shrink its power. There's no way they'd deliberately do that for anything.

Listen to Cameron's speech to the Scots on the 15th. Does he sound like a man who wants to let them go?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...nal-speech-scottish-people-independence-video

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Why bother? Labour just shot themselves by promising to cut child tax credits if they get some power in the GE.

(and no, the £8 an hour min wage promise doesn't make up for it, the Greens promise £10).

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

There's no danger that the Tories wanted Scotland to go. Sure, it might hamper Labour's election chances, but the Tories are the Conservative and Unionist Party, and presiding over the breakup of the Union would have been catastrophic for Cameron (it would probably have sparked a leadership challenge) and humiliating for the party as a whole.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup, not hearing too much excitement coming from Labour ranks at the moment.

Mind you, losing the Scottish votes at Westminster has proven to have made very little difference to previous election results, in the main. We're not all Tories in England.

That said they have to pull their finger out and show something that can inspire people, unfortunately for Ed he has absolutely no presence nor charisma so even if they found a way of offering the world on a plate he'd have trouble convincing many.

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Gee thanks.....:waah:

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think he's referring to Wallace/Millipede... Landys have tons of personality [imo]...

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IIRC they didn't say the would cut child tax credits, didn't they say they would freeze the rise at 1% for two years?

Not that freezing it for two years would make much difference, i think they only announced that to try and sound more competent when it comes to the purse strings.

It's a bit like the Conservatives saying they are investing in the NHS, but in real terms it has faced major cuts in spending.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2014
  11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Freezing rise below inflation is effectively the same as a cut.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe someone should tell Mr Cameron that next time he says they have increased spending on the NHS. :D

13. adidan

I was referring to EdMillyBilly not EdSillyBilly. :D

14. Risky

Risky Modder

What I'd like to know is why Gordon Brown is telling the Scotts about what he's[i/] ageed with the leaders of the Westminster parties.

What the heck is his constitutional role in all this?

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

He's playing the good cop, otherwise the only voice standing up for the Scots in this fiasco would be Salmond's and that wouldn't be good for Westminster.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And Ed Millicreep keeps embarrassing himself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29335450

17. adidan

I think he really should go back to taking notes on stage.

Mind you I think Cameron outplayed him on the stupidity level this week. I hope he never gets kidnapped and interrogated, he'd give up all the secrets he has before they even get a blindfold on him.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You can just imagine the looks when he next has an audience with the queen, one is not amused. :D

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Cut your terrorism budget in half right now with this super secret thing, 100% effective at eliminating the need for expensive blindlfolds, time consuming torture and guaranteed to be free of any repercussions, just enter your card number and expiry date in the field below and receive your very own Cameron in 3 easy instalments.

Sorry.

Landy_Ed likes this.
  20. adidan

Yup, I'm sure that will be a great family reunion.