1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland vote to break away from Uk rule.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 21 Aug 2014.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Watch the film doomsday, it's trashy and rubbish, but I think they accidentally predicted the future!

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I for one am looking forward to the re-purposing and renovation of Hadrian's Wall.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

I look forward to the removal of those 59 scottish seats from commons.

4. asura

asura jack of all trades

Warning; racist joke incoming!

An Englishman, Irishman, and Scotsman are lost in the desert, it's been days and they're near the point of severe dehydration. The Irishman trips over a bronze lamp with inevitable results... out pops a mighty genie and offers them three wishes. After much nagging and haggling of the genie the three men still only have three wishes between them, not three wishes each - and as some kind of miracle they decide to divide the wishes equally.

The Irishman : "Oh mighty genie! My one wish is to return to the green fields of Pitsligo." and with a flash of green smoke he disappears from the desert his simple wish granted. Without the proper medical care he promptly slips into a coma and dies only to be ploughed over weeks later by a farmer preparing his field for a potato crop.

The Englishman has been frantically scribbling in a note book and now steps up to the genie to make his wish : "Oh mighty genie! My one wish is for all Englishmen to be returned home to an England sporting a mile high wall to keep all outsiders out!" the genie mulls this over for a while, it's technically two wishes, but the Dallas marathon he's been waiting years for is about to start and his sky box only has 1% capacity left! "Very well!" booms the genie and the Englishman disappears in a puff of red smoke.

The Scotsman crawls up to the genie and takes a pull of whisky from his concealed hip-flask and asks "This wall of the Englishmans, oh mighty genie, tell me more about it?" "It's a mile high!" snaps the genie "What more is there to know?", hearing the first chords of the unmistakeably horrible theme music squeaking from his lamp. "Does it have any openings, any ways in or out?" rasps the Scotsman. "No, no, no." retorts the genie "I'm very literately minded, your Irish friend is as good as doomed, your English friend should be fine if he can crawl into his hallway to call an ambulance, and the wall is PERFECT!"

The Scotsman takes one final pull of whisky. Closes his eyes. And slowly, painfully, for every breath draws in more hot dry air, mutters his wish. "Fill it with water." his wish made he too sinks into a coma and dies within the hour, a sated smile on his face.

Landy_Ed likes this.
  5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I look forward to the dollar rate crashing down from 1.7 to around 1.5, I look forward to seeing the shared debt of Scotland remaining in the UK, I look forward to the £300 million a year Margret thatcher rebate to still go out.. Oh wait.. no I don't.

What I actually want from this is the follow.

- Scotland leave as do the seats in the commons.
    - Scotland don't get the pound.
    - Scotland have to use the Euro.
    - UK leave the Euro and Scotland to require permission to enter the UK for trading to to not see any benefit with trading with the UK as a result.
    - The oil in the north sea to run out leaving Scotland with Whiskey and spring water as the only source of income.
    - The £2.5billion a year to the Navel base removed along with ALL subs and ships to be relocated off the coast off North Humberland and just north of Leyland.
    - No more £300 million Thatcher rebate.

And..

- ultimately the dollar rate to climb for the UK but drop for Scotland as per the above so that Scotland becomes Greece and I can become smug.

Reality is itll probably not affect us that much but who actually cares other than the Scots who believe this to be the biggest even ever? And those who want the Yes vote really haven't thought it though lets be honest. its the same as those who voted UKIP and knew nothing on the costs to us as tax payers in the UK ultimately.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What a strange, bitter post. Unless of course it was "humour" in which case it was just unfunny.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Indeed. And with bigotry like that, one wonders why so many Scots want to leave. :rolleyes:

Even The Investors Chronicle claims Westminster have been scaremongering and down-playing the magnitude of economically viable North Sea oil reserves for years, in an effort force a "no" vote. I absolutely detest Alec Salmond - IMO he's a petty nationalist gobsh!te, but does anyone think for one moment that the information and opinion coming out of Westminster is any less biased?

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just like in war the first casualty of politics is the truth.

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Well perhaps not worded quite to most liking however those points are the points everyone is picking up on and its fuelled by the fantastic daily fail. I believe Rhetorical is the word and ironically rhetorical in them selves.

The latter sentence is my own point. That being who actually cares about Scotland leaving other than Scots? Most british don't actually care except for the points I have mentioned that they have absolutely no control over and wouldn't know anything about if it wasn't thrust on them by the media and those who do care are likely living close to the border where issues may crop up at some point later in the future. That said the same can be said for Scotts living just noth of the border too.
    A vast number of those that are voting yes are lapping up every word in favour of independence coming from the mouth of a bit of a liar. I understand fully that the government in the UK is pretty much useless but this all boils down to one thing. Chaos.

No matter how good the government, the mess the UK is in cannot be gotten out of. Eventually it will fail and sadly this cant be helped. Debt is mounting and isn't being paid off, the interest on this debt to cover would require a collective TAX of probably around 40% to everyone and not just the high earners in order to try and get on top of it.

Scots want a crack at running the show them selves - good for them is all I can say and if they get the opportunity I wish them the best of luck however it doesn't matter who runs the show and where they run it from. The same problems are going to be met by the same failed resolutions and instead of a united issue across England, Scotland, Wales and NI your instead going to have the same problems twice with two sets of parties managing the issues and failing them in succession. Its a waste of collective resources. Two heads are better than one goes the saying which could mean this may work but you already have two heads (well multiples of) and all that's going to happen is you are removing a bunch of them which statistically leaves you in a worse position than you were before.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

They can vote in local and EU elections but not General Elections.
    From the electoral commission

I would consider the Scottish referendum larger than a local issue.

Do you think Kate having a 2nd on the way has been announced in another desperate wail from the 'no' camp (although I think the results will probably end like the Germany v Scotland match last night, valiant effort but ultimate defeat - really have given up caring who wins TBH).

11. David

Well, given the fact the financial markets care, I'd imagine anyone with a vested interest in the import/export business also cares. Exporters are getting less money for their products, and importers are getting less product for their money.

Also, bearing in mind a yes vote means the end of the UK, I'd have thought most would at least take notice; however, the apathy of the British public is a hardy perennial.

12. adidan

I think there's be a bit more interest if the rest of the UK had a say in whether the UK splits up or not mate TBH. The English, Welsh & NIrish are just spectators in what happens to our nation.

At least if the rest of the UK can't vote I would have damned well thought Scots who would officially become Scottish rather than, if they chose, British would have been higher up the pecking order of 'those that really should be able to vote about this thank you very much' than EU citizens who may only be there for a few years.

I'm still trying to understand the logic, I can understand why it's just a Scottish vote but what I can't understand is why people not from the UK can help decide whether the UK stays together or not.

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I imagine most Scots would say that pretty much sums up where they are right now - they have two governments (if you don't also count the EU influence on affairs), only one of which Scotland actually voted for. Which statistics prove that House of Commons + House of Lords with a further government for Scotland under that is a better position than just a single house of government? (even if it DOES exist in Edinburgh)

Or play a wee mind game. What do you think the UK (without Scotland) would have to offer Ireland in a newer larger United Kingdom?

14. adidan

Interesting one mate, I had had the opposite thought and wondered what if an Independent Scotland approached Northern Ireand and the Isle of Man to form a Gaelic Union.

They could also approach Wales and Cornwall...

15. David

This what astonished me from the start. People are finally waking up with a week to go and realising this may spell the end of the UK - who is to blame? The Scots, or the apathetic millions who didn't care until it was too late?

No one was expecting a national group hug and exclamations of "we love you, don't go", but every one of my friends and relatives north of the border have heard nothing but indifference (at best) and at worst the usual "good riddance" BS from the south.

If everyone started giving a damn months ago, perhaps things might be a little different.

For the record, I'm firmly in the "No" camp, but I can fully understand why the "Yes" vote might win through.

16. adidan

I did think of it at the time it's just I heard so little of it afterwards I can't believe they all agreed to go ahead with the stupid idea.

I should have known better.

I find that odd, down here all I've heard is that any polling or interviews that have been done have been with people who don't want Scotland to leave.

Actually up in Tyne & Wear there's even been serious talk of would we be better off joining and Independent Scotland - I think the main losers in all of this will be North Englanders TBH, they will then be getting shat on by politicians from above and below.

17. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I remember back in the 80's drinking with a bunch of newcastle lads in London who even then echoed that sentiment

In other news : http://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...and-with-scottish-brethren-in-edinbu.25254357

OMFG, that's all they need. That is not going to end well.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Get the water cannons and tear gas at the ready, that could get very ugly.

Not just Tyne & Wear, but everything in the rest UK except for London will loose horribly if we don't have the Scots helping us any more to try to counter Westminster.

19. David

Again though, how much of that is real and not being amplified by the yes crowd is anyone's guess.

You could argue that the north (nay, the vast majority) of England has much more in common with Scotland than it does with London.

20. adidan

That's that then, that'll be a 'yes' vote and 1980's Belfast 2.0

Aye, feel sorry for me then mate as I have both Leeds and Cockney blood flowing through these veins - constantly bickering with myself.

Go back a bit and there's Scottish and Welsh too so no wonder I don't really know which way I would vote in anything like this.