1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

So is anyone up for joining in on a first city in one of them neighbourhood thingys?

add me on Origin if you don't already have me: bawnslippy

2. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

The wonderful client that is Origin (/sarcasm) decided tonight that I owned no games.

Safe to say they've again cocked up by not gauging the popularity of SimCity and the servers are overloaded. Congrats, looks like I won't be buying it yet!

Does anyone else understand why they're selling it for £45 with £15 off a game that's not less than £30. How did they think people wouldn't go somewhere else to buy the game and therefore earn less from selling it?

I hope someday that Gaben and Valve flatten EA.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Just tried to log on an play mass effect 3, but I can't as when I try to log on it gives a message about the networking being slow and unable to load my library! After 10-15 mins of waiting it eventually loads. I load the game and then it gives me a message to say because it cant authorize any of my DLC, I can't continue my game in progress.

I assume this is a combination of the Sim City release and the foolishly timed Citadel DLC for ME3.

This is such BS. It's like they are trying to turn me into a Pirate....

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

AND Battlefield 3 updating with a 6.1GB patch.

Total screw up, and just not good enough (though in fairness I haven't had any problems, I just feel for those that have)

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Seen a report on RPS of 30 min queues to get onto servers.

You can login, but a specific region will be stored on a specific server and if you want to load that one up, you'll have to wait.

This is with US release only :/

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

From what I hear EA haven't turned on all the servers yet, it doesn't help that EU players have in essence gotten an early release by being able to play on us servers causing backlog

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Unfortunately they made the epically stupid mistake of releasing SimCity the same day as they release the End Game DLC for Battlefield 3 without preparing the servers. :duh:
    Any normal team would see the release dates on the two items and think to plan for extreme server load.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2013
  8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

**sorry double post**

Last edited: 5 Mar 2013
  9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

There has been a 30 minute wait for many people even in the US. Plus with the always on DRM you have to connect to server to play.

And the cloud save for your city is server specific. So buy playing on a US server now via VPN means all the hours of building an epic city when you do get in are lost and you have to start again.

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Just to pour salt on the wound: there are many (many) reports on Reddit and elsewhere about save games just being lost - poof! Up in smoke.

So, yeah, good job EA. You've outdone yourself by making a day-one disaster worse than the legendary Error 37.

Was going to get this game, but I just cannot be bothered at this point. The more I hear about it the less inclined I am to pick it up for anything more than a tenner.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Again, how? My pre-order on Origin is still saying unreleased, and the store pages are all still saying pre-order.

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

There is a pre order bug causing anyone who did pre order to not be activated and then those who haven't pre ordered but bought the game today having access. The only way to play on US servers is to use a VPN.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So EU pre-orders are supposed to have access? Or only if they use a VPN?

14. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I ordered the collectors edition for Friday from Game for £42 (Call me a sucker, but I want to play that English downloadable content, and I had a few points to spend).

Hopefully it won't be as bad on Friday as it seems to be

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I think the US has access, UK etc doesn't just yet or activation has been staggered.

16. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

17. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Been a long wait and so close now. I wantses it now.. I needs it.

18. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Because I'm living in the US for a couple of months I got the game early, but I haven't been able to play it to be honest. If I'm lucky I play for 3 minutes without a disconnect from the server, pisses me off to be honest.

19. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

Just enter the tutorial and exit game to SC menu.

It's ridiculous that you have to wait to play this game. I hate EA as it is but making us wait like this is a MMORPG queue line is just..... lost for words.

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Origin preorders are only given keys when EA wants to unlock them - third party stores actually give you the key up front so you can go and VPN in if it's not released in your region yet.

All region servers have been up since the Singapore release, but here's the last minute staggered release dates:

https://help.ea.com/article/when-will-simcity-be-released

AFAIK the time your Origin preorder unlocks now depends on which Origin site you bought it from as EA have learned from the big BF3 Singapore thing.

I for one seem to have screwed myself over by exploiting their Indian store, but then again I only paid like 15 pounds so fair enough I guess :p