1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony not cutting PS3 price in Europe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 13 Jul 2007.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Do they? all the ones ive looked at say Vista only. oh well.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The PS3 can run games at at least 1366x768 and normally at 1920x1080. There is nothing that can do that native at a good FPS.

The PS3 is overpriced as a gaming console but as a computer it's cheap as chips. I have said since the first PS3 news that Sony have ****ed up their marketing.

3. HitmanAdski

HitmanAdski What's a Dremel?

The Price for a PS3 over here in Australia is around the $1000 mark :jawdrop: it's huge and that's despite our currency that is actually doing well (for us that is) at 0.85 cents for a USD (or is it 0.75 cents...), anyway our prices aren’t being dropped either. I looked and read about the PS3 when the first words came out, and how good it was going to be... yada yada yada... but then $1000 came along and smashed my dream of putting down the Nintendo and become a Sony kid (Game Cube... well sucked to round it up). Anyway Sony are trying to become a premium brand in a Mid priced market, guess what Sony IT'S NOT WORKING even when you have the PSP that has awesome features with the PS3 you aren’t getting enough sales.

If Sony wants to make money, then they either drop prices and sell games OR do something about it, I mean look at the 360 your able to play with your PC friends, what have Sony done? Come on Sony if you want to not be known for a high priced System that didn't get enough sales to make a Sequel... then you know... listen!!

Enough at the criticism, tbh I love the PC and would rather spend more money on it than a console that has 1 or 2 exclusives when PC has about 100.

If the price doesn't drop by next year, the PSwii isn't going to work.

4. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

First off, sorry I came across as rash, but so did you.... Also, you didn't list off any components with their respected prices...either way it doesn't matter because what you said about the computer doing all the photo editing and surfing the web, etc. is really irrelevant to the argument. The argument was about gaming/performance, not overall usability. And Yes a $700 Dell computer right now can (probably) play Current-gen games at 1280X1024, that is true, but what about Next-gen DX10? Secondly, you don't just buy a computer to play current games at the max settings, you buy a computer to future-proof yourself for playing games for the next 2-3 years, but even at 1280X1024 that rig is still not as good as PS3's 1366X768 or 1920X1080.

Also, regarding your statement about how a PC offers the user the ability to "edit your photo's, have full use of downloading/web facilities from all websites, run pretty much any application/program you like, play the huge catalogue of PC games and do much more...", you can run Linux on the PS3 which will allow you to do all of this AND with a mouse and keyboard, so what does a computer offer that a PS3 doesn't in terms of usability on that stage?, but tbh I do not own a PS3, I have not installed Linux on it, and I have not tried using the operating system or have I tried editing photos or listened to music, etc., so I can't tell you if the experience would anywhere close to the same as it would be on a PC.

I also agree that Sony's PS3 marketing team ****ed up their marketing on the console and that it is biting them in the butt and also that more original games need to debut before the PS3 worth the money as a gaming console

Last edited: 16 Jul 2007
  5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You should bear in mind when considering PS3 for PC usage that it is pretty limited, you get 200Mb RAM to use and you don't have access to the RSX, so HD video playback etc just isn't happening, you can liken it to a **** laptop, suitable for web/email and office stuff but much else is probably beyond its scope. For a lot of people what it can do would be plenty, my brother for example only wants a PC for games and downloading music etc from the web, for his money he is better off with a PS3, I know how to build cheap PCs and I know what they cost and how long they typically last, he is not in a position to keep up and I don't want the phone calls when a game doesn't work etc. :D PS3 is perfect for him, of course explaining Linux to someone who barely understands Windows was another challenge :lol:

Currently browsing via my PS3 ;)

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

You made the PS3 sound so good up until you said that lol :p

7. devdevil85

Sadly I can only assume. It's not right for me to say something as if it's fact, but I would only WISH that I could do the same on a PS3 as I could my 2-3 year old computer.....but I guess I can't but o well, it doesn't matter since (again) I already own a decent PC for all of the "other stuff". The only thing that matters to me right now is upcoming gaming (whether I'm gonna go with the PS3 after Xmas or with a PC for DX10 games, idk, games will be the deciding factor, not "everything else" and of course price, too but I'll weigh that in later...)

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Although I'm glad that you don't baselessly knock on the Playstation 3, I highly doubt their marketing team is to blame, especially for high retail costs or the resulting poor sales. They marketed the home console decently--maybe not enough as I hardly came across any promotions in person--and it was priced perfectly fair as far as the multi-billion dollar investment in the Cell Broadband Engine is concerned. It was the consumer's expectations that were far too high and the failure of delivery on the developers' part.
    A breakdown of the cause-effect relationship Sony has had with their Playstation 3:
    • None of the promised titles were anywhere to be found upon release; cause: all of the involved developers and publishers who strictly prioritized presenting us with distantly future titles at conventions--did you ever hear about Killzone 2 or Final Fantasy VII since then?
    • Blu-ray Disc (alongside its competitor) was having difficulties in establishing itself as a popular format; cause: we, the consumers, could not make up our minds and still can't
    • Sony's online Playstation Network was effectively functionless due to the above two shortcomings; cause: feature titles were pushed back indefinitely
    • games that were available at the release date were generally poorly developed and too few; cause: developers did not commit to their projects and Sony's engineers did not create a satisfactory developer's kit
    • the console was delayed far too long to remain in the competitive bracket wherein the Xbox 360 stood, forcing the Playstation 3 to seat itself in a higher-end niche at launch--though this has changed over the past year; cause: IBM et al could not finalize the consumer version of the Cell in time
    The console's computing power was ultimately left unused for the most part. Recall the endless barrage of trailers and 'tech demos' immediately preceding the system's launch. There were the occasional realistic production titles at E3, but the main attraction was the Cell Broadband Engine--which performed flawlessly--but that did not accomplish anything with respect to achievable launch titles. In hindsight, Sony's only marketing slip-up that I can conjure is their lack of promotional material... and promoting all of the wrong things in their vague press releases--Cell's power does not immediately translate into malleable video game satisfaction. It was a cascade of failure from just about every other source out there connected upon which the Playstation 3 relied that resulted in an abysmal first breath and continuing struggle.

9. devdevil85

/\Amon

Holy crap, you write as if I was reading from a LORD novel; perfect grammar, no mis-spellings. Tbh I love it! Anyways, I should've zoned-in on what I thought they messed up at. What I feel Sony's Marketing has failed to explain about the PS3 to the consumer IS: What the PS3 offered/offers over the competition because people only see it as an expensive/polished 360 with a brother-to-HDDVD media drive. It's amazing how much is involved with producing a console, let alone what it takes to launch one, so I understand why the PS3's path so far has been rocky, but they are making up for it, and this Xmas will really be the deciding factor on whether the console is what consumers want or whether it's a failing/overly expensive console, because of course to a niche market the console is a great value, but to the average consumer it may be over-priced and with no games it's probably just plain not worth it (especially in the UK/EU). Either way, I love the console and if good games debut I will have a reason to buy it; not only because it would have good games, but also decent-to-great BC on some of my PS1/friend's PS2 games, it can upscale my library of DVDs to 1080i, I won't have to drag a cord 800 feet from our modem to our basement (of couse the 360 can do it, but you gotta spend another $60), rumble should be back, and I might just be able to pick up a used 60GB for $350, but of course I'm just hoping), as for the 360 my best friend already owns one and he will be getting any games I myself would want, so I don't see a reason to buy it. ok enough rambling

Last edited: 16 Jul 2007
  10. DougEdey

I have almost found the perfect bundle for me: PS3, + 3 games £399 delivered. Flog the games off for £20+ each, happy days!

11. devdevil85

Not bad Doug, not bad....

12. DougEdey

But I may wait untill Heavenly Sword comes out, tbh I've wanted to play it ever since I was offered a job to develop it

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

devdevil85:
    Hehe glad to hear :lol: I just hate typing on this crappy IBM keyboard because the key size and layout is much different that what I use at home; so my typed words per minuted is honestly 10. :( I keep messing up every single word!

Tags: Add Tags