1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Temporary and cheap alternative. Or X99 build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 1 May 2016.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah, that was my round about way of basically agreeing with Vault-Tec :D I play quite a lot of 'older' games which do support multi GPU so it tended to be fine for me, but yeah newer stuff, much more hit and miss.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I ran 670 SLI and it was absolutely chuffing brilliant. I even went onto a Radeon 7990 (two 7950ish) and it too was very good around that time.

Not only that Glenn but 4gb VRAM is not enough either. I know that too, because I've pushed my cards too far and ran out and seen what happened.

It's just the here and now unfortunately. I bought my second card at the worst possible time, because AMD were still riding high on the "Hey the 295x2 is awesome" wave. It all came crashing down just after that.

But I know that the problems are not all limited to AMD, and Nvidia users have been having a pretty torrid time of it too recently. Maybe not quite as bad as AMD users, but still enough to stop me from selling my cards and going Nvidia as it wouldn't fix the issue.

AMD and Nvidia had to fight game devs long and hard over the years to get them to support SLI and Crossfire. And some one somewhere has decided it's time to give up. Maybe because the support was costing more than Nvidia and AMD make on extra GPU sales? no idea. I think they also thought every one was going to rush out and buy a 4k monitor but people are not. They're more than happy with a 1440p monitor (as I am now).

Always. I should have dropped to 1440p when I swapped out my Titan Blacks in SLI to a Fury X. I'm really enjoying being back on one card and a res it can handle.

That's why I'm still not a believer of 4k, because there isn't a single card for it yet.

Oh yeah you can add Dying Light to the list of fail too. Textures flicker like crazy in SLI and Crossfire (tried it with both).

It's a shame, because I was on SLI and Crossfire for years and aside from ATI's "runt frame" thing that I certainly did notice I had a lot of fun.

Last edited: 2 May 2016
  3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think that a serious revision in my plans are called for. Rather than wait for god knows how long and upgrade my GPU perhaps an X99 build then which will mean no GPU upgrade until next year?

So looking for MATX mobo and CPU suggestions now.

4. Vault-Tec

I hate to say it but TBH? now isn't a great time to upgrade your CPU and board either. Zen is a few months away and could seriously make Intel think about their prices. I mean **** dude, it might even be better than what Intel have.

However, I will admit that unlike Pascal Zen (and especially the big ones) are still a good few months away rather than next week.

So, I would say Asrock X99 fatal1ty M

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-Fat...8&qid=1462185013&sr=8-2&keywords=asrock+X99+m

Ram?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-16-...TF8&qid=1462185073&sr=8-1&keywords=4x4gb+ddr4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i7-5...F8&qid=1462185111&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+5820k

Though do shop around as I have not checked prices elsewhere. If you wanted a blue board then this should suffice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-X99...F8&qid=1462185152&sr=8-1&keywords=asrock+x99m

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Need a board that will take a PCI express sound card which I foolishly bought here and then found my GPU blocks the only appropriate slot on the mobo.

6. Vault-Tec

The Asrock comes decked out with a Killer Network card and a SB Recon 3D which is almost as good as a Soundblaster Z. You should still be able to use your Asus in there, Glenn, but personally I wouldn't bother unless you are running some seriously expensive headphones.

You should easily get back what you paid for it, should you choose that path :)

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I know I am going to regret asking this but:
    Sorry how would I use the sound card on the Asrock as I do not see the necessary slot?

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Isn't Broadwell-E launching at Computex (end of May- beginning of June)?

After looking at GPUs the other day, I noticed a fair few AMDs (390/390Xs) and some NVidias are on pre-order only. Less pre-orders on the NVidia side admittedly if you'd prefer to stick with them, but it looks like places are clearing stock. I saw a Gigabyte 390X on Amazon for £270-£280 the other day (AMD equivalent of the 980). Basically, I can't imagine new cards are far away, probably closer on the AMD side of things.

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You'd use the bottom PCIe slot. The card may have a smaller connector, it'll still seat and work properly in the larger slot (unless it's old style PCI not PCIe). If your graphics cooler is a 3 slot jobbie, you won't be able to use the slot for audio.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Can you confirm that this sound card will work in a full sized slot, if so I could be using it now as I have a spare PCI slot in fact I have to as only the smaller PCIE slot is inaccessible.

Another question will I need to buy a new CPU cooler? The reason I ask is I am sure I read that socket 1155 coolers will fit but again I maybe wrong.

11. Vault-Tec

The sound card will 100% fit and work in a X16 slot Glenn. It will work in any PCIE slot (X1, x4 x16 they're all different sizes but work the same) So yes, you could be using it now lol.

What cooler do you have?

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Do I feel a fool? Why did I not know this I wonder? :wallbash:

I have a Silverstone Tundra TD03 in a cupboard but doubt I will use that. I am currently using a Silverstone NT06-E.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

14. Vault-Tec

Don't waste your money on that ram. I bought Dom Plats before, complete waste of money. The memory I linked you to on Amazon is more than good enough dude. Avoid Ebuyer too. They were awful when I ordered my £3500 PC.

15. Vault-Tec

Yeah I got caught out by it too once. Basically PCIE slots are mostly the same, they just get longer and increase in bandwidth (so X1, X14 X16 etc).

Neither are ideal for a 5820k. Ideally you want a double radiator (either in length or thickness) however, I think I would use the Tundra personally. High core count chips tend to work very well with AIOs.

16. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'd also recommend a different board (this one). I build PCs for a living and have seen many many issues with both X99 and Z170 ASRock boards. I'd never recommend one, not at the moment anyway.

17. Vault-Tec

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry but I must have my bling, I currently have Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Kit (4 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 with blue LEDs and they have been great, never had an issue.

The Tundra will spoil the overall look of my set up as with a radiator it is too bulky.

The carbide 240 would not take a particularly large cooler and I am keen to use a low profile similar to the NT06-E

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just so you know, that £650 worth of gear won't really improve your gaming experience. I mean, if you have the cash spare then why not, but its not a replacement for a new GPU etc.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Appreciate that Tom, but this is not a replacement for a GPU. I am just bringing next years build forward as the new GPU seem to be very hazy as to when they will arrive.

the build might not happen but pricing up and researching is always fun, for me anyway.