1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Temporary and cheap alternative. Or X99 build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 1 May 2016.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I have a Samsung 256GB M.2 drive for sale in the MP Glenn. It's AHCI though not NVME, whether thats a big issue or not I don't know?

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Saw that mate. And to be honest I know zilch of M2 so at the moment I do not know the significance of either NVMe or ACHI and whether in the real world it really matter which one I buy.

So if you can help on that score I would be grateful?

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I dont know much either Glenn, I dont get the time like I used too to stay on top of all the latest tech. But someone here should be able to give an unbiased explanation and advise wether NVMe is worth the extra money over ACHI (may just depend on what you are using it for). I will also add that I am open to offers on the drive as I am not going to ever use it!

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I asked earlier on and pretty much got go and read up on Wikipedia or that NVMe was new tech as opposed to ACHi which was old but in the real world am I likely to notice the difference I wonder?

5. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Always glad to be of help ;)

As to AHCI vs NVMe and are you likely to notice a difference... To be honest, I have one PC with an Intel 750 series (400gig) and another with a Samsung 950 Pro. Both are NVMe and yet the Samsung boots far quicker. My son's PC (840 Pro) boots quicker than the Intel.

When it comes to copying large files, or programs (such as Adobe CS) then the NVMe drives are faster and more responsive. It's not a massive difference in time, it's hard to quantify, but the experience is improved. It's not like the difference you notice going from a platter based hard drive to an SSD though.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

We seem to think a fast boot is the be all end end all of computing, it is a massive reason to move to Windows 10, so I constantly read, which I hate with a vengeance. But thanks for the info.

I am totally confused with the whole M2 set up I have no idea how I would then set it up if I bought an adapter, how I would make it a boot drive. So I will save myself a 100 quid and leave the M2 and adapter off my shopping list.

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Just installed Dirt Rally. Single card average FPS on benchmark 36, SLI average 71.5. 99% scaling worth everything maxed.