1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

bump for an update.

2. Lystfiskern

Lystfiskern What's a Dremel?

I see what u did there. Still in limbo i guess :eyebrow: ?

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Johnny- HEY!:nono:

Yes, still in limbo. The end of summer is always bad. I'm up to 3 vacancies as of this week. I'm trying to get some entertainment for you, but the back room looks like a hardware store exploded at the moment.:lol:

4. Lystfiskern

Lystfiskern What's a Dremel?

all in good time brother..

5. Cheapskate

Most of what I've done so far is digging out tons of random metal bits I've saved. Things would go faster if I kept this kind of stuff in ONE PLACE. There's been a lot of mulling over what to use them for, and lots of attempts to jigsaw parts together.
    [​IMG]
    -Earlier last month there was Desk-a-palooza, a massive migration of office furniture. Five staplers, four scotch tape dispensers, and a jillion of those magnetic-topped paper clip holders later, I got a desk space I could photograph for the first time. The rest of the room is still filled with spare desks, sadly. I think I'll make a chain mail suit with the paper clips later...
    Don't laugh at my high-spec monitor.
    [​IMG]
    -I've set aside some candidates for power switches.
    [​IMG]
    -I've opted for a lawnmower piston for the power button housing. I'm going to try to seat it Dalek-style on the tank.
    [​IMG]
    -To work out the shape of the cut, I used some index cards and some scotch tape. I had plenty around to burn through.
    [​IMG]
    -That's a good start. I traced the line onto the piston next.
    [​IMG]
    -I found a mystery box at my door the other day. This one didn't tick, thankfully. I'd really like to know who keeps sending me clocks.
    [​IMG]
    -Yay! Bubble wrap! It will take me a month to pop all this.:D
    [​IMG]
    -No! Monkey! Not again!
    [​IMG]
    -Ah...Anyway, There was some nifty Swiftech kit in the box. This 140mm x 2 radiator will fit the tank nicely, and allow me to chop about five inches off the tank. There's a greasy spot where my nose touched it. -Gotta love that fresh paint smell.:D
    [​IMG]
    -There was also the new MCP50X pump.
    [​IMG]
    -It's almost the same footprint as the DDC, although just a hair bigger. The height is noticeably taller to this dead DDC I wired backwards that one time.:(
    [​IMG]
    -Warranty-voided.:lol: I was planning on mounting the top reverse cowgirl anyway. These are a complete redesign, so no aftermarket DDC tops for you. These are using a ceramic shaft and have a lot tighter fit that the free-floating DDC impeller. I'm awfully tempted to make a new top anyway. I think I can.:D
    [​IMG]
    -The impeller is seated on nylon bushings. It looks like this setup allows for a lot more electromagnet. The intake is huge compared to the DDC too. The open impeller means I could change the shape of the intake a bit if I made a custom top.
    [​IMG]
    -Also there was-Holy cow! how did they fit that in the box? There's a million baggies with color plates, TIM, AMD chip brackets, and 2011 mounting screws. -Wait... socket 2011 screws. there's only 4.
    [​IMG]
    The Apogee XL in all it's shiny guts glory. The top's light box can be changed with the included plates in primary colors. I think I'll be making a cover of my own since I stumbled onto a sale of unique colored plexiglas. -I told myself no more plexiglas.:( I think I have an addiction.
    [​IMG]
    -Must...resist... The inevitable dismantling to see the guts will have to wait too.
    [​IMG]
    -Back to that Radiator. Seating this in the tank is the critical bit. I plan to have the components assembled as a single part that slides in the tank over the fans. This plate salvaged from an x-ray machine Is a perfect start for a subframe. (Again, it's amazing what you find in vacant houses.)
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the first fan I mounted...
    [​IMG]
    -Now a bit of plastic to represent the seating surface...
    [​IMG]
    -The plastic is a little thick, I think I can get the radiator even closer to the sides of the tank. It's hard to tell. I can't exactly fit my head in there to see. -I tried.:(
    [​IMG]
    -Then our X-ray aluminum on top.
    [​IMG]
    -I dug out some PSU heatsinks that fit over the plate perfectly. I can use these for seating the frame in the tank, and building the motherboard support.

I'd like to say thanks to Brian and everyone at Swiftech for their support. I'll try not to disappoint.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
    ifohancroft likes this.
  6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I just HAVE to follow this, don't I? :D

7. GeneralFun

GeneralFun Lurker with tools

Cheaps is no doubt one of the characters that makes this forum so addictive. Can't believe "Gwassgween"... after years of fabrication gets connected to a what.... 15 inch monitor? You'd think Nvidia would send a sponcered adaptive vsync monitor to hook up to such a legendary PC? This should be "GehtoFun!" Subbed!

8. Cheapskate

@Perp- Yes, you do.
    @General - It's 17! -ish. and I asked you not to pick on my monitor. There was a time when this was all that would fit on the desk.

9. Primum Agmen

Primum Agmen What's a Dremel?

This is great. Can't wait to see how this pile of junk comes together. :) The Millennium Trashcan indeed.

10. perplekks45

Any plans to finish this beast this side of 2020?

11. Cheapskate

@Primum -Thanks.:D
    @Perplekks - Yes, but the world has other plans. -Plans to thwart me an' keep me down.

12. perplekks45

You know who I blame, don't you? :D

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Monkey magic turnip, woohoo. :D

14. Cheapskate

Someone will asking for a translator. :lol:
    I mentioned on the zoo that despite picking up a load of new colors in plexi, I'll be going with dark blue and dark purple plexi for my accent colors.
    -STILL searching for a pile of brass keychain blanks I cubbied away really well. -perhaps too well. Oh, yes. There will be brass.

15. Cheapskate

Ah, some monkey edited my log start at the zoo. I suspect AMD are on board.:D -See post one for a hint.
    [​IMG]
    -New colors from Delvie's. They are great edge-effect materials, but not very strong backlit. I'm going with my stockpile of dark blue and purple.
    [​IMG]
    -This little hacksaw is great for complex cuts. I had a little trouble when the pads rubbed my marks off.
    [​IMG]
    -At this point, I switched to a file.
    [​IMG]
    -The desk just keeps getting worse. Anyone for some cast floppy frames?:lol: I never found that cache of brass plates. I did find 6 more dead harddrives, though.
    [​IMG]
    -I'll leave you with a hint. Session one of four and parked on the zero so I can come back later. I had the spindle geared way up, and I think I got 30weight and chips in my hair.

ifohancroft likes this.
  16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Fudge yeh!

17. Cheapskate

Your name has "crap" in it, so I'm worried that your censored post may be from only moderate enthusiasm.:lol:

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. Cheapskate

Putobuket is in prime form today. -gotta love a service so loaded with code that you have to wait a minute or so for the name to finish typing in the login window.
    [​IMG]
    -That fits a little better.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm still filing down where the rod fit. It's taking forever because of the lack of clearance. *Insert short stroke joke here*
    [​IMG]
    -You know that line about "everything but the kitchen sink"? Well, guess what. I have one of those too.:lol: -four or five, actually, but one sink and one faucet that are completely destroyed. They never have screens in them either when we get a house back. -Stupid stoner tenants!:(
    [​IMG]
    -Ah, yeah. Front-loading USB, right in little R2D2-knock-off's eye socket.
    [​IMG]
    -Bill/AKA MNPCTech sent some of the Munkeyplates to me. I designed it, so I get a copy.:D ...That didn't work with the FrozenCpu Test Bench, though.:(
    [​IMG]
    -120mm fan for reference. I have no clue if I can use them here.
    [​IMG]
    -Last update, I was teasing a cut session. Here's session 2. I'm running about 40 minutes for each. It's not the fastest rig.
    [​IMG]
    -#5,-er...3. Or how to turn a tiny bit of metal into a big pile of oily sand.
    [​IMG]
    -Session...? Dude, I should totally design sneakers, man!
    [​IMG]
    -Since I'm using silicone glue to stick it to the MDF, I had to soak the board until I could peel it free. It's hard to get the part perfectly flat with this technique, so I had some spots that didn't cut all the way through.
    [​IMG]
    -Here it is sanded down, except for some really conspicuous spot welds filled with primer. I'd have it bolted to the radiator, but I used the wrong measurements for the fan holes. -Story of my life.

ifohancroft likes this.
  19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Cheaps....I've just been looking though this and I haven't got the foggiest idea what is going on.. This is proper seat of the pant modding.

There was me thinking I was the only one who modded with whatever is laying about.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice grill & Munkeyplates. :D