1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "The NOTalis Project" by E.E.L. Ambiense & Mnpctech...."Snow storm halts install!"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 7 Oct 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Ah, fair enough then.

Hey, we should have a Halloween pics thread after the 31st. I'm probably going as a pirate (unoriginal but I might as well make use of my beard and long hair) :D

2. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Awesome intake design is awesome!

Must...contain...pressure, head...explosion...imminent,
    too......much......AWESOME....(bang!)

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Back when i was a sign maker all we used were taped razor blades or tooth picks. lol!

this is one epic mod!

this 4 day mod da thon, is it just the beginning of epic things to come?

4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Technically it was 1 day, if even that. The 4 days were a great venue for brainstorming new products ideas, sharing opinions about the industry, ideas for future builds etc. Shop talk that we couldn't have achieved over email. His time here is already leading to Epic things :thumb:

E.E.L. makes the first official incision. Notice it's a Craftsman rotary tool, not a Dremel.

[​IMG]

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Definitely, bro! We had a blast.

And now for another infusion. I said that in a Monty Python-type voice, "And now for something completely different". :lol:

Bill continues the side grill work by taping off the shell with scotchtape green from 3M; works perfect for that "just-enough-adhesion-without-removing-paint-when-I-peel-it-off" kind of behavior.

After marking out where the grill needs to go, he cuts a small slit with a rotary tool to start some awesome jigsaw work.

[​IMG]

Like anything he does, Bill's a master at this method. It's really cool to experience it in-person because it's definitely an artform in the highest respects.

[​IMG]

Shot of the grill...

[​IMG]

Let's see if this is good yet...

[​IMG]

Good, but not perfect. Let's file the edges down a bit. After the quick jigsaw work, Bill proceeded to file the edges with a handfile. This is a good way to fix any anomalies with your initial jigsaw cuts, because you can 'hone' the hole down to the proper shape desired. Like sculpting!

[​IMG]

6. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR

Can you guys show us the concept art E.E.L. made before going to MN? (I thought i heard about it in the podcast)

7. mnpctech

I don't think we had planned it that far in advance. E.E.L. did email me a concept drawing a few days before his arrival. I'm sure he would share that.

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Good to see the file work after the jigsaw cuts! Makes a more formal statement than "Oh Crap"! I use that a lot.

Even experienced professional modders need to tweak their cuts. There is hope for the rest of us.
    Very nice work, now if I can find the green 3M i'll be rollin. Got the blue by the case. Auto paint shop I go!

9. Interloper

Interloper Faux Pro Modder

:duh: I was in such awe of it's amazingness. that numbers alluded me. LOL

10. mnpctech

@ John, I've always used hand files after making cuts with power tools. Yes, try the Autobody Supplies Stores John. You will love the 233+ GREEN tape!

@ Interloper, hehe, "You love your thick aluminum" - Kylevdm told me this in the last TMB Podcast

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Of this mod, I approve.

12. mnpctech

Thanks bro! E.E.L. "Coppola" Ambiense has been busy editing video highlights of his visit. My YT account was grandfathered in before the 10min limit, we can post whatever length we want, as long as we don't exceed 20GB, so this video should be near feature length.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I see green that isn't tape.:D

I like the fact that you cleaned up the hole even though no one will ever see it.
    (And as soon as I finish typing, I realize I should just shut up...This thread has EEL and John in it, after all.:duh:)

14. jhanlon303

You are always welcome to comment! I have to figure out how to tell Marilyn that E.E.L. doesn't have a pierced ear to wear the 'Eye of Ra' earring that She sent him.:duh::wallbash:

15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Great mod!

I will me watching it!

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

MOAR?!?!?!?!

NOW!!!

In case you hadn't noticed: I like it and I subscribed. :p

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

Alright, alright, lol! Here ya go!

------------

Alright, another infusion of an update here.

Last we left off, Bill was filing down the cut on the side panel of the shell. He finished that, obviously, but now the shell was roughed down with a Scotchbrite red pad to get it ready to accept the primer that is to be applied to it.

[​IMG]

Oops, almost forgot the holes to mount the radgrill to the side panel! Well, quick work with his handy heavy-duty hole-punch for that. Screw the drill-bits! Get it? Bah, tough room. :lol:

[​IMG]

Click....

[​IMG]

Foomp!

[​IMG]

All done! Nice clean bur-free hole.

In other news, Bill needed to make a little clearance for some of the screws that will hold the new grill to the side panel shell. Some really quick rotary tool work fixes the problem! Sorry for the pics; Bill moves so quick it's hard to get a good pic of him doing it! :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love a good fireworks show!

[​IMG]

Now, let's sand down the chassis to get it ready for some primer as well. Make sure all the screws are removed before doing this or you'll hate yourself in the morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's that saying about having a statically-electric personality? ;)

[​IMG]

More coming!

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

No gloves? :nono:

I'm kidding - moar update make me happy :D

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Been so busy combing through the mounds of material and footage that I haven't had much chance to reply to posts properly! Must get my dirty post quota in for the night!

LOL, "Coppola"?! Hahahaha!

Oh yes, bro....green green everywhere, but no cash in sight. ;) It's killer, too. :)

Hehe.... I'm leaving that one alone! :D

:) Actually, I have multiple piercings in my ears, but haven't worn earrings in years upon years. I do have them sitting right here safe and sound though by my TV/monitor at home off a chain!

Tell Marilyn I'm wearing the earrings in a piercing alright, but none that I can post on this forum. :D

Thanks, man!

20. jhanlon303

She already knows about such things:D:D:D:D The things we did when we were young:jawdrop: