1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I usually have lunch, dinner and a bite for supper instead of breakfast, but then dinner is rare to top 600 calories

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I normally leave dinner to be my biggest meal. I have a goal set of 1860 and figure that as long as I can leave about 1000 for dinner then I am usually pretty good.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Again, dinner should be the smallest meal of the day, as it has to sustain you over the shortest period of activity.. Its incredibly difficult given today's modern life etc, but having the bulk of your calories before sleep means more are stored as fat than stored as short term energy storage and used up during activity..

Or something like that.. I should listen more.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... I wish I could find the article I'm thinking of that would be *cool to share*. I was searching for it earlier when I saw this thread.

It was something like over a period of 50 years they followed and tracked the weight and meals of hundreds or more people. And they found that even among those that overate constantly, those that ate breakfast had a lower % weight gain than those on similar calorie intakes.

There was even many cases that showed that you could overeat a little bit and gain less weight over time compared to people on the edge or within their daily allowance that were skipping breakfast.

I really wish I'd had the prescience to note down where I read this now.

Key: They = Scientists that I can't remember whom, where or why they were working for.
    Their = Seems to indicate persons involved in the study

Last edited: 4 Mar 2013
  5. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Reading all these posts makes me so glad that I've got a target intake of 4000cals/day atm.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2013
  6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Special Brew. Dinner of champions.

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Skipped dinner in the end so ended up 20 cal under. Woop woop.

Having had such a large lunch I don't mind. Plus I had a meeting till 9 with a jeweller anyway so I wasn't hungry by the time I was home.

Kick boxing tomorrow so should geta nice big dinner after that.

8. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Even better at breakfast :lol:

9. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

A few of my friends have just said load up on meats / protein. Not sure how accurate that is though. I've managed to either remain under my 1530 calorie count a day, or if I go over, still be under after exercising, which has me excited. The scale hasn't changed, in fact it's gone up 2 pounds to 230, but I've gone down 1 belt loop. I try not to use my scale, I'll probably just check it every 2 weeks when I do my other measurements of hips, etc.

10. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Was on track last night until I hit the cookies and crisps after dinner.

Bad times.

However! Just signed up for Tough mudder on 6/5/13. 2 months to train like a motherlicker.

Getting sweaty palms just thinking about it.

11. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Be careful when eating too much meat.

Whilst it may keep you in line with your calories, you could also be consuming larger amounts of fat.

My advice, would be to eat plenty of white fish.

Each fillet only contains around an average of 0.3g of saturated fat, but is loaded with protein.

12. Scroome

Scroome Modder

If someone signed me up to Tough Mudder, I'd scoff a pack of cookies in panic!

13. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

A few of my friends said tough mudder isn't too bad if you're in decent shape.

The meat situation has been noted, not a fish fan but I'll do what I need to do. I did check my scale and down another pound to 226.9, aka 227. Pretty happy. Weather has been improving so I'm excited to finally get outside soon.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Allthough many wouldn't consider me overweight, I've started daily training around last christmas again. I'm 1.78m @ 77kg currently, but my goal is 65-70kg, which I had some 10 years back in time.

To get me there I do 45min of interval-training (15 slow - 15 fast - 15 slow) on the rowing machine every day and I started to cut down on carbs. My goal is not to loose weight as fast as possible, but steadily while improving overall fitness at the same time.

Best way would be to cut carbs alltogether actually and only eat fruit, vegetables and meat, but I can't live without bread and pasta :p

15. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I also write short story about my weight loss endeavors:

In summer 2006 i ended up gaining to gain about 6-8 kilograms of extra weight. At the start of the summer I was about 102kg or so and I knew I was overweight. There just wasn't any motivation to actually start the weight loss. Well at the end of the summer i was almost 110kg, and after this I still clearly remember how i said to myself "ok, that's it. I have to lose some weight now!". This and the fact I didn't like the way I looked gave me the much needed motivation boost. When I graduated from high school in spring 2008 my weight was about 73kg.

Most important part of my weight loss was the motivation. I can not stress this enough. Be it losing weight or trying to quit smoking, you must have the motivation to do it.

Second part was lifestyle change. My school nurse advised me to do this slowly and I did. I drank quite a lot of soft drinks and I also ate normal food way too much. For soft drinks I started to cut down my coca-cola consumption bit by bit. I didn't buy big bottles anymore, only cans. Yea, this was expensive, but it also gave me an economical reason to slow down. Plus its a lot easier to keep track of your drinking this way. Lifestyle change meant more exercise too. And I stared to walk school instead of using public transportation.

Oh, and probably the most important thing my school nurse told me was it's not important how much weight one should lose. Important is you try to change your lifestyle. Small victory is still a victory. :)

Sorry if some of my text didn't make sense. It's late already and I have slept poorly past few days.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Has anyone here tried the intermittent fasting diet? I lost half a stone in 3 weeks from it. Although 2 weeks in vegas put it all back on again. :doh: The first couple of fasting days were really hard, but i got used to it fairly quickly and found that i wasn't as hungry or had less of an urge to snack.

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

A guy at work is doing that and has been for a while. There's nothing left of him anymore, looks far from healthy but that's probably more him going a touch too far as he has definitely lost muscle.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

MyFitnessPal is pretty depressing, my main calorie source is snacking :p

I mean, I guessed it probably was, but seeing the numbers is scary, I'm amazed I haven't put on weight since coming back to uni.

As others have said, it's a great way to do things since it makes you think much more (even if you're not actively really looking to lose weight like me, but just try to improve diet)

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Different white fish is bloody delicious, I need to start eating more of it.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh it's not something I'd really want to do for long and you can do it too much. I was only fasting 2 days a week and just eating whatever I wanted the rest of the time. When i get close to the weight i want to be back to i'll cut it down to one day a week or increase the calories i have on the fasting days.

Not that i was extremely strict and counted every single calorie. My entire household is doing it and so i've picked up a general idea of whats what, but don't mind going a bit over.