1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Awwwwwww yeah!

Link.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Only lost 1kg over the last week.... I need to do better!

Can anyone recommend some decent digital scales? The one that I have at the moment is analogue and rubbish!

Last edited: 7 Mar 2013
  3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

1kg a week is a good sustainable rate and I would be very cautious about trying to loose weight quicker than that.

For scales we have the FitBit aria but then both me and the other half ware our fitbits every day so it makes sense to have scales which sync with the same ecosystem.

4. longweight

Yeah I guess you are right about that.

Those scales look amazing but also very pricey!

5. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Was really worried I'd gained since I haven't worked out for almost 2 weeks now.

Fortunately, I'm still 17.5 stone :)

24 days until the wedding, reckon I can rip another half stone out in that time :)
    (If I get my arse back in gear of course)

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This.

Losing or putting on weight too quickly is incredibly bad for you, 2lbs is normally around the maximum recommeneded wait change per week.

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Got another weigh in tonight, should be interesting as it has been a couple of weeks now. I am trying to be good but 1860 calories a day is not the easiest to stick to, just about managing though, went over by 40 yesterday but managed to be under by 1 the day before.

Gone down 4 holes on my belt over a period of 8 weeks that works out to almost 4" loss. I'm starting to see an actual change in shape now as well. My arms are getting back to how they used to be and my legs are toning right up with still looks a little odd given the big round belly sat on top of them...

Getting there.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

1500 calories a day sounds very low for an active male. Just depends on the job you do i guess if your doing heavy lifting 1500 calories is like not enough.

i went from 13 stone to 10.2stone last year in about 10-11months just by running the miles away was doing 8miles before work and 8-10miles after.

9. Almightyrastus

I sit at a desk all day at work so pretty inactive. I walk about a mile each way to work and back with at least one day having a 3.3 mile walk home (trying for 2 days now the weather is warming up a little).

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

1530 calories seems to be working for me, I'm 21 and a student and I manage to get a 30 minute run in plus some kettlebell swings and such and I feel fine. Granted, most of my childhood I skipped meals so I may just be used to the calorie deficit, and I was prone to snacking.

FitBit has become a bit obsessive for me, I look to it first before I decide to snack, and what I should be snacking on (look up some of the choices I have and choose based on which is best). I think it's been a really helpful tool as it really makes you stop to record what you're about to eat and see all the information / have second thoughts if its something that isn't healthy. In 30 min. on my treadmill my record has been something like 450 calories burned (I realize this is probably way off) and something like 1.6 or 1.65 miles. Each day I try to push myself to either beat or match the previous day and I feel like for the two weeks I have been doing it I've improved quite a bit, though it's rather boring. I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can go outside!

Glad to also see a lot of other people are having success.

11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Getting back into my serious training regime.

Swimming 1 mile per day ( 5 days a week before work ) and Running 10k 2 - 3 times a week.

Struggling to eat enough to keep me going at the moment, however, the weight is dropping off quickly. Will tone down the exercise once I'm at my ideal weight. ( only have to lost about 1.5 stone ) and planning to do a half marathon this year.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Nicely done sir!

We should maybe start a MFP Bit-tech group?

13. Almightyrastus

Thank you.

Just got in from a training session. A solid hour of circuit training, i am so going to be hurting in the morning.

Not sure about all joining up on MFP, don't want you all seeing how truly crap my eating habits are.... ;)

Just kidding (not about the crap eating bit...), I'm all for group motivation.

14. longweight

I have been using Striiv for a few days now, really interesting to see how far I walk each day, it is supposed to sync with MFP but I cannot get it to actually show how many calories I have used up whilst walking....

http://www.striiv.com/

15. mansueto

Come spring / summer when I start doing more outdoor activities I'll debate buying either one of the gadgets that tracks your steps or one of the monitor watches for your heart rate and such. Seems like they are great tools, though I feel that I'm on a successful track already.

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Are you using the app or the actual device? It looks quite cool but rather bulky.

17. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Thought I'd add something here. I also work sitting down but we have desks here that can be raised so I do at least half the day standing. Can you do the same? It helps IMO.

18. mansueto

I'm rather upset right now, Went geocaching / light hiking for 2 hours yesterday than went to play basketball for 2 hours, not sure what I did but my right knee is hurting now. Guess I won't be running for a few days, not too happy about it.

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I've been doing some heavier work on the farm as the weather has improved and usually do a small set of weights as soon as I get into the house since I'm warmed up. Seeing some small improvements to arm definition.

Going to speak with my sisters boyfriend and his brother if they want to sign up to a gym in town. €275 for 12 months membership with all classes included. If I am going to go with others, I find it easier to maintain a routine (say Tuesdays and Thursdays) and then still be able to do some cardio and light weights at home in my own time.

Starting to sort out my eating pattern a bit better as well the last week or so.

Ah Spring, the energy is coming back to me after the winter slump :p

20. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I'm planning to do the 28 challenge in the Mens Health magazine..I've been going to the gym for a while now so I need to push myself the extra mile.

Does anyone know how I can find a diet to suit this?...Been researching the web and can't get a decent answer..:(