1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Is that like me giving @GaryP 40p for his brain?

GaryP likes this.
  2. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I said 50p was an overpay .....

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I hope you are well paid for you job as those hours are absolute ass.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm still alive but I don't feel stronger.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Freelance writer, so... probably nowhere near enough to compensate for constant 12hr days!

bawjaws and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Once again back down to my lowest weight of 202.6 pounds. This will be the third time I've hit this now. Once in late November before birthdays and xmas, once last month before a ton of events in a row. Now I'm back with no events coming up. I've got more muscle so I'm looking and feeling the best ever at this weight. Another week or so like last week and I should finally dip into the sub 200 range which would make exactly 50 pounds lost.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nice work @MLyons - keep it up!

Today marks the end of my four-week intermittent fast "phase" and the beginning of a periodised training programme, focusing on muscle building and general fitness. There's no way I could have jumped into this without losing weight first - my motivation was rock bottom and I was lounging about eating crap and napping, and in no place to do any form of exercise.

I'll also be moving on to a slightly stricter meal plan as well, which is the best way to gain muscle, but I'm not a bodybuilder so I don't need to consume yuge amounts of protein... just enough to make the weight training worth my while. I'm splitting my meals into five servings, each containing at least 20g of protein, and will eat at 3-hour intervals: 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, and 9pm. This is vastly easier than intermittent fasting but it does mean more time spent organising and prepping food because I can't just shove any food in my gob at these times.

No matter how good it's been for me (and the many others in this thread) to get back on the wagon and lose weight & adopt a healthier, more active lifestyle, it's bloomin' hard graft doing it this way, make no mistake, but absolutely worth it.

Just bought 4x5kg plates from Amazon - the prices are still a bit high but between me and the wife they'll get plenty use.
    [​IMG]

8. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Your poor mother giving birth to that weight !!! :rolleyes:

Only way I can lose 50 pounds is putting a third of a tank of fuel in my car.

Keep going fella.

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Thanks Lenny
    This is interesting and something I've been wondering. At the moment I just do lifting when playing turn based games between turns and It's been working surprisingly well but I'm still losing weight. Once I've dropped enough I want to start doing a proper program for lifting.
    I considered this but it was going to be too much of a pain prep wise cutting food up so I went with 10AM, 1PM and 5PM

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Any kind of lifting is good for the body, as long as you're not overdoing it. I started training with weights back in '97 and have been less consistent over the last couple of years because of injury and other circumstances, but it's good to be back on it again, despite being the old fart that I am. I'm surprised how good the pump feels, just like old times! :grin:

There are a few knowledgeable folks here who lift so don't hesitate to ask if you want some pointers in structuring a programme.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'cos this thread ain't just about celebrating the wins:

upload_2024-4-1_11-19-0.png

Yeah, it's been a bad month, culminating in a heck of an Easter weekend spike. No excuses, I know exactly why it's happened. On the plus side, I'm still finishing the month lower than when I started - just about!

No blood pressure graph this time, as I've stopped measuring that - it seems to be in-hand with the medication, so I'll just give it a quick check once in a while (or if I start getting headaches or dizzy spells or whatever).

Right, let's see if I can get back on track for April. (Well, maybe apart from my birthday next week...)

LennyRhys likes this.
  12. MLyons

It's trending down, it's a win. This applies to weight, article views, money, nearly anything. As long as the trend is the right direction the progress doesn't matter 99.9% of the time.
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 184659.jpg
    You could say I've had a pretty bad quarter, I'm back to where I was 3 months ago. On the other hand, that trend from 250, although over way longer than it should have taken, is still in the right direction.

LennyRhys and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Easter is tough - lots of chocolate goodies spontaneously jumping into the ol' basket at Tesco (still have no idea quite how it happens), plus gifts of chocolate from family members.

Admittedly I'm eating too much chocolate but far from falling off the wagon just yet :D

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm back to being good again - no more than 1,600 calories a day, no cheating - though I have to admit I haven't weighed myself for a few days. Thought I'd give it a chance to undo some of the damage I did over my birthday before committing data to chart!

On a general health front, though, I dunno what's going on with my sleep at the mo':

upload_2024-4-10_11-13-13.png

That's Garmin's "sleep score" and "HRV status" - it fell off a cliff towards the start of the month and still hasn't recovered. Hopefully now I'm back eating better (and stopping eating after 1900 each day) it'll recover, 'cos while it's all a bit pseudoscience I'm definitely feeling knackered at the mo'...

Weekly_Estimate, LennyRhys and MLyons like this.
  15. MLyons

Hit my lowest of 200.6 Monday. SO ****ing close to the sub 200 I've been aiming for. If all goes according to plan my next weigh in on Monday should see me around 199.2 or lower.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Slendoge

17. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Lost 17lbs in 2 weeks eating a 1000cal meal once a day :)
    Pretty easy tbh, did it years before and lost a stone or more every month for 6 months.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Not weight loss (in fact it's the opposite), but I'm just back from a 10-day holiday and I've only put on 2kg so I'm taking that as a massive win :D

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I haven't been on the scales in a couple of weeks but last night I put on some shorts I hadn't worn since last summer. I noticed they felt huge. So, to test this theory I did a jiggle in the hall way and sure enough, they fell down to my ankles :D

I have never had to tie these shorts ever. They just fitted me. Now? they feel like bin liners.

20. MLyons

Under 200 at last. 198.4 pounds.
    Screenshot from 2024-04-15 11-48-21.png