1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Valve Radio Conversion: Thermionic Logic - 26/01/14

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boorach, 24 Feb 2013.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 26 Feb 2013
  2. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Ah, ok. So it only used to modify the existing output rather than altering the system volume control. Would be difficult with 5.1.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You can aswell get a USB-device like the Fusion Control USB Powered and Controlled Rotary Volume Knob. This directly controls the sound of Windows/OSX/Linux, without even needing to install drivers. Pushing the knob mutes/unmutes the sound in addition :)

Costs a little more ofc, but is even better.

4. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Oooh, I like the look of that! Just as well I have a birthday coming up.

Edit: if I can find a UK supplier or alternative that is.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2013
  5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I think it's the best DIY volume knob you can find anywhere. And with a little bit of imagination you can make good use of the illuminated shaft of this one aswell ;)

6. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

It looks like a great controller but postage doubles the price.

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Hey, that´s one good looking valve radio! And nice job remaking those bezels. Can´t wait to see some more! One question, where did you find those rotary limit switches? Been looking for something similar for a long time.

8. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Cheers, only had to remake the circular bezel fortunately. The other one just needed rubbed down and painting.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

10. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Cheers for that cheapskate but had found a Griffin Powermate on ebay which looked like it could be modified to do the job nicely.

Been thinking I need an actual name for my project as opposed to to a general description. What do you think of 'Thermionic Logic'?

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Mar 2013
  12. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Hi all. Has taken me a little longer than I had hoped to make some more progress on the radio but parts I have been awaiting have arrived and work has recommenced.

As per JRS' suggestion I have gone for fan controller and volume control for the other two main control knobs on the radio front. Got a cheap antec fan controller to operate the front fan and found a Griffin Powermate on ebay which will make a perfect volume control.

[​IMG]

Main knob pulled off easily allowing me to mount the rest of the control body and attach a brass in line coupling to get the distances right for mounting the original bakelite knob.

[​IMG]

Used another coupling on the fan controller.

[​IMG]

Used some spare bits of MDF to mount the switch gear. For the powermate I bored a 38mm hole, about 0.5mm less than the diameter of the powermate itself. With a little gentle persuasion I was then able to insert the powermate into the hole to give a secure fit without any adhesive. The mounting of the switches isn't pretty but will be hidden once the internal sections are fitted.

[​IMG]

Need to do some fitting adjustments and secure the fan controller switch which is very wobbly but looks pretty good if I do say so myself!

[​IMG]

I have also started gluing together the sections for the internal compartment so will get some pics of that uploaded as soon as the clamps come off.

13. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looks very sweet boorach! Do you have a plan for something behind that tuning bezel? And where did you find those rotary limit switches?

14. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Rotary limit switch on ebay

Switches were the same as in the above link. The tuning dial is staying for originality, will be illuminated. There is however a small window to the left of the tuning dial which housed the magic eye valve. Still trying to work out how best to replicate a magic eye valve with my limited electronics knowledge.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Man that's cool! This is coming along very well now!

16. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Nice update.

It made me read the first update, too. I didn't notice you got a second hand router and made a trim ring for the speaker hole yourself. Besides the fact that you live in the Shetland Islands, where a second hand router probably isn't something everybody own and sell off, it's really cool that you were able to make the trim ring yourself. Did you have any prior experience with routers?

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Glad it all worked out with the switches and the powermate ;)

18. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

KidMod - Thanks for the kind comments.

Nutman - Had never used a router before so was a fun learning experience.

jrs - Thanks for the advice, it works much better than the USB.

19. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Beautiful morning here so thought I'd grab a couple of pics of the internal box before heading into work.

[​IMG]

Thought it important to get a close up shot of the fan hole! ;)

[​IMG]

Have cut the cable management holes into the back panel.

[​IMG]

Finally a gratuitous scenery pic just because it was such a lovely morning.

[​IMG]

20. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Been messing around doing a few bits and pieces but not really getting anywhere but thought I was overdue an update so here we go...

Bought some walnut effect vinyl to line out the internal compartment. Not overly happy with the result but doubt I'll get it much better without rebuilding the entire inner compartment out of hardwood.

[​IMG]

Bought a larger fan for behind the speaker hole as felt the 140mm one I had there was a little weedy. Found this 200mm Corsair one on Ebay for a couple of quid.

[​IMG]

Found this nice walnut blank online and it gave me an idea...

[​IMG]

...it would make a nice valve mount, so I scrounged some parts from my mate Adam at PriestAMP and set to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have sprayed my mobo tray bronze to match the exterior bezels. Will need to brace it against the back of the inner compartment but will hopefully do the job nicely.

[​IMG]

Next thing on my to do list is to figure out how to mount the PSU. Toying with the idea of having a couple of right angled walnut runners with a small brass faceplate to screw into the bottom mounting holes on the power supply but not sure how hood that will look. If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them!!

Pliqu3011 likes this.