Scratch Build – In Progress Watercooling a Jetway C7??? -Finished and tested-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 26 Sep 2008.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I can tell you're pumped. You've been throwing smileys like a madman.
    I did a 1 hour stress test with the fan off and the virus scanner running. So passive cooling with a 120mm rad is possible. I'll be back in a bit with some pics.

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Plus, I think he found some new emoticons somewhere... I didn't notice them in other posts, so I'm guessing he found em while looking for cases? :)

Can't wait to see the pics, Cheapskate, and I know there should be some future fun coming soon!

3. Cheapskate

POW!

I said I'd be back ModMinded...:D
    [​IMG]
    -I used Hypnotoad for a test platform. Everybody run!
    [​IMG]
    -When I took everything apart for the water cooling test, I had access to my 'guide'. I did a lot more filing and sanding to the back bracket. Once I got it halfway decent, I worked it over with an emery wheel. It gives the metal a hammered, but very shiny look. I polished it again after that.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut out a foam pad for the backplate.
    [​IMG]
    -Instructions time.:D The pads from the original sink go on first...
    [​IMG]
    -Then it goes on like this. The screws are short, so you have to compress the spring to get the nuts on. I have plastic sheets under each spring here because I don't want to get the blocks scratched up.
    [​IMG]
    -To pull the northbridge sink, You need to pinch the ends and pop them through the hole. (EEL:nono:) -Just being thorough here. I know you could figure this stuff out.
    [​IMG]
    -More being anal... You can pop the sink free with a screwdriver. The sink was on really tight the first time.
    [​IMG]
    -I was right about two of the mounting points being too close. I had to grind off part of one to clear the first. I ran a bit of plastic around the edges to make sure nothing was grounding out. It's close in places.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a better view of that chop job. If you want to use the other washer colors... I'll let you do your own filing.
    [​IMG]
    -Full frontal 'Toad testing! I kinda needed a reservoir, so I added the triple spiral do-hickey. I got some video of everything people have been bugging me to see. Will I ever upload it? -Who knows.

The full temps in fahrenheit. I THINK #2 is the CPU and #3 is the CPU core.
    1st test. cpu fan only. open case:
    ambient:
    harddrive:
    -------------
    2nd fan on NB chip:
    amb
    hd
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a grab of the 2 fan test.
    -------------
    with 80mm intake fan on case:
    amb
    hd
    ------------
    water cooled. 120mm radiator&fan. Liang DCC pump:
    amb:
    hd
    -----------
    water. no fan +40 min av scan:
    amb
    hd
    [​IMG]
    -here's a grab of the passive test run. The first two #s dropped 9 degrees after the AV scan finished.

[​IMG]
    -I already have everything torn down so I can ship the blocks out. I unscrewed the barbs. (Which are not nearly as pretty as the ones I used for test fitting. I need to find out what type they were...) I put some antifreeze in the blocks and sealed them with clear electrical tape. You don't want anything to be able to poke out of the shipping box. I learned you have to pack stuff to survive nuclear war.
    [​IMG]
    -I masked the bottoms up in hopes that they won't darken...
    Then came the packing cling wrap.:naughty:

I used a lot of my sponsorship goodies to test this. I feel the need to drop a thank you in here to Danger Den.:D
    [​IMG]

4. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

one word - FULLY SICK

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

It is actually 2 words and yes I agree 100%

Fantastic work mate. Very nice temps also.

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Wha?! I know how to pop those things off! ;)

Seriously, congrats man on the temps. Your work has paid off. I'd say Mission Accomplished! Only, don't land a jet onto that mobo because there's probably not enough room for it, let alone the BS speech too. :D

7. ModMinded

Pics! Yay! :clap: I knew you'd come through with pics, just didn't think it would be the full on install guide. Looking great! Excellent work and follow through on an outrageous project. :thumb: um ... didn't he say something about a video.

So, can't wait to see how john shows it off!

8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

haha that might be more overkill than my mod:p hell.. it is for sure!

love your waterblocks. the acrylic works is amazing dude:D

regarding the question of a pump being able to pump to much water through a system, i would think that no, it cant pump TO much. yes the water will be in the raddy for a shorter time, but more water will flow through the waterblocks of the system, and lead more heat away from the blocks:)

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My last update here before I make a new thread for the case build. The family was sleeping so I was playing with the case "skeleton". Looking at the pics of the bottom brace got me nervous about clearance so I investigated. It seems the little case has a separate motherboard tray.

[​IMG]

2 rivets on each side and it pops out. This will be handy if I need to whack the MB tray for clearance around the bottom bracket. Heck, if it still doesn't fit I'll open the bottom of the case. The blocks are the focus.

Oh, and I made a little sign for where the PSU was:

[​IMG]

I should get the trophy place a couple blocks away to make a real one. :clap:

10. Cheapskate

Thanks everyone.:D I'm glad no one noticed I forgot to overclock it.
    @EEL - I'm sorry if I use you to warn of possible double meanings. "If I'm er'lected I'll be the nukey-lar ejucashun...thingie.":hehe:

Sorry about the install guide. It's John's first watercooling and I want him to be able to intall in his sleep.

Edit: Oh, Lord...Why would you want THAT staring back at you.:hehe:
    You might need to invest in some 90 degree angle barbs, but it should fit nice. It's not like you need to worry about flow restriction.:D

Last edited: 19 Oct 2008
  11. ModMinded

Personally, I like the install guide, don't apologize!

I like the sign too! Looking forward to the case build!

12. jhanlon303

Overclock yours on air! You said you didn't know what to do with it yet!

Have I mentioned: I HATE 3 BUSINESS DAY SHIPPING!
    Sorry - personal rank over.
    What do you think of black tubing to be ignored while the blocks stand out. Everybody shows off the tubing with UV fluid and UV spiral wrap?

Or - go the whole route and do clear tubing with UV fluid and UV spiral wrap. Tiny case will look like a Tijuana Taxi!

The motherboard has been removed from the case. 4 of the easiest rivets I have EVAR removed. I probably won't get too many props for using Lian-Li screws in the MB tray, but I have a ton from the RocketFish case. Screws probably cost as much as the whole case.
    The front, back and bottom of the case are one folded piece. That's why they added the MB tray. I'm glad.

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

Tijuana Taxi that little bitch, John! :hehe: Seriously, these are Cheaps' blocks. Ya gotta show them off and compliment them with additional loud color-schemes. My $.02 anyways.

14. jhanlon303

Japanese - not Tijuana but way cool!

[​IMG]

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

16. Cheapskate

I feel like someone is picking on me...:hehe: My tastes aren't that wild, are they?
    Use black hose if you need black angle connections anywhere. You can make 600 splices and it will still look like one part.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

na thats optimus prime's blinged up nephew

18. jhanlon303

Seriously dude, this was some front page work! I will have to pull some REAL rabbits out of the hat to make a worthy case.

Thank you.

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

What was the purpose of the anti-freeze?

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

It should reduce the amount of corrosion, Oxidation of the copper. As bare copper will tarnish stupidly quick, making a nice shiney block look crap in matter of hours.