Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Now I have designed systems to protect race horses, or rather their stables. This is my first time working with anything camel related although I am not anticipating having to bolt anything to a hump...

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

New Samsung QE50-QN90C purchased to replace our over 10 year old Sony Bravia 49" TV. Was originally going to save a bit and get the HiSense 55" 7TUK (£649), but seeing them both in the store the HiSense did not impress me at all with its off angle colours (What I could see as Purple was actually blue head on). Only downside was the p[ort locations being on the other side vs the Sony thus requiring a complete re-shuffle of everything to get it all cable managed (took around 2 hours as I had everything cable managed before..).

Now Replaying Ratchet & Clank & Horizon FW in all their Eye searing HDR / VRR glory. :grin::grin::grin:

So tempted to move my (ITX) desktop downstairs permanently but I just know I will end up going down the upgrade spiral when my 4070 won't cut it.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This courtesy car is kinda nice.

[​IMG]

Its a "turbo" too, though that presents the problem that my 911 will never feel "fast" again now I've driven this.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Been ill nearly 2 weeks now, I don't like to bother docs but this isn't shifting
    Surprise 1 - Rang doctors this morning saying I'm not well, explain the stuff, they said come in at 12
    Surprise 2 - See doctor, does their checks, lets me talk and explain it's affecting my ability to human
    Surprise 3 - get antibiotics

[​IMG]

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have a new Youtube subscriber!

That brings my total to... one

Thing is, I haven't posted any videos. WTF?

Isitari, The_Crapman, yuusou and 8 others like this.
  6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Is it you? Are you 'working' the algorithm?

David likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Posted no videos? Perhaps mot on that site you floozy.

Byron C and David like this.
  8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yup, that happens from time to time. 3 for me and I have never uploaded anything...

[​IMG]

David likes this.
  9. David

Thank you for the platinum membership pledge on my OnlyDans page

Isitari, Byron C, adidan and 2 others like this.
  10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My current dream car alongisde a 911 and a GR Yaris

11. David

The panamera is probably the only Porsche I'd seriously consider. Assuming I could afford it, obviously.

12. adidan

You know me, can't get enough of fat feet in flip flops.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Pffff, rookie numbers :p:

[​IMG]

It just goes to show how often people update their subscriptions. I haven't uploaded a "proper" video in three years, I haven't been doing content regularly since 2016 (even then it was only "regular-ish"), and there's still over 1100 people subscribed.

14. David

I'll get you a mirror :p:

adidan likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Success, rescued from the jaws of defeat.

So I ordered this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note - Cult Crew cranks. 19mm. Even the box said it. Just Profile copies, but a nice price. What I got? wasn't that.

[​IMG]

Even though the box said it, literally.

[​IMG]

What I got? was sort of this.

[​IMG]

So hey, lemonade out of lemons, just buy a 22mm bottom bracket set.

[​IMG]

And be happy. The problem was? I got half of one crank set and half of another. So the bolts and tool? well, this is how that went.

[​IMG]

That's supposed to thread in there. It doesn't because it is 3/8 UNF or fine, the same as Profile cranks. I can live without that "ve haz vays". Sadly what I couldn't live without was the actual bolts needed to keep the arms on once pressure does its thing.

[​IMG]

The reality then dawned on me that I may have to send them back. I also know from experience that finding bolts for crank arms is a **** shoot every single time. They use whatever whacked out threads they can to make it almost impossible. Then I got out some ISIS 15mm bolts (no good, no shoulders) and they threaded. Armed with that info? I bought these for £12 for two sets.

[​IMG]

And a miracle happened. It works :D

[​IMG]

I also answered a long burning question I had. How much blingy jet fuel is enough? about that much it seems.

16. adidan

Don't be silly.

I don't have any flip-flops.

David likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Had my grievance appeal yesterday afternoon. From my point of view it went really well. I'd drafted a document where i'd written out my points in full, so when I got upset and emotional, I could fallback to reading from it till I'd regained my composure. While it was being chaired by one of the ops managers, the head of group hr was sat in on the meeting so directed the more HR policy/process points towards her. I'm no body language expert, but she seemed to agree with the points I raised and the deeper we got in the more the eyebrows got raised in a "what the actual has been going on here" kind of way.

Was really difficult getting through it, I don't know if anything will come of it, but feel much better having said my piece.

Isitari, Goatee, adidan and 7 others like this.
  18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've only had to deal with three work place issues in my life, fortunately.

The first time was raising an issue against the Technology Director for, well, just being a complete bell end, bluntly. I spoke to the head of the facility, a spineless man who reminded me of every softly spoken vicar ever, who informed me it was "just the way he was". Anyway, eventually the tw@t pissed off the owner of the (£1billion+) company and got "side promoted" until he was only in charge of two people (having previously been in charge of the entire R&D department), who could ignore him. He left soon after.

The second time was against my old manager at another job, who in addition to just being a bell end, was a workplace bully and didn't actually have the knowledge to be in his position. Turned out several people had made complaints against him. Saw HR, also recorded the issue with the department Chief Engineer. Before it went any further, I left for another job, but in the exit interview, I named him as the main reason I was leaving. Anyway, I had to deal with him indirectly last year and found out that he had been demoted from Chief Engineer to Senior Engineer - still too high of a position in my opinion, but at least it seems his crap caught up with him.

On the other hand, I had an HR issue raised against me by someone who had severe mental issues and made up complete lies. Luckily my manager was exceptionally reasonable and could see it for what it was, so made sure the process was followed enough to satisfy legal requirements without landing me in the sh!t. It was the first time I was exposed to someone that was genuinely "off their trolley" and it was so weird having to defend myself against someone who just fabricated complete lies - I found it extraordinarily stressful as I couldn't get my head around why someone would lie to ruin someone else's life.

Goatee, adidan, The_Crapman and 2 others like this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I went through similar last year, I really wish I'd had written talking points as it gets so emotionally charged! Ihad radical change following mine, and I'm in a massively better place now, I hope you get the same outcome :)

Pete J, adidan and The_Crapman like this.
  20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I've only had proper problems with a particular person once before, and that's because they were lazy as hell. She was part time, doing about 5.5 hours a day, but actual working time would be more like 0.55.

This was the worst most calculated thing I could never have imagined, to the point where she put the company at risk and caused herself major problems, just to make me or other colleagues look bad for her own entertainment, or perhaps to take the eyeballs off her own shortcomings. Generally not like throughout the business, across basically all departments. My manager, whilst a good guy with good intentions, was woefully lacking in actual management, allowed things to continue for months after I had formally reported it. HR were no better either really, as I made them aware of the problem just a few weeks later.

Yeh I had a pretty beefy document to not only use to dictate proceedings, but so they had a copy and there were no doubts or possible misconceptions of my claims. Added a slightly dramatic point of pulling out the 40 pages of evidence previously submitted, to challenge the conclusion from the initial hearing that there was no evidence. That didn't feel as good as I thought it would, probably not needed, but more than demonstrated the point that the prior investigation was awful to the point of being completely wrong. But this actually helped me in that it evidenced that the training/knowledge of and application of their own policies was woefully inadequate. 2 department managers and the HR manager completely ignoring or not understanding the policies.

Having been fired and never wishing to return the only outcome for me is the possibility of a goodbye cheque, but I have no doubt that there will be some major pimp slaps handed out.

Isitari, IanW, Pete J and 3 others like this.