Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nah I mean something deeper like links and so on. Maybe I am superstitious then !

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

My Adipower shoes just sold for £83 on Ebay - that's a solid £30 more than I put them up for here and on Gumtree!

Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Whoop - the AVR that was thought to have a known issue in fact does not, and the issue only affects the T758v3, and it's sitting in my media room right now waiting to be racked and stacked.

4. Vault-Tec

Man, luck must be in the air or something !

OK, so I think I posted this before, right?

OK so basically the bike sounded like a roller coaster. I tried in vain to figure it out, then got a new wheel built and put the bike back onto full gearing instead of micro gearing. That went well, bike is superb (the alu and carbon and Ti one). OK so the wheel came off and I used it to build another "street" bike which is more for throwing around etc rather than racing.

[​IMG]

OK micro gearing on a bike designed to use it. So what can possibly go wrong? well, when I went out and rode on it two days ago it sounded exactly the friggin' same as the last bike. I spent two days obsessively trying to work it out to no avail. It still went clacka lacka.

You can hear it popping and spitting there, and that is going backward. I have a friend arriving from Manc in 6 days, I can't let him ride like that. Every one bloody stares at you. So just buy a new cog, right? it's only a small metal thing.

[​IMG]

I think not ! pfft *scoffs*. Do you know what really kicked me in the guts? I paid £50 for the entire frigging wheel. Surely something can be done? I took it all apart again, literally ripped it out of the wheel and when I looked at it I realised something was amiss. It doesn't look anything like the "driver" in the pic. It has no C clamp to hold in the triple bearings, and the lock nut was different too. Then I realised all of the teeth on it are offset (to hold the chain down) and on the end of the teeth were these little rounded parts that keep the chain literally glued onto the driver. Only on this driver they were not rounded any more, and you could literally get your fingernail onto them.

So I took it into the kitchen and basically refaced all of the teeth with a smoother profile and BINGO. Silent riding.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

We're having the 8x12 shed from next door :rock:

Guest-23315, MLyons and Arboreal like this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice one, we have an 8x12' shed in the garden and it's been invaluable - the staging for gardening has been unused, but it's been great for garden tools, bikes and stuff.
    Enjoy!

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Just bagged a day's overtime on Sunday - missus has an all-day rehearsal anyways, work has decent internet (and a TV license) for me to stream the F1 coverage, good excuse to get on the bike and cover a few extra miles on what should be a good day for the weather.

The time-and-a-half pay ain't bad, either!

Byron C likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Don't make a habit of doing too much overtime though. As my own experience of the last day shows, you make mistakes when you're overworked :thumb:

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

My phone is on it’s way. Proper in it’s way! The courier actually got the package and it’s scheduled to be delivered at the inlaws place tomorrow afternoon! Guess who’s popping by for biscuits and tea!

MLyons likes this.
  10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Throwing the gauntlet at my new AVR. This amp is a beast. It really calls into question some extremely optimistic ratings of the vast majority of the market. This 80wpc T777v3 manhandles my fronts in a way my old "165wpc" Denon could never dream of.

Best AV upgrade I've made in 10 years (since I got a sub the size of a Volkswagen)

11. Sajuuk

Sajuuk Outsider who isn't welcome.

I had a sudden realisation regarding battery & voltage issues, regarding my r/c model transmitter:

It's designed to use 4x AA batteries- standard alkalines / non-rechargeables being 1.5v each, for a total of 6v. Rechargeables are 1.2v, giving a total of 4.8v; go figure that the transmitter starts screaming about low voltage after a short period of time even with fully charged batteries ( using alkalines gets expensive very quickly since the transmitter is power hungry ). Why on earth has it taken me a couple decades or more to realise I can just rig up a holder for 5x AA rechargeable cells to get a total of 6v, thus negating the downside of using said rechargeables ( lower voltage ) & retaining all the advantages ( cheaper in the long run ). I'm such a derp- time to order up a 5x AA battery holder and do some soldering...

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Sitting in the dark next to an open window with a cold drink listening to the rain and thunder and watching the lightning

Gotta love thst fresh storm smell

MLyons likes this.
  13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Seems to have missed us yet again here in west Nottingham. Always seems to happen... Had a small bit of rain but that was about it. Forecast said thunder at about 6 this evening, still waiting.

14. Vault-Tec

We had some rain here last night for about 20 mins (not terribly heavy) and a couple of lightning bolts and some thunder. Nothing quite like being in the USA for that. Shame, as I love going out and getting drenched.

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Flooding all over brummie land. Roads getting closed all over the place.

16. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Inspired by BentAnat, as well as a video about rebuilding guitars and wanting to do something with my original guitar, today I finished the job I started in January.

https://imgur.com/a/ylDl221

Quietly pleased with my handiwork there.
    Plays nice too :)

BentAnat likes this.
  17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Should be my final visit to the doctors about my hearing today

Vault-Tec likes this.
  18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Finished in Nitro?
    Where on earth can you still get that (and do they export internationally)?

19. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Aye, nitro base, colour and gloss clear.
    Got it from http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk They ship world wide, but I don't know if they have restrictions on shipping the nitro paints....

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Manchester Guitar Tech also sell nitro lacquer; https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/

I've used it a few times with no problems - Although I've not tried his 'classic' colours for accuracy.