1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux What is this Linux thing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glider, 27 Jul 2006.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yes, that's it... Microsoft Internet Explorer is running on Linux (through Wine). I need it for accessing some dumbass school stuff :)

Oh yeah, it was an easter egg

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Top distros according to distrowatch as of 2007-04-25:
    (Link)

3. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

A small error:
    GNOME, KDE, and Xfce aren't window managers. They are desktop environments which use Metacity, Kwin, and Xfwm, respectively, as their window managers.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I know, it was put in on purpose actually, just to keep it simple. It would become much more complex if I had to make a further subdivision for the desktop environments. Also the goal of this was to give a basic idea, spark interest...

5. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

I have to ask this.....where is the satifaction in using Linux? I have tried a couple of (distros?) like Ubuntu which is supposed to be the easiest to use and after about 4 weeks of complete and utter hell, I wiped it from my system to never return. I don't understand what it can possibly offer other than several trips to the pharmacy for headache medicine.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i personally love it partly because i like the minimilistic view of fluxbox, at first i enjoyed just mucking around in terminal to see what i could do and am now hooked on it and i simply like the whole open souce concept. but i never really had any major hardware support issues (or at least ones a care about ie the intergrated webcam on my laptop)

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, for me the satisfaction in Linux comes from the fact that it's 100% adaptable to your needs. Certainly Gentoo fits this perfectly. If there's something I don't use, I simply leave it out. USE flags Cheesecake! :D

Also, the whole OSS way of thinking is the future IMHO. And why invest money into an OS if a free one offers the same? (Note, I'm not a gamer!)

I did run into unsupported hardware (curse you Texas Instruments!) but nothing I can't live without. Linux is a choice, and it has it's ups and downs... But, I'll guarantee you, once you get to know how things work, you'll never want to go back. The freedom that Linux offers opposed to Windows is just astonishing.

But, I wonder, what made your trip to Linux land such a Hell SPQQKY?

8. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

typing all those commands only to find it didn't work, then trying all the suggestions to make it work, and still nothing. Trying to get graphics drivers to work so I have more control of resolution (I could NEVER get to my monitors native 1680x1050).

I was using Edgy Eft I believe (6.10 or 6.01?). I'd be willing to try Ubuntu again (feisty fawn) if you'd be willing to help a fella out....but I have heard nightmares of installing Ubuntu after Vista was installed and I don't wanna end up with a fubar Vista install. I'm dual booting with XP but the XP install is minimal at best with only a couple of benchmarks and one or two games on it, so I could whipe that out and put Ubuntu on that partion.

How much headache would I be in for?

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Commandline isn't needed in Ubuntu, it just speeds things up if you know what you are doing. Don't take the plunge on the deep end and start with CLI if you aren't comfortable with it. And if Ubuntu isn't your cookie (good boy ;)) you could try SuSe or even Fedora...

I allways want to help out someone that's unsure about Linux. I never used Vista, and not planning on it, but I don't think it will be that different to dual boot...

10. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Nah, tried SuSe first and hated it, at least I had some success with Ubuntu. I am about done DLing Feisty Fawn and did a little research on dual booting with Vista already installed. I'll give it another shot today (nothing better to do). Look for post by me with a title something like "F#@k $h1t, blah blah blah" ...... LOL.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I was running Ubuntu on my PS3 and it was simplicity itself, its probably the first distro I have used where it worked right off the bat with all my hardware, very impressive, adding packages was a breeze too.

I now have a gentoo install as I am trying to get a fully usable Destop environment and apps in around 100Mb (only 200Mb is available on a PS3) what a chore, compiling each package, its looking good but I and I really hope it yields the results I am looking for because at the moment I am starting to waver due to the time involved as ubuntu wasn't that bad in the first place, it was pretty snappy on the PS3 despite the hardware limitations.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Gentoo is a special distro. I use it myself on my main PC, and I can't live without it anymore. For servers on the other hand Debian is the only wise option ;)

13. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

LOL, well I guess I don't have to worry. I put the disk in and boot from it, select Start or Install and it shows it loading the Linux kernel and then my screen goes blank and I lose video signal and then nothing, it just sits there.

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Try booting with some parameters, like noapci... Press F2-F5 or something like it for them...

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Last edited: 19 Jul 2007
  16. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

No dice. I burned two more disks with slow burn speeds on Sony and Ridata media and no matter what I try, it just goes blank when I try to start or install. I've got two different versions DLing now, LTS version and 32 bit version. We'll see if I have better luck with those.

17. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Okay, must've been a bad download, I've got 7.04 32-bit installed now.

My first question is this......I really need to get my resolution to my monitors native resolution or I won't be able to continue playing with this OS or it will drive me insane. What do I need to do? Right now I can only go as high as 1024x768, I need 1680x1050. Thanks.

18. Glider

Glider /dev/null

19. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

nvidia geforce 8600gts. I try to follow the instructions on the help page, but when I go to preferences where it says to uncheck"CD rom with ubuntu 7.04", there is no such option.
    I'm gonna boot to Vista for a while, my eyes are already starting to bend.

20. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It's all done CLI in that guide... So I don't understand what you need to uncheck...

Just exit X by doing
    Code:
    ctrl+alt+F1
    sudo su
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Then,
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Search for the resolution line, alter it, save and exit

And restart XJust exit X by doing
    Code: