1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux What is this Linux thing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glider, 27 Jul 2006.

1. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

???????????????????

I don't have a clue as to anything you just posted....LOL.

EDIT: You see, it's crap like this.............
    "If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
    * the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
    * the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
    * the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist
    If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:
    rm -f /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed"

.....that has kept me from using Linux and I already have a feeling I'm done with it. All this trouble for something that I cannot see offers me anything that Windows can't.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2007
  2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Linux is a choice... and with a choice comes consequences... I think following guides like those is dead easy... They explain every step and every click... But that's a personal thing...

You should stick to Windows I guess...

3. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

There are no drivers available to support my card under linux it would appear, it's too new.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

nvidia has decent Linux support tough... ATI has next to none

5. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

After installing Envy, I got the drivers installed, but it still won't let me change to any resolution above 1024 and it dropped my refresh rate to 50hz. My eyes are bleeding now.

EDIT: Alas my monitor is at native resolution. I can now begin to comfortably get familiar with this OS. I may have some questions down the road, but I'll make a new thread when I do. Thanks all for your help.

EDIT # 2 : Update manager popped up and so I installed the updates, now I cannot boot to Ubuntu, I just get garbled text I cannot read. Here comes those "F&@k, $h17, d@mn1t to all 4e11!!!!"

Last edited: 20 Jul 2007
  6. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

So I totally forgot that you have to reinstall drivers for the graphics card after updating the kernel. Luckily it was easy to fix with Envy installed. On second reboot I was able to read the error report, then it was simple to just type in the text only terminal envy -t. This let me first uninstall the nvidia drivers, then reinstall them and I was back in business. After a couple of shaky installs of needed codecs (thanks Ubuntu forums) for video playback and mp3 conversion, I am able to do what I originally wanted Linux for, multimedia. I'll stick with my Vista install for games (don't do much of it anyway until some of the new dx10 games are out), but it was actually a fun learning experience this time around.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Glad it starts to turn out for you, see, Linux isn't that Evil ;)

8. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Nice guide, I might turn to the penguin some day...

Where is VLC ??

9. Blind was Mingson

Blind was Mingson What's a Dremel?

learn to md5, nub.

You might wanna try sabayon if you have a new computer. No use having linux without beryl.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ubuntu now comes with Beryl as standard. It's not enabled by default as some GFX cards don't like it. *cough*ATI*cough

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:confused: I tried Beryl in Mepis on an ATI AIW 9600 - runs smooth :rock:

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yes, but to game as well requires ATi's proprietary driver "fglrx".
    To use fglrx & Beryl together requires switching to the (extremely flaky) XGL video layer as fglrx doesn't have the required "Composite extension"
    At least that was the situation I faced before my 9600XT died.

Which is why I'm saving my pennies for a shiny 8800GTS before reactivating Beryl.

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Well, that would explain it. I don't use Linux for games so I don't face that problem. :D

14. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Why would I need beryl? I don't game with linux nor do I want much flashy stuff going on.
    Suddenly, I can't see my ntfs drives any more. I had them mounted and used ntfs -config to enable writing, everything was fine but after a reboot I can no longer see them.

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It's exactly this attitude that makes Linux seem elite...

Sabayon is Gentoo based. Alltought it takes care of the install it's still Gentoo based.

Beryl on the other hand is nice and flashy for 10 minutes, and then it's a pain in the butt slowing things down...

16. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Thanks Glider.......I know what md5 is too, the disk was supposedly fine. I redownloaded it and guess what, the second DL worked, but I've been using 32-bit just fine. As I posted above, don't need the flashy crap offered by beryl, it offers no functionality for me. Thanks for registering and making your first post a bash at me, you're the one acting like a nub....n00b, whatever....punk.
    And my above problem was simple......
    The last time I was in Winblows, explorer hung like a mofo, so I just hit the reset button. Because it wasn't a clean shutdown, Linux was smart enough not to mount the drives and all I had to do was go back to winblows and make sure it shut down cleanly.

17. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i disagree, no use in having beryl

18. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Nice guide considering trying out Linux soon on a spare PC I got knocking about and looks like evetrything I need to get cracking.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Actually, there is ONE use for Beryl/Compiz/whatever it's called this week:-

Shutting up the Vista fanbois talking about their Aero Glass interface! :D

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

yeah but no real use for it