1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Which Antivirus do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by short1uk, 20 Sep 2011.

1. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Eset. Low overhead, fast, efficient and very configurable. It consistently does well in the AV comparison tests.
    The polar opposite of McAfee, which is what my family had previously used.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

MSE on all 6 including the laptop of my computers now used to us AVG.

3. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

Since I was part of a Symantec broadband study back in the year 2000 I have always used Norton Internet Security.

However this all changed last year when I decided I didn't appreciate paying £30 (always waited for half price versions at PC World) for a years "protection" and slow-down of my machines. Instead I opted for Microsoft Security Essientials and what a great decision that was. Fast and runs in the background with no annoying pop-ups like others.

My wife used to swear by AVG Free even when I used Norton, but after seeing MSE running and being non-intrusive on my desktop / laptop opted to transfer her faith over to MSE for her desktop too.

So yes we'd both recommend MSE.

4. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Avast free edition here, used for years, never had a problem

5. Sarneus

Sarneus What's a Dremel?

I did exactly the same, and I'm glad I did, Avast! is working perfectly and never had problems.

6. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

That's one thing I love about MSSE no annoying info pops up and no Avast sounds

VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!

omg the speakers where on full blast I nearly browned my pants there

7. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

You can turn the loud robot voice off, yeah its nearly made me crap my pants on several occasions!

8. Sarneus

Sarneus What's a Dremel?

AHAHAH, I just turned all sounds off from Avast

9. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

i use avg just because it's free, on my parents computer i use norton or McAffe just depends what's cheaper when it comes to renewal time.

10. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

used to used AVG but had problems with it so I now use the mircosoft AV which I find is excellent and free :)

11. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Mcafee for me, got a 3 user 1yr for £6 from ebuyer, and they sent me two disks, so 6 users aha

12. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

over the years i have had many virus scanners.

I started of with McAfee asit came with the PC i was bought from PC world - let loads of viruses through even the Chernobyl virus - Conclusion McAfee BINNED

then i bought a copy of norton antivirus - worked well for the first year and after that viruses let through left right and centre - Conclusion Nortan BINNED

Got bought another new pc then friends recomended AVG had that for about 1 - 2 years and the same..... Virus city - Conclusion AVG BINNED

then Avast and so far the best seemed to catch viruses before they harmed anything serious happened , did let 1 or 2 through but nothing that couldn't be put in the vault for deletion - Conclusion best so far

the i bought a new computer and i bought a disc which conatined windows live esentials and MSE (i think it was MSE) and just after the first year i got a message from microsoft saying that they were not doing updates anymore or something like that - cant remember exactly - Conclusion abuot the same as avast but about not being able to use the security software FFS!

then went back to Avast with that pc and when i upgraded parts to it and the last pc i had which me and my brother in law built, same as before - Conclusion best so far

then i got a new Broadband provider (virgin media - 30mb line) and you get a security package with them and so far i can say I am impressed with it it's like avast but ithasn't let anything through yet - Conclusion as good as Avast

Nowthat i have my current rig I am still using the virgin media security package and so far so good

sorry for long description but hope this helps

13. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

This seems to be a controversial view on bit tech, but I really like Norton. They recently changed Norton and now it's very sleek; all the standard comments about it being a huge memory hog and a slow down, I don't agree with at all. I've never been infected and I just checked how much memory Norton is using in the background while I surf: 11MB. I don't think comments about memory usage of "OMGZZZ 200MB!" are as relevant nowadays, especially on this forum where we have powerful rigs, with 4,6,8,16 or even those minted few with 24GB of RAM.

Don't give Norton so much hate guys ;)

14. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Well Norton problem is there are equally good free alternatives.

15. vince450

vince450 What's a Dremel?

I use MSE. Nice and lightweight. I've never had any trouble with it. It got recommended to me on these forums.

16. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

yeah, also MSE. I used to run without anything, but decided to change to MSE, no real change there, but somewhat more easygoing than without. On my Ubuntu machine, no AV is installed, didn't really felt the need for it...

17. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

MSE :thumbs:

18. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

MSE: Fairly unobtrusive and small memory footprint.

19. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

MSE, works well and it's free, what more do you want!

20. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

Norton here, it' s had much better reviews the last year or two, and the newer interface is far better. However, it is not cheap, I'll give you that. I might try one of the others on my new build when I get it done.