1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Which Antivirus do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by short1uk, 20 Sep 2011.

1. justyn07

justyn07 What's a Dremel?

mse for me

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Might give mse a try on a few machines at home then as i'd never really given it a shot.

Using Bitdefender at the moment and it blocks plenty so seems to be doing its job.

3. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

I have tried in the past several different opnes including ZoneAlarm, AVG, NOD32 and Kaspersky. What I use now I find the easiest and the best...I use it as a firewall and antivirus...I don't use antivirus only applications anymore.

Comodo Internet security

Has firewall and anti-malware as well as antivirus.

Its free, very good features and not resource intensive.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2011
  4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I use Avast.
    1) I have it on my home server which intern monitors all the other pc's on the network so I can see who's PC has detected a virus and kick off a scan on that machine which out having to visit it.

2) I like the real time scans it dose on each webpage you load, email that comes into your mail box and files being transferd over the LAN.

Basically it just works and the price is pretty good for what you get.
    And I have yet seen a virus on my network so far.

8 PC's and 1 WHS with each PC real time scanning all traffic - pretty win tbh.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Same here.

6. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

We have Microsoft SE installed on all of the machines at work. I personally use Kapersky Internet Security. It's only a tenner and has been very good for me thus far :).

7. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

anything above 90% detection rate would be fine for most people

i wouldn't mind betting that the stuff not being detected, are no longer in the wild, and have been removed from the signature files to streamline the products

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

10. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Why doesn't the AV compare site have comodo benchmarked? WOuld really be quite cool to be honest...dunno why I'm interested, suppose I'm just curious, but I personally have had no problems at all with Comodo, in fact I have been most impressed, and every person I have recommended comodo to has come back smiling and free from problems.

ps. remember its a firewall and an AV built together, as well as anti-malware. IMO its awesome and I can;t ask for anything better. It also is the most non-resource hogger EVER, and believe you me I have tried using a TON of different AV and firewalls.

11. User-sam

User-sam When in doubt, follow your nose.

MSE Hands down!

12. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Because they only test products with the vendors' agreeement (see FAQ 24 on page 22 of their Methodology PDF). So it may be more relevant to ask Commodo why they aren't agreeing to participate in such testing.

This isn't limited to AV Comparatives either - AV-Test's Jul-Aug 2011 reports exclude Commodo also. They do include MSE though - it scored 97% sample detection but only 68% with 0-day attacks, resulting in a poor protection rating (2.5 out of 5).

VirusBulletin have tested Commodo (it failed their VB100 test 3 times due to false positives) and according to their latest comparatives, it seems to be about mid-field in performance (about 85% reactive detection, 80% proactive). MSE doesn't do great here either (80% reactive, about 70% proactive).
    Commodo scored first place in Matousec's Proactive Security Challenge (this doesn't test malware detection, but the ability of security software to resist leaktests, process termination and other forms of interference) but there are a few other contenders there that come very close.

Putting together a "best of breed" setup (top scanner from the likes of AV Comparatives) along with the top proactive performer and coupling that with "safe hex" (including careful selection of alternative software for Internet access and minimising/eliminating use of unreliable vendors like Adobe) is the best path to a secure system.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2011
  13. Another_level

Another_level What's a Dremel?

Avira - hasn't slowed my system as much as Avast & AVG. Seems to get consistent high scores in A-V tests.