1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Projector, update: DEC 12 - 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 26 Apr 2006.

1. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

A case the same size as this, but a bit taller, that stacked with the projector would be so sexy :eek:

Nice plexi collection, can i have the dome? ;)

2. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Can't wait to see if this will actually work.....But a damn fine job so far.

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Time for a quick little update. This shows how the light-lock was built. This thing will be placed on the inside of the 120mm fan. It will let air from the fan through but will stop the light from the lamp to pass out of the case.

[​IMG]

The fins are painted black to minimize the reflection compared to unpainted ALU. I used the same heat resistant engine paint as on all other black painted things so far.
    [​IMG]
    (click to zoom)

small plexi spacers
    [​IMG]
    (click to zoom)

The small plexi spacers are attached to the ALU bars using Super Glue.
    [​IMG]
    (click to zoom)

[​IMG]
    (click to zoom)

[​IMG]
    (click to zoom)

[​IMG]
    (click to zoom)

[​IMG]
    (click to zoom)

thats it for today... enjoy
    /GNU

4. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

You are the king of modders, did you canabalise parts from serveral projectors or other parts, e.g. a toaster power transistor LoL... How many piece of hardware ahve you used other than another old projector, and are there any surprises in their, like a toaster mentioned above!

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I'm from ******* Åmål... but will move to Gbg soon...yor from hisingen i see but is that hisingen in gbg?

HEHE..that was actually my thought at the begining, but that way ... you can't see the displays and stuff on it while watching movies because it will be behind you. And thene there is the heat generated... but it would be nice indeed.. we'll se what happens. :D .
    Trust me .. you dont want that dome.. its covered with scratch as someone have used it as a Bowl.

hahaha LOL ....no tosters yet. I haven't canabalised any other projector for parts either. All lenses and electronics have been bought new, but there is a bunch of other weard stuff I have used.

First is the lampholder that I made out of an old PSU.

Then there is the black plexi front that I made out of a trashed commercial stand for lipstick :) No lipsticks left unfortunately... :blush: :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Then there is this old writer that i smashed for parts. From this I got a lot of metallsticks, two of them I am currently cutting in to pieces to use as buttons. First i also thought of using the button electronics from the writer combined with some rubberparts from an old keyboard, but i decided to make my own buttons.
    [​IMG]

There is also some larger 13mm plexi pieces ,that i will use on the zoom mecanism. It comes from the cashregister booth in a food store.
    Thats about it so far. No surprises yet :)

/GNU

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

That must be the sexiest (DIY) projector I've ever seen. 'uck the plastic!

I also love the way you recycle parts :) I do just the same.. Last found was 15kg's of acryl.

And oh about the mounting screws.. IMO you should really try to keep the whole sidepanel stealth. I'd mount everything to the base plate.

7. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

THX a lot .... :thumb: ... I also wanted to keep the sidepanel as stealth as possible. But realised i needed some screws on the side to make it all safe. I thought of using an enormous amount of superglue on the front plexi part to attach it to the front ALU "frame" and then attach everything on that plexi and bottom plate, but i relised that it was a bit to risky since the lamp psu weight a lot. I will use 3 screws on each side. The screws on the picture you see is not the one I will be using.. I will be using homemade stealth screws :) you will see next uppdate probably.

/GNU

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Time for some pictures of the 7" TFT and the TFT holder.
    The native resolution is 800x480 but it is able to handle 1280x1024 interpolated. That means that the pixels are 800x480 but compared to normal TFT displays you can use a resolution higer than that. With hig resolutions like 1280x1024 you get a slight blur , but it works great with 1024x768. All the text on a web browser is readable.

Further data:
    - PAL/NTSC standard (SECAM is not supported)
    - 400 nits translucences !
    - 200:1 contrast !
    - 30 ms response time !
    - 12 V input - 1000 mA
    - Widescreen format
    - over OnScreen display adjustable (AV1/2 and VGA)

The response time is claimed to be 30 ms. That normaly means a slight ghosting but I can't see any ghosting what so ever. Ben playing Counter-strike source , car games , and watched Fast motion action movies and I can't se any noticable ghosting. Hard to see any differense compared to my BENQ-FP567s with 16ms.

More pictures of the display in action

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is a closeup pic of the startmeny corner and the winamp playlist. The resolution is 1024x768. No comments on the music please.....i know :worried: zoom in on the pic to se the pixels more clearly.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is also a 1024x768 resolution picture. Here you can clearly se the pixelsize. Note!! that the rounded edges is only the front plastic of the TFT display.. When these are removed the whole edge will be vissible.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

..the same picture and resolution on my 15" tft BENQ-FP567s.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is the controller card for the TFT.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

..and this is the TFT display itself. As you can see it is very thin, and you have to handle it with care to not damage those very thin brown "cables". Above the display you can see the mounting bracket that the tft was attached to.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The mounting bracket again, but i need to moddify it a little bit to be abble to create my TFT holder.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Made 1 cut with the dremel and bendt a little piece of the frame.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This was made in each corner and holes where drilled.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

..attached to the mainframe and marking out where to cut.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here you can se the controllercard supports. One for the larger one and one for the smaller. It is made out of some of the plexi I got for free. These parts are from document holder so I didn't need do create the bends by myself. was just lucky :D
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

a little bonus... here is the backlight CCFL. You bet I got some ideas for this in my future projects.... :naughty: :naughty:
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Bzzzzzoooomm....bzzzooom....almost makes me feel like Luke. :p
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

/GNU

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sweet.

10. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

luke i AM your father.
    NOOO

XD nice job :thumb:

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

nice job man, looking interesting, having a proejctor is such a cool idea :)

12. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

O_O coool is that a CCFL w/o the tube and bent into that shape?

13. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Wow.. great job, want to see more :)

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yes it is a CCFL , but i didnt make the bend ....it is prebendt like that. It looks exactly like the simmilar ones on this pic. Just to show how it looks like in daylight....The pic and ccfl's are not mine, just a pic I found on the net

[​IMG]

..very thin and fragile.
    I hope I manage to save it so I can use it in my planed HTPC case :)

/GNU

Last edited: 26 Jun 2006
  15. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Cool project you got here gnu =)
    where did you get that ccfl? couldnt find any reseller to those in sweden.. they would fit very good in my mod =) and to they come in other colors?
    good luck with your project =)

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

That ccfl is frome the backlight of my 7" TFT display im using for my projector. The backlight won't be needed so thats why I stripped it down and took the ccfl out. The image with all the other diferent shaped ccfl's is just to show how it looks like in daylight....its just a pic I found on the net. Dont know of any reseller or in sweden or if they come in different colors. take a look at OSRAM.se Thay have all kinds of light sources.

/GNU

17. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Looking better and better the CCFL tubes make a great touch and look awesome, especially in a darkened room... great mod and another good post with good quality pictures...

18. misterkholl

misterkholl modMode:on

wow! it looks great!! very nice work on aluminum! i need to follow this thread! :thumb:

19. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. :thumb:

Ofcourse you can use the pic... I am no good at german, but I think I manage to figure out its a computer case you are building with a Alu frame and you whant smooth corners?´

I will start sorting out more update pics this evening, to bad it takes forever to resize them all and put them on the net.
    BTW.Anyone know of a way or program to resize more than 1 pic at a time??

Take care

/GNU