1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Projector, update: DEC 12 - 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 26 Apr 2006.

1. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Microsoft offers a tool called 'Picture resizer' or 'Image resizer' (im not sure. You can find it in Microsofts powertool section. Im not sure but i believe to remember that ists possible to resize mor pictures a time by marking them and then clicking right.

Another way is to open all the pictures in Adobe Photoshop and to resize them there.

I've prepared a tiny video (~4MB; 2:30 minutes) where i show how you can resize a lot of photos due to automation. You need DivX 5 to watch it. Ive rendered it without sound so don't worry :D

http://www.abbacab.de/programme/bittech_ps_gnu.zip

Thanks for permission to use your pic...

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

The microsoft resizer powertool is great. You simply select the pics you want resized, then you right click and select resize images. Then you set it to 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, or a custom size.

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Claas M thx a lot for that Video tutorial..really great. Will have to give the automation tool a try.. Also thanks for the tip about microsoft resizer powertool. It was really great and it can't be much easier. I wish I knew about that 160 pictures ago :wallbash:

/GNU

4. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Ill coment on your music taste.

Frank Sinatra is awsome. Good music and timeless.

Good job on the projector.

Ive got a lcd project too btw, its not a home brew but it cost me nothing. I wanted to build a home brew one but no reason to do it now unless I want an uber high res projector with realy good refresh rates.

5. Overboardkiller

Overboardkiller What's a Dremel?

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

HEHE was just waiting for the comments on my music taste..Franky is good as "bakground music". :rock:
    I actually listen to all types of music.. at the moment there is Manson in the headphones.

thanks.. want more pics?? okay.

These pictures show how the tft is mounted and how the keystone device will work. Keystone allows you to place the projector on a table or by the celing without getting distorted images. To make this possible you simply tilt the front fresnel lens up or down and the image projected will also be tilted. There is also Digital keystone but that means you tilt the image with software and therefore loose a lot of resolution. If you have an Nvida graphic card you can use Nvidias keystone program.

The TFT panel and the controller cards are mounted and you can see through the panel.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

These long M3 screws will hold the display in place and the back fresnel lens too.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The TFT is positioned in the original metall frame and then the original black plastic frame (vissible in pic#8 in post #48) is attached on top and clamped down with a small piece of plexi, and underneath that plexi is a small piece of soft foam to prevent the display from being damaged.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is my keystone mechanism. One on each side. These will hold the Front fresnel lens and allow me to tilt it.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

PAINT... :rock: .... The dark grey screw is a M3 screw that is not threaded all the way up to the the "hat". An M3 nut (light grey) is screwed on to the far edge of the threads and since there are no more threads it will stop. It leaves a small gap to the bottom L-bar that allows the dark grey screw to turn around freely. The top L-bar is secured tightly to the dark grey screw using a second M3 nut (light grey)
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

To be able to lock the lense in different positions I bent this M3 screw to a 90 degree angle and drilled a hole that I threaded to M3 size.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

And..voila.. This works as a lever...turning it, it will press the top L-bar and it will stay in the desired position.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

That's it for today. I will quit my job tomorrow and then I have 6 weeks of modding time. I hope to get this thing done in 2 weeks...and maybe start my new project after that.

/GNU

Last edited: 29 Jun 2006
  7. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Are u sure the 'holder' won't twist?

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yes I'm shure... because there is not much force needed to lock the holder. It's actually enough if the lever is only dropped down. ´

/GNU

9. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

where do you work since you are quitting to work on your nice project?

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I work with animals...cute little animals like these..
    [​IMG]

But at my work they look more like this.

[​IMG]

I work in the meat section of a supermarket :D
    Or maybe I should say ,worked, as today was my last day. They celebrated that by covering my entire bike with toilet paper and old fish and throwing it in a steel cage out in the sun to "Dry". And then sprayed me with water.......oh good I will miss my work..... :worried:NOT

*hope you dont get disgusted by that pic..couldn't find any nicer pic of it :)

/GNU

Last edited: 30 Jun 2006
  11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i liked the post, i found it funny!

12. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

MMmm makes me hungry :D

13. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

hm..why have you quittet or isn't it as difficult to find anotherone than in germany?

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yes,It is very difficult to get a new job in swe...atleast where i live. But I will begin university (hopefully) and study to design engineer in 6-7 weeks. And I thought I needed some vacation before the school starts :hip:

/GNU

15. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Join the club about working in a supermarket. I worked in a supermarket untill my last year of high school and then quit. I worked in the dairy and frozen section for a looong time. And before that I worked in the beverage isle where I would carry load and loads of soda and other crap all day.

Im glad im out of that hell hole.

BTW: your post made me hungry too. I love BBQ.

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

It's good that you have keystone correction in the lenses but it looks like you only have up/down correction, not left/right. Is there an easy way to incorporate that (I can think of a way by pivoting it on one corner and advustable mounting the top and bottom on the other end of the frame) or do you not think it neccessary?

17. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Havent read this much but constructacon jolted a memory of a frame i sam that gave 360 degree adjustment on all plains.
    If you dont get what i mena im on about the gryroscope frame used for desktop toys and pilot/astronaught training.
    Wouldn't a similar thing come in hady for lens adjustment?

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

ooo I totaly agree...a hell hole is what it is. Glad you made it out of there too. The worst part of the work in the supermarket I remember was in the bakeoff section. Had to regullary run to the -30 C deg freezer, pic up cold and heavy boxes and run back to the +200 C deg owen. Just because some fat old lady wanted a cupcake. And then hear her complain about taking to long. GAAAAAA ..... Taste THIS:duh:

Back to the keystone... I choosed not to include left/right adjustment. Mainly because I dont think I will need it. It might be usefull to have left/right keystone if you intend to move the projector around between different locations alot. But in my case it will probably be spending most of its time on a shelf infront of the projection screen. I might add it later if it turns out that i need it. And I would have done as you sugest. A gyroscope type of mechanism. Basically a l__l - shape with one "spinpoint" on the bottom and one on each tip. Was that how you meant too Constructacon??

I am currently working on the button mechanism and the zoom mechanism. A pain in the a*s to get it to work.

/GNU

Last edited: 6 Jul 2006
  19. Manne

Manne What's a Dremel?

Have you looked at lumenlab side and allinbox? there you maybe get some idea how to slide your lins.

20. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I was thinking of something much less elegant that that. That's a much better idea than what I was thinking of. As you said though you don't intent to move it much so you probably won't need it.

If it was me I'd include it now while the thing's apart. But it's not me, so meh.