1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Will you be buying a GTX 480?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moyo2k, 27 Mar 2010.

?

Will you be buying the GTX480?

Poll closed 6 Apr 2010.
  1. Yes

4.2%
  2. Yes, if the future drivers boost the performance

4.7%
  3. No, it's too expensive/hot/power hungry

33.8%
  4. No, I've been waiting for Fermi and now I'll buy a 5870

21.1%
  5. No, I'll stick with my old card for a while yet

36.2%
  1. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I'll be sticking with my GTX275 and 9800GX2 for a while longer. They do everything I need at this point (no OpenGL 4 for me just yet) so there's no incentive to upgrade.

If I were looking for a new GPU, I'd be sorely torn, however. I need CUDA, good OpenGL and OpenCL support as well as GPU PhysX for my work, which are all areas where nVidia rules and AMD frequently stumbles or just plain face plants. I would probably go for a GTX285 and wait for the second generation Fermi hardware.

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i keep reading that ati drivers are rubbish but ive used ati since the 3 series and not had a problem yet

3. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

The grey screen issue is one thing many people have reported with recent ATi drivers and has been acknowledged by ATi as being a real issue. Many people also report graphical glitches or worse in a wide variety of games. To me it seems to indicate that the ATi driver team is not as good as the one of Intel or nVidia.

4. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i can only judge ati drivers on my own experience and can honestly say i know nothing about grey screen issue and all my games run fine, im sure there not perfect but then i dont think nvidia drivers are also

5. NoM8s

NoM8s What's a Dremel?

I won't... I bought 2 VaporX HD5870s... the first non nVidia cards since the Radeon 1980 AGP... I am well impressed with them. They are quiet and allow some awesome eyecandy in BC2 and all other games I have. Especially after the Catalyst 10.3 release.

Unless nVidia get their act together I will become an ATI apostle... not something I thought I would ever hear myself say.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

grey screen, yes, had that in unstable overclock. graphical glitches, yes, seen a few flashing textures in BFBC2.

both team's driver are equally as good, but IMHO nVidia provides software feature, so it's worth paying the extra price for nVidia cards.

7. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

I dont think so!! I purchased an XFX 5870 a month ago to replace my ageing BFG 9800 GX2 and first impressions I was not blown away, although after a month I have now realised that the 5870 was a good choice considering the cost, heat and consumption issues associated with the GTX480's. My 5870 can play Battlefiels 2 with all candy turned up and still returns 50-70 fps whilst being whisper quiet and nice and cool.

I was always a Nvidia fan but I have now settled in the red camp.

8. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

I don't think you'll be the only one, infact your comment will probably be synonymous with many greens who tired of waiting for NVIDIA's DX11 reply and have defaulted to the red corner to find that they're decision was a good choice

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

word.

10. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I'm sitting pretty.

I've got my GTX280 SLi's @ 750 Core, which outpaces GTX295 And most GTX285 Sli's.

In most games I get a framerate better than everything under £500.

I'll not be upgrading to cypres or fermi.

I'll wait until next-gen.

11. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

It's too expensive and power hungry for me.
    Plus, I have a 780G based mobo so I can't do SLI with it if I wanted to for some reason anyways.

So I'm looking at the 5XXX series of ATI's cards.
    DX11 up in this hizzy.

Plus they're less expensive for about the same performance.

Probably a 5830 or something.

Edit:

I might be worth noting I'm running a 9600GSO 512Mb right now.
    So this would be a nice step up.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2010
  12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

After spending 5 years with Nvidia cards I've just purchased a 5870. It's getting time for a new card to keep the settings high and I'm hoping to help show game devs that DX11 is something they can start using. Also to show Nvidia that if they want to keep my business they'll have to put out a decent product rather than try to sucker me into buying an inferior card with CUDA and PhysX.

13. Hamehax

Hamehax Destroyer of words

SLI or Die! (Crossfire's good too!)

Even with the existing 480s ~100 cheaper than 5970 I still personally believe anything higher than a 5850/275 is unnecessary for the 1920x1080 resolution I use. Of course with Eyefinity and high resolution monitors, more powerful cards are necessary. On the other hand I am big fan of SLI/Crossfire . It enables me to buy a card which wasn't what I was going to get and instead choose a slightly less powerful card. Then when I have more cast to spend again I can Crossfire them getting a better performance than I pay for as I don't through away the previous graphics. Add PSUs and the same still applies if not more so.

For me the choice is clear but it only comes down to your personal usage and whether you reckon you'll use the tessellation which can have visible improvements.

14. wyx087

i have to say, that's me :) 8800GTX, gtx260 and 5870.

good decision on card's performance, yes. but also missing CUDA and PhysX

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I have a 260 GTX wuy and I am hankering for a 5870 too :D 260 GTX is starting to struggle in BC2 a bit..

16. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

SLI

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

SLI drivers are fail. Anyone would prefer a single gpu setup.

Baz likes this.
  18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I strongly have to disagree with you there. My SLI set up at the moment works wonderfully.

19. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

lol it won't be a "out of stock" problem buying a GTX480/470 if nobody wants one

20. wyx087

if you are not happy with its performance, then go for it :) gave me enough performance jump to max out all games i currently own with 4xAA or higher at 1920x1200.

not sure about Metro 2033 though, it's very demanding. but BFBC2 runs beautifully with all maxed and i've been hooked on it. only recently got the hang of it, hopefully my K/D and W/L ratio will improve. (currently both just over 0.8)

SLi and crossfire are both dodgy, you have to rely on drivers to have acceptable performance increase over single card, while going from one generation to a new generation will guarantee a performance increase due to newer GPU architecture.