1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Will you be buying a GTX 480?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moyo2k, 27 Mar 2010.

?

Will you be buying the GTX480?

Poll closed 6 Apr 2010.
  1. Yes

4.2%
  2. Yes, if the future drivers boost the performance

4.7%
  3. No, it's too expensive/hot/power hungry

33.8%
  4. No, I've been waiting for Fermi and now I'll buy a 5870

21.1%
  5. No, I'll stick with my old card for a while yet

36.2%
  1. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Game on mate for going for it. Let us know how it goes

Pete J likes this.
  2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

PeteJ... you sir, are amazing. You're like "that guy" who taunts the lions at the zoo, the guy who clearly sees the light go from yellow to red and says "I got this", the one who insults professional MMA fights to their faces and laughs. Foolish? Brave? Naive? Nay, just goddamn awesome.

Oh, and no. I'm waiting for Fermi to hit retailers for any last hope at ATI reductions, then it's 5870 time.

Pete J likes this.
  3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I'm tempted now to wait for "the next revision" as hopefully Nvidia may have ironed out any kinks in Fermi, the 'lets cook you a pizza in 10 mins" kink, and even the cost.
    I remember i paid slightly over £300 for my GTX295, but that's about as much as i would want to pay for a GPU.

Sam

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I wonder if there will an a 'x2' version?

5. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

This is excellent. And just when I thought this meme was played out...

As far as the poll, probably yes. I suspect there's some performance hiding behind these shoddy drivers. The numbers for the GTX 295 in Crysis are just bizarre and not consistent with any previous benchmarks so clearly there's something weird with the driver here.

Worst case scenario, I waste some extra cash on the 480. Sure it's hot and relatively loud but it's not really going to be any worse than the dual 275s I was planning to get before I decided to hold out for the DX11 cards.

I also suspect with the great SLI scaling and strong tessellation performance, the GTX 480 is more of a future-proof choice than the 5870. I tend to keep my cards a long time so this could be a plus.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Mar 2010
  6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

OF course this is assuming that your cards won't be bonkered by the fact that it's too hot.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i voted yes my self as well i have an 9800GX2 (i got an Credit for my GTX280 as it died on me, that one think i got 230 for it as well :) so that pay half way for it hopeing i can get it for £400 or lower then £440), i get 3 years cover on the card any way, so same thing happens to this card when GTX480 is no longer in stock i most likely get an credit on that as well

the card seem to run like an GTX295 but should run like that or faster as there is no SLI in there, i norm never buy Dual GPUs or 2 GPUs as i prefer one fast GPU, the 9800GX2 was due to its good folding performance for the price i could get them for (all 9 of them, ok 8 as i cooked one not bad for an year or 2 running at 100% load)

3 of my friends are getting them as well (1 is getting 2 but think its going to get an bit noisy inside his PC)

8. Edison

Edison Recovering AMD Fanboy

My 280 runs most all gamer quite well so I'll be holding off for a while. Let's see what thing s look like in a few more months. We'll probably see a new stepping or two and better drivers. If Nvidia fails to deliver, there's some nice ATI silicon out there.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I was definitely going to buy a 480 but with the heat issues and the crap warranties in this country I can see them dying from the heat, and thats alot of money down the drain, EVGA seems to have the best warranties atm so maybe??

10. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Why the hell are these graphics cards getting more and more expensive?

I thought the trend was for PCs to get faster and cheaper. Ill stick with my 8800gtx for now.... Infact anyone got a spare they want to sell?

11. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Certainly won't be buying a GTX 480, there is really no reason to spend such money for the performance returned...just bought an Asus EAH5850 and with a small voltage increase with MSI AfterBurner, the performance betters a (stock) 5870 and competes well with the GTX 480, all for ?224.99...
    ________
    How to roll blunts

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Why thank you kind sir! *Goes back to waving his junk through the bars at the lions in the zoo*

13. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Your biggest problem here is heat. You have 3 graphics cards - that alone, hit 96 degrees Celsius in a high-airflow case, in air-conditioned labs of 22 degrees - positioned right next to each other. Your case is going to fill with hot air. Your cards are going to be positioned so close together that airflow through the cards will be nightmarish at best, and in all honesty, closer to impossible. These cards will COOK.

On top of that, your other temperatures will increase - notably CPU, PSU (you will NEED a 1200W+ PSU to power those cards) and hard drive. Potentially all 3 could fail.

You'll also probably have those fans running full pelt, and while you may not care about noise, anyone who lives with you might object!

The only way to avoid this is water-cooling. The water-cooling setup for those sorts of cards will set you back a few hundred pounds, too, and the case (I can realistically only think of the TJ07 to handle duties here) will add another £250 to your price. Add to that the fact that you'll have to take off the stock coolers (so goodbye looks), and your reasons seem to fade out, one by one.

By all means, best of luck, fella, but I honestly expect to see at least one GTX480 in the Bit Marketplace by the 15th.

Pete J likes this.
  14. modwhat?

modwhat? What's a Dremel?

Yes i will be buying 2 for a SLI setup. I dont care about the noise. The power sucks yes but i can deal with it. I think with new drivers these cards will shine.

15. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I currently have a GTX285, running at 1920 res. There's not a game I own that I can't run at max settings, so no need to buy anything else. And as most of the posts I'm reading about the new nVidia cards are negative, not exactly a compelling reason to buy one.

@Pete J: go for it. I'm in your corner. I want bragging rights with my peers as well!

16. rollo

rollo Modder

£450 for a pc part is high but i'd guess not the highest most have paid including myself

17. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

That's more than 2 times the most I've ever spent. You guys are clearly wedged.

18. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

fixed. unfortunately being an enthusiast of anything means you have more money than sense (for the most part anyway).

19. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Interesting that 30 people will now be buying a 5870, 6 will be buying the GTX and 6 more only in the unlikely event that driver tweaks significantly improve the performance, that's a flop imo

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yeah I just ordered 6 GTX 480's :D Not really! With all the problems with Nvidia it hasn't made it more likely that I would buy ATI though it just means I wont be buying any thing right now.