1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by happyhammer7, 13 Oct 2013.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes, but I can't confirm if thats an 8.1 issue or not.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Win8.1 had changes to it's VPN support, to support modern UI apps, and have a more embedded approach support. Like you can add a VPN connection from: Change PC Settings > Network > Connections, and you'll see something new: "Add a VPN connection".

I think that is why it's no longer working. I recall Win7 and Win8 had the same problem at released. You had to wait for VPN software to support it, or companies to adapt to the changes. Lack of VPN support part of the OS is something that Windows always lacked.

Sucks, but what can you do.
    I would try to find a workaround for your VPN solution.

3. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

It's great that modern UI apps will now work through a VPN and the PC settings look really good, but that's no good if the VPN won't work.

It's just my uni's VPN, apart from connecting thru my gf's win7 netbook can you suggest any workarounds?

4. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I get it on Win7 too. must be my uni

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Define VPN. PPTP (Windows VPN) ? OpenVPN ? Something else?

In case of OpenVPN you have to install 2.3 beta packages because the TUN driver is too old in 2.2 version of OpenVPN.

6. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

It's a PPTP (windows VPN) I think. I'm in between contracts at the moment so it is probably my college that have messed up. I was promised it would be a seamless transition between contracts only now I find out the seam is two weeks long.

Thanks for trying to help but I'll wait until I hear from college on Monday. Hopefully it'll just be a case of them reinstating my VPN access.

7. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Updated to 8.1 and got 10GB(ish) of free space back on my win hd.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I tested my vpn using win 8.1 to my network, it works fine

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Argh 8.1 has corrupted my 3DS Max install fml.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I've never really trusted upgrading to new versions of Windows as opposed to a clean install.

8 to 8.1 has been a lot better and cleaner previous upgrades, but I've still have had some odd software/driver issues. Probably the next system I do I'll do a full refresh in 8 then upgrade.

It's a shame a method other than downloading and upgrading from the store isn't available to most users. Especially since it's a 4GB download and 8.1 is designed to replace and not co-exist with 8, for which an ISO was available for when you bought it.

A clean install on say a borked system now means installing 8 from an image then immediately downloading the 8.1 update from the store. Not fun if you have slow internet.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Well, I've got everything sorted and I can safely say 8.1 is much more refined than 8, and I'm very happy with it. They've sorted out most of the little issues and more things are integrated in to Metro. Happy days!

12. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Windows 8.1 running very well on desktop, just hope everything stays fine with my laptop can't find any drivers for it.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Only issue I've had with 8.1 so far has been on the 'rents computer... IE 11 is incredibly, ridiculously crash-happy...

14. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

How much has changed since the Preview? I'm still stuck on the preview until I can find time to re-install a fresh copy of 8 and then upgrade.

I've also moved in with my mother-in-law after finishing uni, so I'm also stuck on a slowish internet connection with a measly monthly download limit of 10GB until later in the week when the unlimited option kicks in, so a bit weary of downloading a 4GB file until then.

15. GoodBytes

Beside the new modern ui apps, and further polished current ones (of the preview), nothing much, it's just massive bug fixes, and polishing. SkyDrive is finished.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2013
  16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

How old is the laptop? Are there Win 7 drivers available for it?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Exactly this.

Attempted to remove Start8, found they didn't put the Start Menu in - which was the whole point - then put it back on. Stardock keep giving me pop-ups to install some Mix-**** though, which I don't appreciate.

So far I've had to edit the registry three times to remove crap like Folders they've added and I can't remove. I had hoped to further bury Metro even deeper but it pops up as much as before unfortunately.

18. GoodBytes

Honestly you guys should really learn the Start Screen. It's so much better than the Start Menu.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Love it, personally. It has so much more potential too. I want:

• Tiles for HDD with storage and activity indicators
    • Network tile with IP address and up/download activity
    • Tiles with other system data, presented in graphs of your choice
    • Big Application icons that list the most recently opened files, which allow you to open the relevant file straight from Start Screen
    • Music controls on the actual music tile

This is only the beginning.

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I like the way this guy thinks. I'm happy enough so far with the improved Metro integration, and I'd say as for adding more stuff, the only way is up!

Edit: Skype has just updated. Does anyone know how to turn the damn sounds off?

Last edited: 21 Oct 2013