Case Mod - In Progress Windows G5, 24 October FINISHED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sk8roy, 12 Sep 2009.

1. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

If the veneer doesn't work, which I was going to test it tomorrow. I was thinking of either doing it
    (A) all white and then paint the front panel piece, HDD cage and MB tray blue. or
    (B) do the entire middle piece white inside and out and then the outer section (sides and feet), front panel, HDD cage and MB tray blue.

What do you think A or B

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I'd go with option B

3. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

well I tested out a piece of the veneer today and only drilled out about 20 of the hole and the veneer just looks horible with the holes in it. So I'm just gonna go with painting it and thanks flame696 that is the option I was leaning toward myself.

4. flame696

oh cool the reason i said option b is ive done something similar with my antec 1200 i painted the grills sidepanels and fans white and then stuck some blue cold cathodes and leds looks really nice if you want to see pics they are in the modding forum in teh case mod topic

5. flame696

6. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

WOW.. That does look nice. Thanks for sharing that.

7. flame696

Thanks, so when are we going to get another update??

8. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

will be at least till the weekend till next update. Waiting on PSU and DVD drive. Also have to get a few things done around the house like finish the mailbox I started making 2 months ago.

9. death_munky

death_munky F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

i'm really liking the work so far, i can't believe this is your first full mod.

This case may be a good candidate to install a lightbox like charles_h did in the bottom of his latest murderbox mod
    i think it would really highlight the unique hd mount you've made.

looking forward to seeing it painted up

10. urbtree

urbtree What's a Dremel?

my god that is stunning.:jawdrop:

nice idea about the light box too.

good stuff so far.
    subbed

11. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Thank you. and yes I saw the murderbox mod and was already planning on doing the light box thing. I planned on using the 4 white cold cathodes I got and construct a box that covered the entire bottom of the case and place them in it with a sheet of white plexi or something over it. Not sure if they would be enough to light it up but we'll see. That was also the reason I wanted to paint the whole inside white, it will help bounce the light around.

I've been goin nuts waitin for my stuff to arrive so I can get back to this.

thanks again everyone.

12. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

lookn good
    im subbd

13. death_munky

death_munky F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

lol.... can't wait to see it all painted and lit up!

14. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Since I am still waiting on the PSU and DVD drive I started the light panel. Searched all over the hardware store by the house and could not find any white plexi. So I will have to order that but pretty much got the panel finished other than paint and plexi. Going on vacation next week so can't even get that ordered cause I won't be in town when it is delivered, oh well.

Ok on to the update. I used a couple 5/8" sqaure wood trim to construct the panel to hold the cold cathodes. I Cut 2 pieces a tad longer than the CC to leave room on the end for some velcro that will hold them in place. The other 2 pieces were cut to 7".

[​IMG]

Screwed them all together and then placed it over the 4 CC. Spaced them out and marked where I would have to cut slots in the wood for the wires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut some grooves with the dremel and presto. it all fits together rather nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now let's see how well it lights the case. I shot this in a dimly lit room and set the camera for an underexposure so these are actually a tad brighter in person. I did it this way since the plexi (I think, not sure) will make these a little dimmer. So this should show about the light output I should expect with the white plexi over them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems to fade off quite a bit at the top. The power supply I ordered has a white led on the fan so it should provide a good fill in the top.

Thanks for watching and I'm going to try and get a little more done before vacation time, so hopefully I'll have some more to share in a few days.

15. Bouly

Bouly What's a Dremel?

I'll do exactly the same thing, I'll use a special plexiglass white satin for reflextion light.
    [​IMG]

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This is looking to be a very nice project, I love the G5 :D.

17. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

can't you connect all those lamps together to get one single line in? Seems like a lot of wiring for a little light that fades out halfway through the case.

bouly's plexiglass might be the solution.

18. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

I plan on using some type of plexi like Bouly just got to find somewhere that sells it in a smaller sheet, alll I can find is in a 4'x4' sheet and it is too much. I am not that great at wiring but plan on sleeving those all together. They will then go up behind the motherboard and plug in to the 2 control boxes that came with the lights. I do not know if they can be tied into one line and connected to just one of the boxes, I don't even know how the little box or lights actually work. If you know whether or not they can be let me know. Here is what it is. Like I said I have no clue what the blue boxes actually do, but if I could just bypass and connect a single line to the psu I'm all for it.

[​IMG]

19. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

The blue boxes are power inverters. They take the 12V from your PSU and step it up to a higher voltage that is required for the two cathodes connected to it to function. That's why they get so hot, heat is a troublesome by-product of stepping voltages.

I've never seen anyone try and run two CCFLs from one outlet on an inverter, but my guess is that they'll light up, but they'll both have half the brightness that they would if they were connected seperately. Inverters can be tempermental so I wouldn't try it if I were you, that is unless someone with experience can say otherwise.

20. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

thanks mate, I'll just stick with my original plan then.