1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is this forum coming to? Awesome discussions on life, the universe & everything!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by StingLikeABee, 5 Mar 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I think it can also be used to describe those that view homosexuality as being wrong, would you agree? Hatred is such a strong and over used word these days!

2. walle

walle Minimodder

Hate is as overused as the definition of phobia is twisted.

3. longweight

Care to expand on that sentence?

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

But it is reasoned, the reason being my opinion !

So to what extent can we go before crossing the line. For example, I am anti Islam, does this mean I'm now automatically a racist!?

5. longweight

No your opinion isn't reasonable in it's own right, it is reasonable in your opinion.

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

But again that's your opinion that my opinion is only reasonable in my view!

7. longweight

I just can't keep this up with you.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The sky is purple. Hey, that's my opinion so whatever you think is wrong, because the very fact that it's my opinion is what makes it right.

Contrast that statement with the following:

I have poor eyesight. I have had an ocular disorder since birth which results in a color shift in the visible spectrum. For this reason, I posit that the sky is indeed purple. However, I understand that my world view may be altered by the fact that what I see has been filtered in some way, so I respect that your opinion may be different than mine.

See the difference?

Edit: Thought I should clarify that this is a hypothetical situation provided for example only.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dwarfer, I think what you and longweight are both trying to say (coming from different directions) is that opinions have no absolute truth or value outside of the person holding them.

You are right that labels are tricky things, and to keep pressing that point. The first step in any sensible debate is to define and agree on our terms so we all understand what the other is trying to say.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  10. longweight

Thank you.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Why would being anti-islam make you racist?

12. longweight

I think he was taking my insinuation that not believing homosexuality to be right makes someone homophobic and that this would be like saying that his dislike of Islam makes him a racist.

13. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

The same reason it shouldn't be classed as homophobic if someone's opinion disagrees with the masses!

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Despite the fact that you failed to answer my question, I shall continue.

You appear to be against homosexuality. That makes you homophobic by the modern definition of the word. That's a shame if you don't like the label, but that's how society has chosen to apply it. Language is a public artefact afterall.

You would not on the other hand be racist for disliking islam, because islam is a religion, a cultural meme chosen by the individual, while racism is the dislike or hatred of a group of people organised along phenotypic characterisation (that is, on how they appear externally).

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

After reading most of this thread I have come to one simple conclusion. Everyone should simply consult a dictionary before they post something.

On a more serious note and getting back to the original post, in a place like the internet where you have unlimited combinations of personalities, maturity levels, and different amounts of intelligence. Moderation is necessary. And if someone can't get the point. Simply ban them. If getting rid of a few rotten apples makes for a good pie (sorry for that) then get rid of them.
    Getting rid of people who cause nothing but problems will open the door for good people to show up and open the forum for more intelligent debate.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nope - the dictionary plainly defines homophobia as strong antipathy or hatred towards homosexuals. "God hates fags" is a perfect example of homophobia: unbridled and callous discrimination.

Many people who believe homosexuality to be wrong are indeed homophobes... but not all of them.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Should be a sig.

18. longweight

So what word would you use to describe those people?

19. walle

walle Minimodder

In case of the term "homophobia" you better consult a dictionary printed later than 1960, that said, not everyone agrees with, or recognizes, the term "homophobia".

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I am open minded and I still believe it to be wrong. I doubt I will ever change my mind. But never say never.

Your rational argument for not being wrong is the fact that homosexuality is a natural and functional permutation in nature? Surely you can agree that heterosexuality is also a natural and functional permutation in nature? Therefore you should also agree that I do have a rational basis for my belief. If you agree maybe you can retract this?

But in that situation you would be making a rational judgement. You have an ocular disorder so to you the sky is purple.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I disagree with this. My poof pals (and no, none of them object to this title) don't consider me to be homophobic even though they know I think homosexuality is wrong.

I just object to people calling me irrational because I believe something is wrong. There is nothing irrational about my beliefs.