1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One price cut to £399.99, with free copy of Titanfall

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Feb 2014.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

You get 2 free games with Xbox Live Gold, And has been that way for around 7 months now, Granted the titles aren't brilliant, they do throw in a larger title into the mix occasionally.

Sam

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Cheapest i have seen, not sure of the website though

XBOX One

£369.97

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and XBL gold is £26 a year if you know where to get it from....

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

£180 & I am sure of the deal.
    ebay link

Only 1 on the feedback but there are plenty of people selling brand new OEM console on it's own that can be registered with microsoft & you can buy all the extra bits either 3rd party or direct from microsoft once you register the console here.

Personally I wouldn't touch an ebayer with 1 feedback when buying from them unless it's a cheap item, got mine from someone who had a bunch of them for £20 more than the example I posted.

Registered mine today & it's covered on warranty until June 2015. :)

Manufacture date is Feb 2014, a couple of weeks old, awesome freshness, the packaging is awesome too, plain cardboard box with a truly awesome plastic bag with strong bubble lines protecting every single face, side & end & it came with 1 month xbox live gold. :D:rock:

Makes the ps4 look expensive. :jawdrop::lol:

6. rollo

rollo Modder

There's a saying with eBay if its too cheap it usually is. They would never get my money that's for sure.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Totally know this rollo but they are legit, I figure someone found a loophole of some sort for buying the consoles on there own, if they are selling them that cheap they have to be making a profit else it wouldn't be worth the bother.

Plus that was the cheapest one I pointed out, just found it a fun one to post with it being so low, you do need to buy the PSU, HDMI cable & a pad separately though & many sellers are selling an inadequate 120w PSU with only some selling the 220w version which is needed but you can order the official one after you register the console & I'd recommend doing that instead of going for a 3rd party one. :D

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I had a big discussion about this on t'Twittorz when the review was published. Simply put: no, a £120 graphics card *doesn't* run Titanfall better than the £450 (now ~£370) Xbox One. Do you know how many frames per second you'd get on Titanfall using the pictured card? Zero. You can't play a game on a graphics card alone.

If you read the review, you get a clearer picture: the £120 GPU beats the Xbox One in Titanfall performance when paired with a £170 CPU, £130 of RAM, £100 motherboard, £120 PSU, £25 cooler, and £90 SSD. Oh, and £80 OS. Plus you're going to need a case for that, so you can add on a fistful of tenners for that. Basically, the machine that beat the Xbox One also cost twice as much - and didn't include a controller (that's another £30 pleas, sir) or Kinect (which may or may not be a problem, depending on your personal preference for a device that SEES ALL AND HEARS ALL.) Or a free game.

The discussion then took a sideways turn into total cost of ownership (TCO). Even there, the case for a PC isn't as clear-cut as you might think: using the specifications for a mid-range PC (build cost, including an Xbox for Windows controller but excluding Kinect, around £600), we worked out that the overall costs are very similar. That's even allowing for buying eight new-release games at the full £50 rip-off Xbox Marketplace cost compared to the same games at £40 for PC via Steam, basically 'cos you're going to have to keep upgrading the PC roughly every three years to stay on top of the latest titles. (Three-year figure reached by having a shufti at how similarly-priced components from three years ago fare in today's games. By contrast, in March I could buy Titanfall for the Xbox 360, a console now nine years old, and it'd play fine. T'won't look as good as the PC version, true, but the PC version won't run on nine-year-old hardware no matter how far I dial down the settings.)

I even did a graph. No, really. Here:

[​IMG]

That's TCO for the PS4, Xbox One and the aforementioned PC, tracked over a seven-year lifespan (and assuming no hardware failures in that period - if only that were true!). Both the Xbox One and the PS4 include the cost of annual membership to their respective online services, at full bought-through-the-console price.

In short: you might save money buying a PC instead of a console, but you won't save much.

Think I've gone off on a bit of a tangent now. S'amazing what I'll do instead of the work I'm actually supposed to be doing, innit?

Last edited: 25 Feb 2014
  9. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Hmm. I don't agree with the financial analysis.

What the Xbox does not have is stuff like the Steam sales and Humble Bundle. Maybe later I will do some calculations of the amount of games I have bought for mere pennies, not £40 and up.

I need to be very careful with money so I always wait for the sales.

Then, Gareth, you're forgetting about the toe rags who steal games. Me? I'll usually wait for them to be cheap before buying them. But the general "Savorz moneyz innit on PC gaming" are usually thieving little gits with no appreciation of what these games cost to make and think the whole world should work their asses into the ground for free and for their pleasure.

But yes, that aside I think even the genuine owners can save themselves a fortune by waiting for sales and bundles of epically cheap games.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a simplified financial model, yes. There are too many variables otherwise. You point to things like the Humble Bundle and Steam Sales? Well, when you're doing your own financial model remember to take into account the 'free' games you get as part of the Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus subscription fee. Sales aren't exclusive to the PC, either: just before Xmas, Morrisons was selling off sealed, brand-new, physical copies of Deus Ex on PS3 for £3. £3! That's cheaper than the PC version!

Remember, too, that my model compares new-release titles 'cos that's where the biggest difference is.

If you find otherwise, please let me know - but my prediction is that although the final figures may be different, your graph will be very much the same shape as mine.

Oh, and no - my model doesn't account for pirates. Mostly because they're scummers who should be strung up by the danglies as a warning to others - and there are pirates on every platform, not just PC. (Although the PS4 and Xbox One haven't been cracked yet, I'll bet it's only a matter of time.)

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I wouldn't like to draw out the graph of my PC spend over the years, it'd be a lot more vertical and much bigger numbers :D

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Agree there Sandy, PC hardware is a hobby the fact it plays games well is fun too I guess.

Xbox vs pc comparisons are mute.

How ever much Microsoft xbox fans like to shove it the current facts are there for all to see. I have never ever seen a console been offered a discount after only 3-4months from launch. Microsoft screwed up its simple enough really.

Sonys bill of materials is actually higher than the xbox one including kinnect in that due to using a faster gpu and better memory yet it sells for less. How does that one really work out. ( I dont know how they work out these things just what is been said around other sites who do the breakdowns for the latest techs)

Rumours are Sony is taking a small loss on each console sold while Microsoft has refused to do this for this generation. Did they not learn from there tablet experiment that people have a price cap for none Apple Tech products.

Sony have also just confirmed there 2 day japan sales figures 334k units in 2 days compared to 88k for the ps3.

I own niether console and will likely own niether console unless some must play exclusive comes out.

Prefer Pc gaming and I know ive spent probably 10x the cost of the ps4 or xbox one in doing so over the last 3-4 years alone. Price does not really come into a purchase decision for me though.

13. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

you completely over priced that computer build and you know it...

14. Gareth Halfacree

Sorry to be 'that' guy, but the word you're looking for is 'moot.' 'Mute' means 'silent,' 'moot' means 'subject to debate' but in the Americanised colloquialism you're attempting is interpreted to instead mean 'of little or no relevance' - in other words, not worth debating. Language, eh? What're you going to do?
    Same. I own a PS3 (and about three games - it's mostly just a media streamer and Blu-ray player) and an Xbox 360, but I have no desire to upgrade until both can offer me an actual improvement. Graphics a bit better? My favourite games are character-based; that, to quote a certain Shania Twain, don't impress me much. As for the PS4 - no DLNA support or MP3 playback, Sony? Really? That's about 80% of what I use the PS3 for dropped by the wayside. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'll review my position in the Xmas 2015 sales, see if the prices have come down to sub-£200 with a game bundle and the inadequacies patched out. Might - might - be tempted then.

Actually, I didn't: look at the review. Those prices are current market prices for the exact components used in the benchmark system, as per Google Shopping. Go ahead - price it up yourself. You'll see I'm right.

EDIT: Here, let me help. "We tested the GTX 750 Ti on our trusty Ivy Bridge test rig, which features an Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM, an ASUS P8Z68-V Motherboard, Corsair HX850 PSU, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro, and a Corsair Force GT SSD." Go on. Price those components up. I'll wait here.

Now, if you'd care to read on and not just "hurr, durr, PC master race, consoles blow," you'll see that I then base my financial model on a considerably cheaper PC build.

Care to apologise?

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

16. Gareth Halfacree

Amazing. That is completely different to the PC in the review. I mean, it's not even the same processor manufacturer. Bravo.

If you meant that as an alternative to the PC from my financial model, as opposed to the system you claim I overpriced - an accusation you have yet to prove or apologise for, by the way - then you're still missing some key components. A console comes with a game controller, so add on £30 for an Xbox Pad for Windows. You'll also need an operating system for the PC, which you haven't included - that's another £80. And if you want a proper comparison, you'll also need a Kinect for Windows kit. Oh, and you'll need a Blu-ray drive and some playback software - another £40 and £25 respectively - if you want to match the Xbox One on features.

Care to recheck your sums?

(Incidentally, the priced-up PC from my model - which included a cheap Intel Core i5 and an AMD Radeon roughly equivalent to the GPUs found in the Xbox One and PS4 - wasn't provided by me; it was provided by the chap providing the pro-PC side of the argument. Just so's you know.)

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I meant an over priced computer, as in also over spec'ed. Over kill for titan Fall.
    Why the hell would you use a pad in a FPS if you didnt have to? putting you self at a masive disadvantage.

What review? what the hell are you going on about?
    Only point im making here is that you can make a nice computer for the same price or close to the Xbox and still play Titan Fall better on PC.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Just out of curiosity i done a quick Google search on PS4 and Xbox One cracked, and it would seem they have already been broken :eyebrow:

19. Gareth Halfacree

Who says the modelled gamer is playing an FPS? They might be into FIFA.

EDIT: Here's the specification on which the model was based, provided by the pro-PC side of the discussion. Here's his own TCO estimates, based on slightly different assumptions, along with justification for why each component was chosen.

See the MASSIVE GREAT IMAGE from the post you replied to? That review. The one I provided costings for, and you claimed I'd over-priced. Here.

Still waiting for that apology.

Then you're making it badly. Once you've added on everything you'd missed from your £430 build, you're up at £600 without buying Kinect - and then you'll still have to buy Titanfall itself. Contrast that with an Xbox One, which can be bought for £370 with a copy of Titanfall. I wouldn't exactly call that "the same price or close."

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

You can do infinitely more things on the PC, and games cost a few quid thanks to steam sales and humble bundle.

I have a back log i dear not even look at, ever mind install. That will never happen with the Xbox, you have to heavily invest into the price of each game. Even full release games are never more than £30 for PC.

Xbox one titan fall is £42.00 on amazon,
    £28 for PC [use 5OFFTITAN, to get ANOTHER £5 off that! £23!]

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/origin/titanfall?ref=email_campaign

Making it in the long run much cheaper gaming system. so with that massive saving on games, you can buy what ever controller you like.

Tags: Add Tags