1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One price cut to £399.99, with free copy of Titanfall

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Feb 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Seriously. Read my post. It proves that what you're saying isn't true. There is very little difference in TCO between consoles and PCs. Then read the rest of the thread, where I go on to address everything you've just claimed and explain how little it affects the model.

Then, before replying, build a model of your own. State the assumptions, and prove your point. If your model uses reasonable assumptions and proves that PC is "in the long run (a) much cheaper gaming system," I'll buy you a game on Steam.

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Show me one one available? As far as i can see the Xbox is now £399

Anyway, the system i spec'ed will not have the same life in games as the xbone, your right about that. but It will still have a good amount of years of happy gaming, and WILL in them years be cheaper to game on as the release games are much cheaper, even half the price in some cases.
    Those savings can be used to upgrade the computer accordingly.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which just goes to show that you haven't bothered to read the thread properly. Otherwise you'd have seen this.

Prove it. Load up your spreadsheet, build a model. If you're so sure, you stand to win a free Steam game - and you get to put me in my place. Why wouldn't you?

Unless, that is, you actually know that your claims cannot stand up to scrutiny.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Available i asked... Thats is out of stock.. or never was.
    that very well mite not get honoured.

5. Gareth Halfacree

You do know that Titanfall isn't out yet, right? And neither is the Xbox One bundle? That's a pre-order and given how large GameStop is as a company and the effort they've put into advertising the deal, I'm entirely certain it will be honoured.

Still waiting on the model that disproves mine.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I forgot i was not out yet as iv been playing the crappy thing in beta.
    you wont be getting any graph im afraid, as i cba to download open office and install it just for this.

Also i have no idea how to construct a graph on how to show what im trying to put across. Nor do i see a point other than a free game.

7. Gareth Halfacree

You don't need to produce a graph, or even install a spreadsheet: simply write down your assumptions in a post to this 'ere thread, and then use Windows Calculator to work out the total cost of ownership over whatever period you've chosen. That's what the guy who produced the model linked up-thread did.

Unless, like I say, you know that doing so would just confirm the validity of my model.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Tremendous, yet another thread snarled up in a multiquote shitfest argument. Can we please create a subforum for Gareth to take on all comers in a gladiatorial battle to the death? Or at least create a new thread for each one of these interminable arguments?

Sorry to be a dick here, but these arguments are really dull, and almost always adopt a very confrontational tone from the outset. They generally don't add anything whatsoever to the original thread and nor do they add much to the board as a whole. Not picking exclusively on Gareth either, but these discussions do tend to involve him more often than not :D

Corky42 likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

I give as I receive. Had Otis' original post said "I think I could build a PC for less than that," I would have responded in kind; however, it instead read "you completely over priced that computer build and you know it" - an aggressive, untrue and unwarranted attack on my journalistic integrity. (Especially as I don't actually care which is cheaper - I don't own an Xbox One and that's unlikely to change for at least a couple of years.)

Remember that I provided the model because I thought it was interesting. I spent several hours, unpaid, building it - and ensured that I was getting feedback from someone who believed the opposite of me while I was doing it. It's a sound, albeit admittedly simplified, model - and I'll darn well defend it against unproven claims. Now, if Otis - or anyone else - wants to provide a competing model, then we can get a discussion going here!

That is what these fora are for, right? Discussion? Isn't that why it's called a "discussion forum"? ;)

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

PC with Titanfall
    £427 + £23 [titanfall] = £450
    Xbone with titanfall
    £399

5 full price games.
    Xbone = £45 x 5 = £225
    PC = £30 x 5 = 150

PC total after 5 full price games [not including titanfall]:
    £600
    Xbone total after 5 full price games [not including titanfall]:
    £624

PC would get a bigger lead than this as most games are cheaper than £30 on release but i used £30 as thats the most you would ever pay.

So PC is cheaper, and also considering PC has much more games, lots even free, this makes it much more attractive deal to go PC.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2014
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Thank you! A model!

Now, to your assumptions: you're still using £427 as the price of the PC. Where's the OS? What about the optical drive? Even if you argue that you wouldn't buy a gamepad or Kinect, you'll need both of those - and Blu-ray decoder software so you can play films just like the Xbox One does.

Using Scan's price of £70 for Windows 8, £40 for a Blu-ray drive and £25 for Blu-ray software - the OEM drive doesn't include it, I checked - your model shifts to £735 for the PC and £624 for the Xbox One. Wait, sub-£600 for the Xbox One - the GameStop deal.

That's before we get into longer lifespans, where the PC will need upgrades that the Xbox One would not.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

hmmmmm ok your right :p
    But i dont think its a clean cut as console only gamers make out. PC gaming is not a rich mans gaming platform at all. It can be very cheap if you know how. console players seem to have this idea you need to drop like a grand on a computer for it to be any good which is not the case at all.

blu-ray software?
    http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

you dont need fancy software, just the drive.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Absolutely. For gamers on a budget, especially those who don't care about brand-new triple-A releases, I'd recommend PC gaming every day of the week: massive back-catalogue, fantastic selection of indie games, dirt-cheap offerings in the Steam Sale and Humble Bundles and the like, increased flexibility... PC gaming is definitely the way forward.

For those who do care about new-release games, though, it ain't cheaper. And that was all my model was demonstrating!

Y'see, we're actually on the same side, here. Bro-hug!

Yeah, what you're saying there is roughly equivalent to "you don't need to pay for an operating system, just torrent it." If you want to play Blu-rays legally, you're going to be shelling out on the software.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Absolutely this is a discussion forum, and I'm not trying to stifle discussion - it's just that I think that these discussions would be better if they took place in separate threads, for a couple of reasons. They tend to distract from the original topic of the thread, and I think you'd get a greater degree of participation if they were hived off into their own threads. Just my tuppenceworth, of course, and I'm not trying to dictate to anyone.

It's also fine to highlight how much work you put into your original post, but I genuinely don't see the relevance of your comment that the work you put in was unpaid - I don't get paid for my posts here either :D Also, I don't think anyone was impugning your journalistic integrity, mainly because I don't treat your posts here as those of a journalist, but rather as those of another member of the community. It's a slightly different story if you're the author of the article in the OP and are making further posts that elaborate on that article, but that's not the case here.

Anyway, I've probably derailed this thread enough for now, and you and Otis have made up, so it's all good :)

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's always struck me as a bit futile to compare PC to console gaming costs. It's always compared as a complete buy in to each platform which really doesn't seem useful.

Many people already own PCs. The difference in cost between a home PC and gaming PC is far less. Likely less than buying a new console.

On the flip side, a person may intend to own a console anyway. They may want it for media features or Kinect or something. In which case, the cost of buying another game for an existing console is way less.

tl;dr PC gaming is cheaper for a PC gamer. Console gaming is cheaper for a console gamer.

16. Gareth Halfacree

'Cos normally, when I spend several hours doing quite in-depth research (things like figuring out how much £120 of today's money would be three years ago corrected for inflation, what kind of graphics card that would have bought you three years ago, and how said card would stack up to the minimum system requirements of a modern game as a means of seeing how the 750Ti will stack up to games released three years from now) and producing a lengthy summary with supporting graphics which gets posted on a site with advertising down the sides, I get paid. It's my job. It's also something I enjoy doing, though, which means I'll sometimes do it for free. Like now, in fact.
    That's a good attitude to take - when I haven't got my 'staff' hat on, it's true that I'm just another forumite like any other. Although that also means that I don't have to bite my tongue if I'm feeling aggrieved - swings and roundabouts, innit?

17. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I'm just going to say, I like it when Gareth goes 'ghetto baller' on people. It's a bit like being down the pub and getting into a lively discussion, but instead of punching and kicking to get his point across, he uses facts and links. Now I don't always entirely agree with where he is coming from, but he is nearly always fairly correct. I put it down to being able to back what he says up.

See I would argue that you shouldn't factor in the Kinect into the PC build. reasons:
    Most people that got it for the 360 regretted it shortly after and didn't use it.
    Most people complained that it should be optional to purchase as they didn't want to have to buy it with the Xbox One.
    A portion (large or small I do not know) are leaving it unplugged or buying Xbox One 'console only' to prevent having to pay for the Kinect.

My 8 year estimate is £2500 with my current setup costing me £1300 but I was a squeaky bum PC gamer for most of that time. I'd guess about 8 years (started with budget setups moving to mid and now at mid-high), plus I sold some of my components - some for more than they were purchased new, so was able to rein in the outlay amount. Going by what I know my PC gamer friends have spent, I would say Gareth is quite close with his estimates for the PC cost.

I think the console outlay is way overestimated by what I've seen with friends. I'd figure it is about half. £700-800 for the console and one replacement plus a pad or two. People tend to buy 4-6 games a year with some coming from friends or 2nd hand and will sell 1-3 to recoup some money.

18. Gareth Halfacree

That may just be the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me. :waah:

S'arguable, that one. It was included in my original model simply to get as close to feature parity between the two platforms as possible. There are arguments for and against, although I've seen the Xbox One Kinect sell on eBay for £60 or more - although I have no idea why, given that you're not supposed to be able to buy an Xbox One without Kinect - so while ditching Kinect from the PC build would drop its cost accordingly, you could also shave £60 off the Xbox One cost.
    I included the possibility of selling the old components when upgrading in my model, although at a highly reduced rate: based on my research, I found that the three-year-old equivalents to the components used in the build were selling for about £20 for the GPU and £20 for the motherboard and CPU as a matched pair. Obviously, if you buy more expensive components they'd sell for more - but that seemed to be the going price for three-year-old entry-level parts.
    Aye, both the PC and console costs are based on heavy purchasing (eight titles per year, reduced to seven titles in year one for the consoles to account for the bundled game) of full-price new-release games. If you buy fewer games, you can expect the TCO to drop accordingly; likewise if you do the sensible thing and wait for a month or so after launch, the cost of the games - and, frequently, the difference between PC and console costs - reduces as well. That was part of the simplification: to keep the model manageable, I was always going to have to cut corners by making selected assumptions - but I ensured I agreed those assumptions with the other side of the discussion first.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Comparisons between pc and Xbox costs are Irelivent to most. Pc desktop ownership is on the downwards.

On forums like this you could technically say a 750 will give similar performance as everyone likely owns a pc of some discription.

In the general population that's not really true as most people I know binned there desktops and would cost them a lot to get a desktop back.

Gareth's post is accurate for most in terms of cost maybe not including kinnect. It's widely inaccurate for most people in forums like this as they spend a lot more on yearly upgrades. Yes games are cheaper but when your upgrading 50-60% of the build every year as some do your spending more on hardware than you are on software. ( even that does not include expensive software like Adobe that some of us use)

Facts are pretty simple Xbox one needs a sales booster, titanfall is likely not it.£400 is still a lot of money for a device with a tiny selection of games none of which are must play exclusives. Game prices are also high as with all new consoles.

You can aquire titanfall on pre order for under £20 currently after the initial pre views slaughtered the game a bit.

Tags: Add Tags