bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 2nd Jan 2007, 23:46   #41
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes, that's it... Microsoft Internet Explorer is running on Linux (through Wine). I need it for accessing some dumbass school stuff

Oh yeah, it was an easter egg
Old 30th Apr 2007, 15:32   #42
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Top distros according to distrowatch as of 2007-04-25:
(Link)
Old 12th Jun 2007, 13:06   #43
Fophillips
Hypermodder

Fophillips has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A small error:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider
6.1.2. Window managers
Gnome
KDE
Fluxbox
Xfce
GNOME, KDE, and Xfce aren't window managers. They are desktop environments which use Metacity, Kwin, and Xfwm, respectively, as their window managers.
Fophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 13:25   #44
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
I know, it was put in on purpose actually, just to keep it simple. It would become much more complex if I had to make a further subdivision for the desktop environments. Also the goal of this was to give a basic idea, spark interest...
Old 19th Jul 2007, 01:35   #45
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

SPQQKY has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have to ask this.....where is the satifaction in using Linux? I have tried a couple of (distros?) like Ubuntu which is supposed to be the easiest to use and after about 4 weeks of complete and utter hell, I wiped it from my system to never return. I don't understand what it can possibly offer other than several trips to the pharmacy for headache medicine.
SPQQKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 02:24   #46
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY View Post
I have to ask this.....where is the satifaction in using Linux? I have tried a couple of (distros?) like Ubuntu which is supposed to be the easiest to use and after about 4 weeks of complete and utter hell, I wiped it from my system to never return. I don't understand what it can possibly offer other than several trips to the pharmacy for headache medicine.
i personally love it partly because i like the minimilistic view of fluxbox, at first i enjoyed just mucking around in terminal to see what i could do and am now hooked on it and i simply like the whole open souce concept. but i never really had any major hardware support issues (or at least ones a care about ie the intergrated webcam on my laptop)

i5-4670 | Asrock Q87M vPro | Corsair DDR3 16GB | 2x Intel 530 180GB | 9TB of misc spining disks | ATI 7870 | Corsiar something case | Dual boot ArchLinux and Windows 7 (aka game launcher)
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 09:03   #47
Glider
/dev/null

Well, for me the satisfaction in Linux comes from the fact that it's 100% adaptable to your needs. Certainly Gentoo fits this perfectly. If there's something I don't use, I simply leave it out. USE flags FTW!

Also, the whole OSS way of thinking is the future IMHO. And why invest money into an OS if a free one offers the same? (Note, I'm not a gamer!)

I did run into unsupported hardware (curse you Texas Instruments!) but nothing I can't live without. Linux is a choice, and it has it's ups and downs... But, I'll guarantee you, once you get to know how things work, you'll never want to go back. The freedom that Linux offers opposed to Windows is just astonishing.

But, I wonder, what made your trip to Linux land such a Hell SPQQKY?
Old 19th Jul 2007, 14:57   #48
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
But, I wonder, what made your trip to Linux land such a Hell SPQQKY?
typing all those commands only to find it didn't work, then trying all the suggestions to make it work, and still nothing. Trying to get graphics drivers to work so I have more control of resolution (I could NEVER get to my monitors native 1680x1050).

I was using Edgy Eft I believe (6.10 or 6.01?). I'd be willing to try Ubuntu again (feisty fawn) if you'd be willing to help a fella out....but I have heard nightmares of installing Ubuntu after Vista was installed and I don't wanna end up with a fubar Vista install. I'm dual booting with XP but the XP install is minimal at best with only a couple of benchmarks and one or two games on it, so I could whipe that out and put Ubuntu on that partion.

How much headache would I be in for?
Old 19th Jul 2007, 15:14   #49
Glider
/dev/null

Commandline isn't needed in Ubuntu, it just speeds things up if you know what you are doing. Don't take the plunge on the deep end and start with CLI if you aren't comfortable with it. And if Ubuntu isn't your cookie (good boy ) you could try SuSe or even Fedora...

I allways want to help out someone that's unsure about Linux. I never used Vista, and not planning on it, but I don't think it will be that different to dual boot...
Old 19th Jul 2007, 16:01   #50
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

Nah, tried SuSe first and hated it, at least I had some success with Ubuntu. I am about done DLing Feisty Fawn and did a little research on dual booting with Vista already installed. I'll give it another shot today (nothing better to do). Look for post by me with a title something like "F#@k $h1t, blah blah blah" ...... LOL.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 16:24   #51
sandys
Mod Master

sandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I was running Ubuntu on my PS3 and it was simplicity itself, its probably the first distro I have used where it worked right off the bat with all my hardware, very impressive, adding packages was a breeze too.

I now have a gentoo install as I am trying to get a fully usable Destop environment and apps in around 100Mb (only 200Mb is available on a PS3) what a chore, compiling each package, its looking good but I and I really hope it yields the results I am looking for because at the moment I am starting to waver due to the time involved as ubuntu wasn't that bad in the first place, it was pretty snappy on the PS3 despite the hardware limitations.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 17:30   #52
Glider
/dev/null

Gentoo is a special distro. I use it myself on my main PC, and I can't live without it anymore. For servers on the other hand Debian is the only wise option
Old 19th Jul 2007, 17:49   #53
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

LOL, well I guess I don't have to worry. I put the disk in and boot from it, select Start or Install and it shows it loading the Linux kernel and then my screen goes blank and I lose video signal and then nothing, it just sits there.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 17:54   #54
Glider
/dev/null

Try booting with some parameters, like noapci... Press F2-F5 or something like it for them...
Old 19th Jul 2007, 18:31   #55
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Try pressing F4 in the menu and dialing down the video mode to 800x600 (temporarily).

A tips page for Ubuntu's LiveCD boot options is at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Last edited by IanW; 19th Jul 2007 at 18:38.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 18:31   #56
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

No dice. I burned two more disks with slow burn speeds on Sony and Ridata media and no matter what I try, it just goes blank when I try to start or install. I've got two different versions DLing now, LTS version and 32 bit version. We'll see if I have better luck with those.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 21:53   #57
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

Okay, must've been a bad download, I've got 7.04 32-bit installed now.

My first question is this......I really need to get my resolution to my monitors native resolution or I won't be able to continue playing with this OS or it will drive me insane. What do I need to do? Right now I can only go as high as 1024x768, I need 1680x1050. Thanks.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 21:59   #58
Glider
/dev/null

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973

What GFX card you have? (Please, Please, Please don't say a ATI )
Old 19th Jul 2007, 22:10   #59
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

nvidia geforce 8600gts. I try to follow the instructions on the help page, but when I go to preferences where it says to uncheck"CD rom with ubuntu 7.04", there is no such option.
I'm gonna boot to Vista for a while, my eyes are already starting to bend.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 22:15   #60
Glider
/dev/null

It's all done CLI in that guide... So I don't understand what you need to uncheck...

Just exit X by doing
Code:
ctrl+alt+F1
sudo su
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
Then,
Code:
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Search for the resolution line, alter it, save and exit

And restart XJust exit X by doing
Code: