bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 18th May 2007, 20:07   #1
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Hypno-Toad Rebuild--April 2012 quick repair and refit.

I started building plastic cases for one reason -I have cut myself on computer sheetmetal more times than with knives,saws, ...broken glass, ...ANYTHING! I also had access to lots of plastic scraps.
I feel I should share some of what I came up with, rather than just showing up to ask dumb questions.

I hope I don't get boo'd off the board...

As stated in the mod gallery, this is made from an old worktable. It was burned and beat, and had several layers of paint and goop on it. when I cleaned it up, it had a nice marbled look, so I decided to use it for a case.

I was working on the cheap, so all my plastic gluing was done with acetone. To cover up the brown staining, I scribbled on the surface with blue permanent markers. I then fused it into the crazing with acetone. -This is where the booing starts...

Last edited by Cheapskate; 28th Apr 2012 at 23:14.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 20:18   #2
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.

This is a closeup of the on switch. It's a marble from a spraypaint can. The little air bubbles in the glass really light up when backlit.

For the backplate I fused 2 sheets together to make a 1/2" spacer. I then machined the hole out using a drill press and dremel bit.

Spacers for the motherboard risers were supplied by the Bic Pen Corporation. (More booing...)
Old 18th May 2007, 21:00   #3
identikit
Ultramodder

identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Awesome use of Bic pens.
Lemonade Magazine | Folding @ Home | CPC & Bit-tech folding stats (team #35947)
identikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 21:04   #4
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Anyway, some stuff I had to figure out the hard way...
-Polyprophelene (the stuff they make 2 liter bottles out of) melts when you try to cut it. -even with a hand saw. The best way I found to cut it is with a tile saw.
-If your material is not -perfectly- flat, the cut will curve. This is true even when you are using a guide.
-Tapping plastic is almost impossible, but sheet metal-type screws work great in lexan.
-Never try to bore out a 1/4" + size hole with a bigger bit. The whole thing will crack.
-when drilling, put a block of wood under the plastic.

My corner overlaps... and puzzle piece fitting.
Acetone made the prophelene or PET-G(clear material) craze. You can also see what happens when you apply too much pressure when fusing...

I decided to use the MB plate. I figured this would make upgrades easier.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 15th Aug 2008 at 19:06.
Old 18th May 2007, 21:31   #5
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

An attempt at a psu enclosure. This will probably stay unused until I get a decent rig. I was running out of material that wasn't too warped to use...
The braces on the sides of the harddrive bay were actually to straighten a warped spot.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 18th Mar 2008 at 01:01.
Old 19th May 2007, 00:47   #6
Spaceraver
Ultramodder

Spaceraver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is actually very original.. Props to you for that.. :thumbs:
Spaceraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 03:08   #7
mattthegamer463
Mod Master

mattthegamer463 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice job, I like the 45 degree edges on the mobo backplate area and other places. I also like the countersunk? screws, nice and clean. Plexi is pretty messed up, but still looks pretty good.
Lian-Li PC7: C2D E6600, XFX 8800GTS 640MB, Corsair 2GB PC6400, 320GB Seagate Barracuda, EVGA 680i SLi, OCZ 850W
mattthegamer463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 03:51   #8
RickDawson
I'm Your DJ

RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!RickDawson - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
neat... except for the acrylic crazing
RickDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 04:32   #9
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Acrylic Brazing or not, that's a damn sight of a good job. The bevelled edges, the original color of the casing, and the irrational common hatred that many of us have for cheap and thin cases! Welcome to the boards man, nobody's going to boo here, especially with the ingenuity of the penbody standoffs.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 05:58   #10
saxman
Multimodder

saxman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the look of the colored plexi on a case looks great. I have always wanted to try making a custom plexi case and never had access to the right mat'ls it looks awesome I actually like the look of the torn up plastic.
saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 12:37   #11
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That material has a great texture. Nice work!
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 15:12   #12
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
I actually intentionally cast a material with that crazed finish for my current project. Gorgeous work!

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 19:48   #13
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Wow! Thanks everyone! I honestly didn't expect a positive response. It helps that the photos hide how rough it really is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegamer463
Nice job, I like the 45 degree edges on the mobo backplate area and other places. I also like the countersunk? screws, nice and clean. Plexi is pretty messed up, but still looks pretty good.
Yes, I used a countersink bit all over. I used it with the drill press to round off the motherboard backplate holes. It made a horrible screaming noise as it cut, but it cut clean and didn't chatter. I guess the more fluting on a bit, the better it cuts plastic.
Old 15th Jul 2007, 06:31   #14
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i love the worn look. and the green/aqua color is very nice. this mustve been a little chunk of time and a little chunk of money on such a decent rig
500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2007, 05:27   #15
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mph View Post
i love the worn look. and the green/aqua color is very nice. this mustve been a little chunk of time and a little chunk of money on such a decent rig
Thanks! I don't think they make this color green anymore. That's part of why I wanted to use it. It was actually very cheap. I think I stated elsewhere that I spent less than $40 on it. I didn't spend much on the computer components either (note the $10 psu.)
It was a HUGE chunk of time though. Most of it cleaning, sanding, and polishing the plastic.
I'm still trying to replicate the look of this stuff.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 18th Mar 2008 at 01:03.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 16:54   #16
tranc3
ADHD Modder

tranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow, very nice the cd/floppy at the bottom makes it look unique and the howl case is very well put together, I'm usually not much for acrylic cases or w/e but this looks great.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 17:54   #17
dacust
What's a Dremel?

dacust has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
BOO!!! BOO!!!!!

OK, well you begged for it enough!

Seriously, it turned out very nice. Some of the best mods are the ones done on the cheap. Finding a material that just begs to be used and then going with the flow. Nice job. I'm going to likn this thread in another thread where someone was discouraged with the price of modding.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

My programs don't have bugs, they just develop random features.

WaterPlant worklog - in progress - Bit-Tech article - WaterPlant site - Home Page - PowerPlant PC - Designing
Don't worry about your english. This is an international forum. That's what makes it great. If I don't understand, I'll ask. Just MOD ON!
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 19:38   #18
fri2219
Minimodder

fri2219 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Holy cow, that looks just like a cast glass block (and looks great too).

Nice work!
fri2219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 20:14   #19
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks everyone.
@tranc3 -This case can be flipped over pretty easy, and the floppy is already upside down.
@dacust -Hell, -I- Booed. Thanks for the cross link. The truth is I had access to a TON of tools and discarded materials.(and even discarded tools!) I'm a major packrat.
Old 28th Dec 2007, 15:34   #20
radodrill
Resident EI

radodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysisradodrill can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Anyway, some stuff I had to figure out the hard way...
-Tapping plastic is almost impossible, but sheet metal-type screws work great in lexan.
-Never try to bore out a 1/4" + size hole with a bigger bit. The whole thing will crack.
These comments are false; I've done both

The tricks are as follows:
Take your time, don't force it (and don't get a bigger hammer*)
- for tapping holes (especially for large diameter screws) use coarse thread (fine threads will strip); and don't try tapping all the way through in one shot: 1) go in a few turns, 2) back it all the way out and remove acrylic shavings from the tip, 3) re-thread tap and go in a few more turns, 4) repeat steps 2,3
- To bore out past 1/4" the key is to step up just one bit size at a time(<=1/64" increase) and don't use aggressive (high-speed) bits; for larger holes (e.g. 1" for fill-port) spade bits work very well; for fan holes I've used a Dremel circle cutter, and I've heard hole saws work if you run them backwards.

* Red Green: "If it doesn't fit, don't force it .... Get a bigger hammer!"
radodrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scratch build

View Mode