bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Aug 2012, 22:51   #1
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
REDELUX (18/1 Final pictures and video)

Hi guys. This is REDELUX, the all-in-one version of my arcade machine "R-Kaid-6".
Im making this for a German friend. For those whove missed out on the original machine, heres a link

Ok, so the original was nice... Buuuuuut not enough.

Heres the REDELUX:

Integrated beamer
Integrated sound system
Two wireless joysticks and trackball
A new and improved custom made MAME frontend
New frontpanel

The machine will have the same shape and measurements as its predecessor.

Ill focus the log on the new stufz and try not to bore you with the same-same seen before.

Hope youll enjoy it, I know I will / Quizz

Edit: This is one of the final pictures, more can be found on page 6 of this thread.

And heres a video, if youre interested in how it actually works:

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision

Last edited by quizz_kid; 11th Feb 2013 at 17:30.
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2012, 22:52   #2
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
And heres the hardware:

A very small 120w PSU

A very ugly Dell Optiplex gx260, stuck(!) in its metal housing. With a 512GB itll do just fine

An old 120GB disk and the sound system

This is the Dell M110, a small LED projector. This little fella is surprisingly good, with 300 ANSI and very low heat generation. Since it will be integrated within the console, Ill only use the remote. But the IR-sensor sits on the back, so to get it up front I had to come up with something. I decided to try a fiber cable for extension of the sensor and it worked! Glad I didnt had to solder in there.

Last edited by quizz_kid; 20th Aug 2012 at 00:08.
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 18:51   #3
quizz_kid
Squid

Thanks guys!

For starters, this is my idea of the wireless trackball. Since there are no of such kind on the market I had to go all DIY on this. I bought a cheap long range wireless mouse and took it apart. The trackball housing I had laying around from an older project of mine.

And THIS is the beautiful 51mm Tiger Eye chatoyant. It will suit the walnut very well IMO.

And then I did some wood working

Six sides, cut and milled

I dont know if its bad gluing or bad veneer, but it cracked at a few spots. I will try to fix it... or hide it somehow.

Hexagon under pressure

This is the feet of the foot stand. Because of the choice of output selection, monitor or beamer, this console will have to be moved around in the room. So I added some small brass wheels. I had to cut off the fittings because they were to big, but it was hard to find a replacement. The holes are 6.7mm and theres no (standard)pegs in that size. I used a silicone tube over a M6, and it worked.

The front:

The hole to the right is for the beamer which will be vertically adjustable from underneath. More about that later.

Here are a nice brass fitting for the beamer and the startbutton.

I needed a thin piece of walnut for the back of the brass fitting and glued four veneer pieces together.

The biggest crack was on the front, and when I tried fixing it it just went worse...

This is one way of hiding it. What do you guys think about it? Too much bling maybe?

Well, so long!

Old 28th Aug 2012, 00:03   #4
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
I was pretty tempted to buy 1 of those tiger eye rock marbles will make for a very awesome trackball & like you said will go with the walnut nicely, I really look forward to feeling confident enough to make my own custom peripherals like that, sweet modding quiz.

Maybe a simple brass plaque engraved would look better to cover the imperfection but I bet you could make that fit in place, it does look quite nice with the walnut, or a nice little simple pattern made from a different tone of veneer laid on top of the walnut. Just quick thoughts, not suggestions.
The tiger eye is mighty fine!! And yeah, maybe brass is too much there. I like your thoughts... Veneer patterns. Ill look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmannen View Post
good to see you on another projekt quizz, good luck!
Thanks Kelmannen!

Ok, a small update:

Started on the controllers. This is the idea: The 1st player left part (where the joystick is) will be detachable from the rest of the pad, and the trackball can be docked right into it. More about that later.

And this is what I did to cover the cracks on the side panels. 4mm walnut frames

Old 29th Aug 2012, 00:06   #5
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
excellent solution man, the frames add a bit of depth to the face while also fixing the problem! And that marble is gorgeous as others have said!

I'm excited to see what you come up with for the track ball. I've had a similar idea myself for the past few years but I never took the time to actually try and make it. Hopefully you have some success!
Thank you! The frames do add a bit of depth. I'm also excited bout the trackball... Cant wait testing it.

Old 29th Aug 2012, 18:19   #6
quizz_kid
Squid

Todays work:

There was some minor cracks on the backside, so I made a fan grill to hide 'em. Its a hexagon!! Will use brass pegs later

Also made the fan grill for the frontpanel.

Some more work on the controllers.

... and the top piece is almost done

Will take some days off now... Be back next week!

YAY!!

Old 3rd Sep 2012, 17:56   #7
quizz_kid
Squid

While waiting for some hardware I thought Id maybe share another R-Kaid-6 product. Its not as complex as the REDELUX, but it has some smart solutions to it. Its a 4-player version, with wing doors hiding some of the electronics. Ive changed the coiled cables for cotton sleeved ones. But what Im most proud of is my locking mechanism. Hope youll like it! / Quizz

Doors closed, controllers on top

Doors opening

Expose of the inner panel

With the four controllers

3 m Cotton sleeved cables.

Close up

Linked cables

Backside/table top decoration

This is the locking device. Its a small walnut knob hidden under the chassis. It locks/keeps the doors in place by turning the knob in one direction. When turning it the opposite direction, it gives the door a slight push to get them wide open. Im very proud about it

Last edited by quizz_kid; 3rd Sep 2012 at 19:01.
Old 4th Sep 2012, 15:52   #8
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwisdom View Post
Oh man, it's another one of your beautiful wooden consoles. It reminds me of a pong console;
It's got sound built in, doesn't use cartridges and it's all wooden =p

But seriously this is ace work as usual.
Thank you friend! I actually got a chance to play the original Pong cabinet this summer, its such a beauty...

Old 4th Sep 2012, 22:23   #9
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Nice solution with the frames.

And wowzers you've been busy creating when did you do the new 4 player one with nifty lock, very nice & tidy.
Thanks Waynio! Ive been quite busy lately yes. I made it during summer vaccation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Looking great! Can I ask how you cut the holes in the walnut frame that had the chipping? I was just curious if a spiral router bit with the correct direction (up or down, depending on which way you had it) would work better
Thanx! If yore referring to the holes on the hexagon I used straight bits... I have no spiral ones, but I might buy one and try it out. But I think it was a combination of dry veneer and bad gluing this time.

Old 6th Sep 2012, 03:15   #10
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
yeah, the holes in the hexagon, I'm a little behind Just a thought for something to try. I have a few down and up cut spiral bits, depending on whether I'm using them in my router table, or hand held, and which surface I have the router against. They seem to cut a little smoother, and leave a little cleaner edge for me.
Thanks for the tip... Im going to buy one after payday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
Awesome woodworking. Looks really nice.
Thank you Pranja! Appreciated.

Old 7th Sep 2012, 08:09   #11
quizz_kid
Squid

Back to work!

So, this is my idea for the 1st player controller:

I needed the docking/detaching between the pads to feel solid + I needed a 8-pin connection.
I had a lot of complex ideas, but ended up with 4x 6,3mm tele plugs.
The male and female are ideal for both bridge AND connection. Im quite proud of the solution.

I made button panels for both controllers

Made som fittings for the projector

This is what Ill be using for the vertical adjustments of the projector. Veeery neat

Cut iout some i/o panels and painted them black

Finally, I made a slight tapered lens protection in solid walnut and added a tiny brass chain.

Hope youll like it. Til next time, YO!

Old 25th Sep 2012, 21:49   #12
quizz_kid
Squid

Been a while... Just moved to a new school. Anyway, heres update!

Button layout drilled

Made a locking mechanism for the controllers. Two tiny 14mm walnut
knobs thatll lock 3mm MDF pieces into a groove and keep the sliding backside in place.

Glued the trackball stand onto the mouse PCB

Hade to make 4mm spacers for the right distance between ball and laser eye.

Put the foot together... This is what it looks like with casters. I kinda like it.

Also started to make some drilling for the battery holders.

My two wireless Xbox 360 controllers arrived

Took them apart and started on the soldering

... and this is after 3 hrs. Never try solder on a 360. That PCB is made in hell!!!

Old 27th Sep 2012, 10:43   #13
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Nice work again quizz. I love the docking system.
Thanks Attila... Im quite proud with the docking myself

Quote:
Love the awesomeness you cram into your projects with added perfect woodwork.
Much appriciated as always Waynio!

Old 2nd Oct 2012, 13:03   #14
quizz_kid
Squid

These are the Sanwa JLF joysticks Ill be using. I needed to mod them a bit, make the 4- to 8-way switching more user friendly

This is the bracket in original

I pulled it apart, removed some plastic och made a turning knob in walnut

Glued with epoxy

Easy access, this is what itll look like.

Tomorrow Im going to re-veneer the whole console. But thats for tomorrow. So long!!

Old 4th Oct 2012, 09:48   #15
quizz_kid
Squid

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

So, I couldnt stand that cracked surface of really bad veneering... So I decided to re-do it.

I starded by cutting the hexagon apart in a bandsaw

Then I put the pieces through some sanding. Had to sand the inner sides down aswell, about 3 mm, just to make up for the loss in material during the bandsaw cutting. So the sides are a bit thinner now, but still very stable.

Re-veneering going on, this time using thicker pieces that covers the whole sides.

This is after the facelift... soooo much better. The grain looks better aswell. Also made some profile milling at the top.

Old 4th Oct 2012, 17:57   #16
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
excellent woodwork!

mind if i ask some questions...

1) what did you use to cross cut the MDF core walnut ply?
2) did you use any sacrificial wood or masking tape?

basically, the easiest way to prevent chipping in cross cuts (when cutting perpendicular to grain) is to use masking tape.

if you are using a table saw, 2 things will help a ton also.
1) zero tolerance insert where the slit for the saw is narrow enough to help keep wood in check... (but may be difficult in miter cuts)
2) type of blade you are using on your table saw... instead of ripping blades, higher tpi blades, take it slow and get a cleaner cut.

also, where you get your plywood matters... good lumber mill quality is far better than box stores...

anyways, nice solution to your problems.

great work again!
Thanks! I used a table saw with blade high and sacrificial wood. I dont trust masking tape that much, had some issues with it before. Good tips though!

Quote:
3mm of sanding? Did you do that by hand, or do you have a thickness sander? That's a lot!

Looks much better now, and I would agree about the grain patterns too. Is that figure in the third from last picture? Nice!
Thank you. Yep, we have a sander master in my new workshop. That mashine is a blessing from above!! And yeah, that's figure... The veneer almost sparkles in sertain lights. Cant wait to put finish on that...

Old 9th Oct 2012, 17:09   #17
quizz_kid
Squid

Update!

Bought some simple black on'n'off switches for the controllers, and drilled some holes.

Did the decoration painting... Check my old "R-Kaid-6" thread for more info about it.

I painted the inner sides of the console aswell, in black, mainly to cover the MDF.

Ive decided to not use the hexagon grill, its a bit too much IMO

Im not sure about the frames for the sides. There are no cracks to hide anymore, but I actually like them, so I might use them. Any thoughts?

Stained the front panel for contrast

Im also thinking about remaking the fan grill in front. I kind of like the roughness, but I could make a cleaner one with sharper tools. Thoughts there?

/ Quizzzzz

Last edited by quizz_kid; 9th Oct 2012 at 21:21.
Old 14th Oct 2012, 21:26   #18
quizz_kid
Squid

Since nobody cared(), I decided to go with frames and grill.

Mmm... The finish, 4 layers of Danish oil.

Assemble up next

/ Quizz

Old 15th Oct 2012, 16:00   #19
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
You auto picked what I was going to say.

The round grill bit though I also like the detail from the slight roughness that you can only see from right up close.

Finishing & patterns are looking great.
Yeah, the grill looks kinda good rough. Thanks Waynio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
Wuuuuh! You used something Danish:P
I might add some of those red hot dogs aswell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalglasses View Post
Hey, I wanna know about the sticker template that you used, how can I get that stuff? I could try that on some of my projects.
Ill have to quote myself here just for the fun of it: "Check my old "R-Kaid-6" thread for more info about it."

Old 16th Oct 2012, 19:47   #20
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
I really do genuinely hate you because this is so good...lol. I love the colours and the pattern on the top panel. Top modding dude, looking forward to seeing it finished
Thank you mate! Glad you like the pattern... I like when I get a chance to add graphic elements to a build.

View Mode