1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project [THING] Raspberry Pi competition, COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 13 Feb 2013.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

Project [THING]

I haven't done a build for a lil while, y'know how it is, the normal restraints (time/money). With the Raspberry Pi competition I could do a mini build (one that I had in mind but on a much bigger scale)
    The aim is for it to cost nothing, zero, zilch... just a box of scrap and I'll get away with using a photo of the Pi (hopefully I'll get lucky and win, and maybe even luckier and bit tech will actually send it)

Ok enough waffling here's the plan.

I'm going to carve [THING] (y'know from the Adams Family !!!) from wood and mount a small case to house the Pi, the case will be layered in pretty much the same way that D33P THOUGHT was.

[​IMG]

here's a photo of how it'll look, the sketch might not be clear enough,

[​IMG]

As I have said earlier the aim of this is for it to cost nothing, Time and effort will be the currency, here's a box of scrap from my last project and an old block of wood, cut from the top of a wobbly fence post.

[​IMG]

So there you have it :eyebrow:

Last edited: 30 Mar 2013
  2. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Argh, Competition!:)
    Good luck!
    I'll be watching you, just to top you off.:D

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

Game on :hehe:

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oooh, you should totally do a robot hand. -In my case, I'd probably make a more believable robot hand than a human one.:lol:

...Still no slice of pie cases showing up.:worried:

Last edited: 13 Feb 2013
  5. Asouter

Asouter --------

A robot hand ? now there's an idea ...or maybe I could do a cousin 'it' but then again you wouldn't see the board or worse i'd fry the Pi (or maybe that should be bake a Pi) Good to see you Cheaps :cooldude:

6. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I'm waiting for someone to mount one inside a cleaned out G5 case!

7. Asouter

Asouter --------

or one of those big UFO mountain mods cases :eyebrow:

8. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

This person's gonna have a hard time making all ports accessable..

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Update 14/02/13

Okies, time for an update, just realised all I'd shown was a box of scrap, a sketch and no work...

So here's a pic of my rusty old shed tools and my personal fave' Mjolnir :)

[​IMG]

Time to get my block of wood started, it's a lil bit too long and not quite within the six inch guideline

[​IMG]

So I measured it a bit, and now it's well within the limits for the competition

[​IMG]

I then drew around my hand and that'll give me an idea of the rough shape and where to hit, simples

[​IMG]

Time to get whacking, Mjolnir will make short work of this and we'll all be back at asgard in time for breakfast

[​IMG]

And the shape is starting to form, breakfast might be a lil late:duh:

[​IMG]

That's all for today, I'd better show my face in the house as it's valentines day

10. Cheapskate

EEk. Your chisels are looking unloved.
    -I'm in the same boat, though. I dropped my sharpest one on the concrete yesterday. It's amazing how they can land point first every time you drop them.

11. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I was going to comment, but I didn't want to sound like a "tool snob" :lol:

I once dropped one I just finished sharpening. Went to catch it, got half way there and the logical side of the brain said "you idiot that's sharp as all get out" and then I sliced my finger. Only had to do that once lol

Plans look solid, going to be interested in seeing how this one turns out :dremel:

12. Asouter

Asouter --------

Nahhh they're only rusty on the outside, I did sharpen them on a wet stone(funilly enough that was covered in rust too:eyebrow: ) But yeah the chisels are not loved much, I guess they're not used to doing anything other than opening paint tins :D

The idea about the robot hand is looking like a better idea, I have had a reality check and realise that my woodwork skills are lacking:duh: (Thing just got an upgrade)

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Mosquito

I was wondering if the wood offianados would be spluttering on their coffee, I'm not even going to pretend that I know my **** when it comes to wood, I'm just having a bit of a knock about.

I hear you with dropping chisels, catching them nearly always ends up with spilled claret. It's one of those things everyone does at least once :thumb:

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 15/02/13

More progress today, starting to get the rough shape of the hand (Thing) Note the liberal scattering of wood chips (for artistic effect) and also one slightly less rusty chisel :)

[​IMG]

I've had to do the pics at funny angles as I'm trying to hide that it oddly looks like a storm trooper :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

Now to find a suitable tool for the dremel and do some of the finer detail :dremel:

15. Cheapskate

Oven mitt! -'cause, you know.. they get so hot.:lol:

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

Yeah, it does look like an oven mitt, or a boxing glove but it still leaves me with enough material to carve those fingers (if I'm brave enough) it was easier to get that rough shape than I expected so if carving the fingers goes the way of the pear, I could always start over :)

Pranja likes this.
  17. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

That's why they make extensions. :thumb:

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

Ahh was trying to figure out how it'd work, extensions would do it :thumb:

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 16/02/13

I have had a play with the dremel and found a decent tool for the finer shaping, I'm really pleased at the result

[​IMG]

There's still some minor shaping left and then I can get some sanding done

[​IMG]

and finally I couldn't resist having a quick look as to what it'll look like

[​IMG]

The Raspberry Pi is a remarkable little piece of kit and the more that I read up about it the more impressed I am, I think I'm going to order one as the original idea of using a photo isn't going to do the build justice.....yeah I know I said I wouldn't spend any money but I think I can just about squeeze to buying the board.

20. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Looks great.

I only hope that you will use that hand for RPi only. :D