bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 13th Feb 2013, 18:52   #1
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Project [THING] Raspberry Pi competition, COMPLETE

Project [THING]

I haven't done a build for a lil while, y'know how it is, the normal restraints (time/money). With the Raspberry Pi competition I could do a mini build (one that I had in mind but on a much bigger scale)
The aim is for it to cost nothing, zero, zilch... just a box of scrap and I'll get away with using a photo of the Pi (hopefully I'll get lucky and win, and maybe even luckier and bit tech will actually send it)

Ok enough waffling here's the plan.

I'm going to carve [THING] (y'know from the Adams Family !!!) from wood and mount a small case to house the Pi, the case will be layered in pretty much the same way that D33P THOUGHT was.

here's a photo of how it'll look, the sketch might not be clear enough,

As I have said earlier the aim of this is for it to cost nothing, Time and effort will be the currency, here's a box of scrap from my last project and an old block of wood, cut from the top of a wobbly fence post.

So there you have it

Current Project : BITZA

Last edited by Asouter; 30th Mar 2013 at 10:52. Reason: update
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 19:03   #2
tekonivel
Multimodder

tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Argh, Competition!
Good luck!
I'll be watching you, just to top you off.
tekonivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 19:05   #3
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekonivel View Post
Argh, Competition!
Good luck!
I'll be watching you, just to top you off.
Game on

Old 13th Feb 2013, 19:26   #4
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Oooh, you should totally do a robot hand. -In my case, I'd probably make a more believable robot hand than a human one.

...Still no slice of pie cases showing up.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 13th Feb 2013 at 19:34.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 19:34   #5
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Oooh, you should totally do a robot hand. -In my case, I'd probably make a more believable robot hand than a human one.
A robot hand ? now there's an idea ...or maybe I could do a cousin 'it' but then again you wouldn't see the board or worse i'd fry the Pi (or maybe that should be bake a Pi) Good to see you Cheaps

Old 14th Feb 2013, 00:38   #6
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

...Still no slice of pie cases showing up.
I'm waiting for someone to mount one inside a cleaned out G5 case!
Old 14th Feb 2013, 16:06   #7
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
or one of those big UFO mountain mods cases

Old 14th Feb 2013, 16:15   #8
elAwesome
Multimodder

elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
This person's gonna have a hard time making all ports accessable..
elAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 16:22   #9
Asouter
--------

Update 14/02/13

Okies, time for an update, just realised all I'd shown was a box of scrap, a sketch and no work...

So here's a pic of my rusty old shed tools and my personal fave' Mjolnir

Time to get my block of wood started, it's a lil bit too long and not quite within the six inch guideline

So I measured it a bit, and now it's well within the limits for the competition

I then drew around my hand and that'll give me an idea of the rough shape and where to hit, simples

Time to get whacking, Mjolnir will make short work of this and we'll all be back at asgard in time for breakfast

And the shape is starting to form, breakfast might be a lil late

That's all for today, I'd better show my face in the house as it's valentines day

Old 14th Feb 2013, 20:46   #10
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
EEk. Your chisels are looking unloved.
-I'm in the same boat, though. I dropped my sharpest one on the concrete yesterday. It's amazing how they can land point first every time you drop them.
Old 14th Feb 2013, 23:29   #11
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Quote:
-I'm in the same boat, though. I dropped my sharpest one on the concrete yesterday. It's amazing how they can land point first every time you drop them.
I was going to comment, but I didn't want to sound like a "tool snob"

I once dropped one I just finished sharpening. Went to catch it, got half way there and the logical side of the brain said "you idiot that's sharp as all get out" and then I sliced my finger. Only had to do that once lol

Plans look solid, going to be interested in seeing how this one turns out
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 23:44   #12
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Nahhh they're only rusty on the outside, I did sharpen them on a wet stone(funilly enough that was covered in rust too ) But yeah the chisels are not loved much, I guess they're not used to doing anything other than opening paint tins

The idea about the robot hand is looking like a better idea, I have had a reality check and realise that my woodwork skills are lacking (Thing just got an upgrade)

Old 14th Feb 2013, 23:50   #13
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I was going to comment, but I didn't want to sound like a "tool snob"

I once dropped one I just finished sharpening. Went to catch it, got half way there and the logical side of the brain said "you idiot that's sharp as all get out" and then I sliced my finger. Only had to do that once lol

Plans look solid, going to be interested in seeing how this one turns out
Thanks Mosquito

I was wondering if the wood offianados would be spluttering on their coffee, I'm not even going to pretend that I know my **** when it comes to wood, I'm just having a bit of a knock about.

I hear you with dropping chisels, catching them nearly always ends up with spilled claret. It's one of those things everyone does at least once

Old 15th Feb 2013, 18:04   #14
Asouter
--------

UPDATE 15/02/13

More progress today, starting to get the rough shape of the hand (Thing) Note the liberal scattering of wood chips (for artistic effect) and also one slightly less rusty chisel

I've had to do the pics at funny angles as I'm trying to hide that it oddly looks like a storm trooper

Now to find a suitable tool for the dremel and do some of the finer detail

Old 15th Feb 2013, 18:10   #15
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Oven mitt! -'cause, you know.. they get so hot.
Old 16th Feb 2013, 00:27   #16
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Oven mitt! -'cause, you know.. they get so hot.
Yeah, it does look like an oven mitt, or a boxing glove but it still leaves me with enough material to carve those fingers (if I'm brave enough) it was easier to get that rough shape than I expected so if carving the fingers goes the way of the pear, I could always start over

Old 16th Feb 2013, 05:21   #17
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by elAwesome View Post
That's why they make extensions.
Old 16th Feb 2013, 18:58   #18
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elAwesome View Post
Quote:
That's why they make extensions.
Ahh was trying to figure out how it'd work, extensions would do it

Old 16th Feb 2013, 19:18   #19
Asouter
--------

UPDATE 16/02/13

I have had a play with the dremel and found a decent tool for the finer shaping, I'm really pleased at the result

There's still some minor shaping left and then I can get some sanding done

and finally I couldn't resist having a quick look as to what it'll look like

The Raspberry Pi is a remarkable little piece of kit and the more that I read up about it the more impressed I am, I think I'm going to order one as the original idea of using a photo isn't going to do the build justice.....yeah I know I said I wouldn't spend any money but I think I can just about squeeze to buying the board.

Old 16th Feb 2013, 20:56   #20
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks great.

I only hope that you will use that hand for RPi only.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode