1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Black Betty - Updated

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jeroenotje, 15 Sep 2006.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

very nice polish work and great job with the acrylic

it's a great all-around case

2. Jeroenotje

Jeroenotje What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys :) . Reactions like those, is one of the things that makes it worth having a project log. Thank you all :) .
    Lighting will be done by UV-leds or UV-ccfl's. I'm not sure. Think I'm going to use LED's, but I don't know where to get a bunch of LED's. We'll see :) . Might going to use some UV-green CCFL's at spaces that remain pretty dark in the end. But we don't wan't a christmastree/lightbulb effect, so I need to think about it all carefully... Takes time.

3. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

I get LEDs at LSDiodes. Great prices and cheap, fast shipping "anywhere on the planet". Example, under 30 items, $2 shipping anywhere in the world.

4. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

looking really good

5. Jeroenotje

Thanks :) . Those LED's are pretty cheap.. I mean if you look at dutch resellers (if you can find them). Can't find a paying methode on this website, I mean, I do not have creditcard...

6. n0_rul3s

n0_rul3s What's a Dremel?

keep the good work...

7. floriske.nl

floriske.nl What's a Dremel?

If you are looking for a led supplier in the netherlands I would advise you to take a look at http://www.evolight.nl http://www.world-led.com or http://www.htvision.nl

8. Jeroenotje

9. Jeroenotje

Update

Update! Kind of....

So... I made some kind of a suspention for the PCB for the CRT screen. That thing needed to be shielded. So I started out with a mockup for it.
    [​IMG]
    Does A.C.Ryan sells material for mockups? Ehmmm... Well, the carboard that comes with you mesh and acrylic panels is ideal for making mockups. It's kind of thin, but it works fine :) .
    [​IMG]
    One side..
    [​IMG]
    Two..
    [​IMG]
    Upperside ;) .
    [​IMG]
    Kind of how it should be. The holders needs to get tweaked a bit.. I've been thinking about making one shield on top, instead of smaller ones and one holder. What I think is cool: This fits.. Soo tight, so perfect:
    [​IMG]
    These potmeters are directly accesable from the side :) . And the underside of the pcb is shielded! So nice. But.. (ghehe) I wanted to make a sheet of plastic between the pcb and the bottomplate.. Stupid me. That will make the pcb come up, so I need to make that holder bigger to. Whatever.
    NEVER, throw anything away. This sheet of.. crap.. is cool stuff :) .
    [​IMG]
    I think it's PVC, atleast it's plastic. It has some nice features.. One one side it's flat. But it's like a mirror on the other side!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's me and the camera I'm using ;) .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kind of.. Stuck. I don't know what to do for the shields.
    [​IMG]

I can't make something i'm not satisfied with. So I needed to start something else. The frontpanel?
    To hold the plate that is holding the CRT, I made some holder thingies. Why did I made that crap? It's crap, it useless. So, I drilled some holes directly into the chassis and tapped them.
    [​IMG]
    New design, kind of crap to.
    [​IMG]
    Better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Removed the fronts of my new dvd-player and dvd-burner.
    These ones need to go back a bit. But the Chieftec click system isn't made for that ;) .
    [​IMG]
    Here's the solution.
    [​IMG]
    I was already using the last hole. But this stuff.. Drilling these holes was like.. A JOB FROM H#LL! Damn, this plastic is soft. But those steel things of whatever those clicking things are made of where so hard! And the friction of the drill made the plastic melt.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, well, it worked. I'm a bad fotographer, but I think you are all able to see that the lower one is sitting more back now.
    [​IMG]
    Done. Now the frontpanel itself. This is going to be a 5mm thickness UV-green sheet of acrylic with on top of it a sheet of aluminium, where every bit will be cut out that you are now able to see on the cardboard. At the sleds of the dvd-drives will be some uv-green acrylic to and some of the details will become eject buttons. I'll mount this thing on top op the edge that normally mounts the baycovers. How I'm going to mount it.. Will remain a secret ;) .
    [​IMG]
    The with/lenght idea of the hole for this crt screen is.. Isn't correct. I'll fix that ;) . Everthing is still in the design/thinking fase. I'm not begging you guys for how to do this or letting you guys between some options. But a little feedback at this moment would be nice ;) . Update will follow soon :) .

10. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice work!

I think the crt looks funny(in a good way) as the case is so next generation and awsome, then theres a old monitor! i like the contrast between the new and old!

all your work is.... perfect!

11. Jeroenotje

Update! Actualy it's to late, a day or so. I had zero time. I'm sorry ;) .

I'll kickoff with the holders for the frontpanel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some cheapass 5mm scrap plastic.
    [​IMG]
    What glue? Hm.. I decided to take the 'EXPERT plastic kleber', LOL, the blue one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Secured with a piece of tape, so they won't come of when the glue is drying.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It Verks!
    Meanwhile... My workshop.. Why am I collecting to much.. scrap?
    [​IMG]
    Decided to move all the plate material. Instead of the left side of the table, I moved it to the wall at the other side of the room.
    [​IMG]
    Yay, just like Ollie's car :) . It looks like a lot of aluminium. Most of it is just.. useless to me. It's anodized, to thick or to thin :( . In that box are two 120mm rads I bought :) . Not sure what I'm going to do with those two things... In front is a 17" CRT, anyone willig to buy it? It's for sale.
    Anyway, I have more space for important stuff now:
    [​IMG]
    Gabrage.
    Might be cool to post the view from my workshop. Our drivelane and the route.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting stuff!! The frontpanel
    Interessante dingen.... Het frontpaneel....
    [​IMG]
    Construction while filing.
    This edge was just 2mm to thick. I figured out this to late.. I was already wondering why it couldn't fit :blush: .
    [​IMG]
    This was solved easy with a knifa and my DREMEL :) . Hmm..
    [​IMG]
    The blocks came of. The glue couldnt hold it. Maybe I should have sanded it better before. Hm, redone it with superglue this time. And I putted some glue at the piece I removed, so I can smooth it out.
    Meanwhile I bought some stuff. Went to the store for some sawblades..
    [​IMG]
    I came back with a "I have no idea how to call it in english instrument but I bet you guys can tell me" and a sanding block. No sawblades, I'm such an asshole.
    [​IMG]
    Tadaa!
    [​IMG]
    Tadaa!
    This thing fits soooo tight :) . It's clambed, so tight. I realy did not wanted to do anything wrong, that would have costed me to much material and time this time.... Time for polishing and sawing now? Not exactly, I made I tiny little mistake.. I'll work on it today. And I need to drill holes for screws, that's what the blocks are for ;) .

12. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Looks like a micrometer. Very nice work. Great attention to detail. Looking forward to the next update.

13. Jeroenotje

Thanks mate.

It's not a micrometer... A friend of my did some gooling.. it's a Caliper I think:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper
    Such a usefull instrument! Why didn't I bought one before? For example: measuring the thickness of a material. Diffucult to do with a ruler, easy job with a caliper. Yeah, I recommend good tools to everybody. Good instruments to!

14. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Pretty much the same. A micrometer caliper is a bit more accurate I guess, but that was my 'lazy' way of naming it.
    Cheers.

15. Jeroenotje

Update!

Tiny mistake I was talking about last time. Hole for a screw and one of the gaps...
    [​IMG]
    Drilled some holes.
    [​IMG]
    Saw was needed this time to make sure the gaps for the dvd trays would fit. All holes are centerpunched.
    [​IMG]
    Stepdrilling, to make sure I'll drill right in center. 2mm, 3mm etc.
    [​IMG]
    Sawing: it's better to stay between the lines so i need to file a lot, then sawing outside the lines I gues ;) .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lot's of filing:
    [​IMG]
    Tape removed, holes tapped.
    [​IMG]
    Drawn out the holes and cutted away at the acrylic. Holes drilled, ready to saw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wetsanding:
    [​IMG]
    Grid 600
    [​IMG]
    Grid 1200
    Polishing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Polishing is still unfinished as you can see. This remains a hell of a job ;) . Don't know if I will leave the acrylic in front of the screen. I like it actually :) . I still need to make the buttons and fronts for the dvd drives. This and the polishing job wil take place. Hm, probably this week. Stay tuned.

16. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

i'm giving up my "69er" title to post this :grr:

this project is lookin awesome! If you want more shielding, you can use thin alloy sheet on each side of the pvc, all glued together and both sheets bolted/conducting to the case - this would be double-layer shielding which is very good.

17. KaotiK

KaotiK What's a Dremel?

Looks amazing :thumb: I want one of those screens :grr:

18. Lupo_IM

Lupo_IM ItaliaModding staff

wow!!! great mod!!! ;)

19. lisimengok

lisimengok What's a Dremel?

great....this CaseMOD very interesting

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

oh looking good :thumb: