1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why should I upgrade to Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dr. Strangelove, 18 Jul 2007.

1. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

Reasons to upgrade to windows vista... Well mine (will be),

1) Better 64bit support.
    1.5) which leads to... happiness with 4GB ram.
    2) DirectX10 Support
    3) If you select the 'Windows classic' interface, it doesn't look too bad.

2. RTT

RTT #parp

I downgraded from Vista back to XP this week... i've been running Vista since February.

Reasons:

Every other restart some service would run and completely screw things up (laggy GUI, unresponsive mouse/keyboard), requiring a reboot to fix it, and sometimes even more. Very annoying :( I could probably find out what this was and sort it though.

UAC. I didn't want to turn it off (having being bitten for the first time in years by malware in a freeware app whilst UAC was off) and for some reason, the UAC prompt thing would turn my displays off for 5-10 seconds then bring them back into life before I could see the UAC prompt box.
    I have no idea why this was and very little motivation to find out why

Deleting/moving/copying files is dreadful, partly with UAC to blame here again.

Although Vista is very speedy, the UI is not speedy. Aero makes interacting with things a bit slower, IMO. This wasn't a big deal, but going back to XP i quite like windows appearing and disappearing very fast again ;)

The only thing I miss is the fast-search... pressing the windows key on my keyboard, typing the name of an app and pressing enter. I want this ported to XP :(

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

QFT - "Readyboost has stopped working" "Superfetch has stopped working"

I found a re-install fixed this, but have no idea what the problem was.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

I've re-installed vista 2 or 3 times to avoid activation... recurring problem it would seem :(

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

thankfully you can turn off all the transition effects just like in XP, i discovered this when i had to use a vista machine for more than 10 minutes :p

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've had consistent problems with Vista. The only thing that would make up upgrade is a far better look (dont care for snazzy graphics but there's FINALLY no redraw: hardware acceleration rocks) and search.

I've had problems with:

Far poorer wifi reception then XP
    copying large files sometimes breaks
    deleting large folders breaks, cancel doesnt work well
    add/remove programs is in a shitty place
    a TON MORE services need to run, more memory
    games break
    Poor sound drivers for my Inferno 7.1
    Shut down problems

It needs a service pack, badly.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

I know, but i liked them a lot :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I have to say I quite like Vista - the only real problem I've had is coming out of standby with two monitors (at different resolutions) connected. I've turned UAC off, use a "standard" user account and have both anti-virus and anti-spyware running :)

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Having UAC is like having my mother inside a computer when I was 3.

"Is that what you want to do?" "Is that OK?" "Are you sure?"

I lub my ma to bits but I'm 21 years older now and can decide for myself!! :|

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

they drive me nuts even in XP so the default vista ones are just impossible for me :p

11. dutchcowes

dutchcowes less is more

hi,

Bought premium edit vista for £38 deliverd as a misprice from ebuyer, runs fine no problems so far. Still got xp op a seperate drive, just a case of swopping cables over if I want to go back to xp.

using modded 158.45 drivers for my 7900GTO and CSS and Stalker seem to run fine, have not decided on burning software yet, Nero, Ashampoo or Roxio that's the question.

But on the whole I like Vista and apart from graphics drivers had not any issues yet after 2 months.

12. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Is this the same as the "indexing" desktop search that you can install on XP? I have a little address box in my task bar that i can type stuff into that i am serching for. As i type it starts to bring up files. Is this the same as in Vista?

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

yep, but it's built in everywhere in Vista.

14. gmail

gmail What's a Dremel?

personally, i don't see the need to upgrade at all , if you upgrade think about all the software compatabily issues ,its gonna be a pain in the ass..

15. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

While I am primarily a Mac user on my own time, at work I am the Director of IT and sadly I have to work with Winblows..I mean Windows.

My thoughts on Vista are that it needs some time to mature, just as XP did when it first came out. As a school (I work at a school) we are not even considering Vista until at least its first service pack is released, maybe not even then.

On a personal level, I've used every Vista edition, from home to Ultimate. I dislike them all, but if you ARE going to go with Vista, at least get Business if not Ultimate. The Home and Home Premium editions are crippled and utterly worthless.

Tags: