Apple Best Winamp equivalent?

Discussion in 'Software' started by riggs, 20 Jul 2007.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

So, I took the plunge and bought a Mac (not a new one mind you, went for a 2nd hand G4 12" PowerBook). I'm loving it so far but I'm missing one thing; a good MP3 software solution. I've been using Winamp (PC) for god-knows how long, and that's what I'm used to (a player as opposed to a library). I don't own an iPod, and can't see my self ever buying music from Apple, so that and a few other points put me off using iTunes.

Can anyone recommend a good, stable Winamp alternative, with support for all major formats?

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Honestly I can't recommend anything other than iTunes - I know it's probably not what you want to hear though. It'll take some getting used to though... :/

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

something besides iTunes for music playing on a mac!? BLASPHEMER!!!

TBH, I can't think of anything off the top of my head at all... besides iTunes anyway.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

iTunes on a mac is great. The only other option I can think of is VLC? It is very basic tho!

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

there must be some widget or something flash based...

6. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

iTunes is fine on OS X. If you can find an installer on the internet for version 6, rather than version 7, use that.

7. steele

steele What's a Dremel?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm surprised they haven't ported Winamp over to Mac - it's such a brilliant program, and a cornerstone of a lot of people's music on PC.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

In the same respect I wonder why Amarok (Linux) isn't ported to Windows. It owns Winamp in allmost all areas...

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

Cheers Steele! From the screenshots, Toolplayer looks quite nice (small and simple) - may give that a try. I've already started using iTunes but tbh, I'm not convinced - there's something about it I just don't like, although I can't quite put my finger on it...

There is actually an (unofficial?) alpha version, but apparently it's not too hot atm. Hopefully they'll stick with it and get a final version sorted eventually. *crosses fingers*

11. steele

steele What's a Dremel?

I know what you mean about itunes, i feel the same. Think its a control thing, in that it tries to do to much for you and kinda leaves you out of any decisions it makes!! (or could just be I don't really know how to use it).

Toolplayer is simple. And play is meant to be good for tagging

Steele

12. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

As a mac and ipod user, I can honestly say I could never use anything other than itunes, it's corny to say but "It just works"

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I 1UP this. I've started to use iTunes in the past few months and am beginning to like it. Very simple and easy to manage large audio collections--which are, hopefully, legitimate collections. However, my use of Winamp as an all-purpose media player is still unrivaled.

Tags: