1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PGR4 won't fit on a DVD, content axed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Aug 2007.

1. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

But the builders don't come in everytime the lighting changes so they can replaster the front of the building...

As I said, I'm not a whizz at these things, but other games manage the day/night cycle without busting the space limits.

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/05/25/sony_sued_for_blu-ray_patent/1#comments
    http://www.techpowerup.com/?36327

3. Edenalig

Edenalig What's a Dremel?

That seems sensible to me, but im sure there would be the negativity of people not wanting/affording a HDD blah etc. My downloaded content is there, why not temp textures etc?

4. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

Blu-Ray has more disk space than HD-DVD?

Really?

http://www.physorg.com/news87584681.html

Ratified and tested already, and will work with all current-gen and first-gen HD-DVD players. Blu-Ray on the other hand...not finalized.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Indeed but you wouldn't expect a console to render every single light source in a typical night time scene, a lot of background stuff would be prerendered requiring its own texture sets for the sake of speed.

There is also the case of making the level more interesting, realistic lighting might be cool in a simulation but in an arcade game too much detail could be lost with a night time level.

6. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

That's what I was thinking. :/

Anyway, I'll give this one to Sony, I guess. HAI FAIVE!

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

They really should make use of the HDD for games.

8. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

I remember the days when you had 2 flavours for some games, floppy and CD, the latter having extra content
    why not PGR4 and PGR4+ ? on DVD and HD-DVD respectively ?

9. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

MS have repeatedly stated that they won't allow the HD-DVD to be used for games. I suspect primarily because it's quite an expensive add-on and they haven't sold as many as they may have hoped. There may be technical reasons as well, but I would suspect that the majority of 360 owners would have the HDD already, so that would make more sense.

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Two options:
    • compress environment data to fit onto a DVD-ROM, then uncompress and install onto the hard disk drive at first use
    • continue development as planned, however, include a second disc, a CD-ROM, with data that could not fit on the primary DVD and install it onto the hard disk drive at first use; run from only the DVD-ROM thereafter.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Problem with that is not everybody buys a premium, there are a lot of people out there who just have a Core model with no HDD and MS have to support them.

This is the problem with having such a cut down cheap model it restricts the experience of the people with the full fut model or forces devs to do a fork if they want to gve the full experience, but having two versions of one game out there means that one version is not going to sell well and therefore cost you one way or another, much easier just to do the one size fits all approach.

12. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Lol... I was seriously convinced it came with a hard disk drive all this time after hearing so many people claim it to be such "great value" whereas a PS3 wasn't.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2007
  13. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I know that, but there are games coming that require the HDD. Bizarre should have added PGR4 to that list.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There are games coming that are rumoured to require a hard disc but I doubt they will surface, MS controls there platform well and from a user experience and sales perspective cutting your market down by requiring a HDD or HD-DVD would be a mistake, doesn't matter how big the sticker on the box is it will be a returns nightmare and will impact sales, there may be games where the experience is enhanced by the HDD (caching purposes etc.) but I doubt it will ever be a requirement, currently the market even at 10mill is too small, unless the ratio is something like 98% have HDD but I doubt that though, between me and my friends its a 60/40 split.

15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

And screw over the customers who went for the core? "You can play the all new PGR4. You just need the $100 addon first!". That doesn't roll off anyway you try and spin it as far as 360 goes. MS advertised the 360 as not HDD dependent when clearly it should have been.

16. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Simple, provide a two disk game, with the advice to install the second DVD's content onto the hard drive and then run from the first.

Only got the core model? Then just disk swap, it's hardly that much of a chore, and not all that many people have the core model to be honest, most have hard disks.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

19. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Me too, downloading it through live would be a bad idea if you have no where to save it too :duh: :lol:

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The majority of console sales for the 360 are for the premium system, if they bump down the price of the HDD, they won't annoy too many customers if they required the 360 to have a HDD.

I think Bizzare would probably be able to squeeze PGR4 onto one DVD if they really tried, they could utilise that procedural texturing doohicky that a few of the xbox live arcade games use to cut down the size of the game.

Tags: Add Tags